YZ 250 updates buy years info please

hi

im interested in info about updates to the yz250 from over the last say 15 years

nothing super tech , just the major changes

basically i know that yz125 was a new bike for 96 then again in 2005

thats the type of info i need please

The bike had changes every year..some more than others. Yamaha tended to stay with the same basic design and modify it rather than scrapping everything every few years. I remember working on a 1982 yz 250 and a 97 on the same day. You could tell the two engines were very similar.

The MAJOR points would be a new engine design in 99 that was revised from then until 2003. It basically stopped there. Previous to that, the engine was changed some from year to year, but many of the parts would change over.

The last chassis geometry change was between 1997 and 98 when the steering head angle was decreased by 1/2 degree. Basically the 2009 yz 250 still uses the same steering geometry as the 1998 model. The frame changed to aluminum in 2005, but the chassis geometry was not altered.

The plastic changed between the 2001 and 2002 bike. The 2002 tank, seat, and airbox is still in use. The front fender and numberplate changed between 2005 and 2006. The fork guards changed in 2008.

The suspension change to the SSS fork in 2006 is probably considered a major change as well.

I have found that transmissions are the same for bikes yz 250 95-98 according to the yamaha parts website.

2002 - received new plastics (the same as the current ones now), minor porting in the engine

2003 - last minor porting done on the engine

2004 - 1-lb lighter than the '03 and a new 48mm forks from 46mm

2005 - first year of the aluminum frame, which is 5 lbs lesser than the steel frame

2006 - speed-sensitive system forks (SST) introduced, a new stock pipe and a shiny cylinder

2007 - some internal changes on the forks, Pro-Taper handlebar from the usual Renthal, N3EW needle on the carb from previous N3EJ, back to the dull-colored cylinder, 1-lb lesser than the '06

2008 - Wave rotors, yet again some internal fork valving changes, 4mm shorter forks, almost 2 lbs lesser than the '07

2009 - 1-lb lesser than the '08, new DID gold chain, new front tires. The "YZ250 sticker" in the rear fender is no longer there :worthy:

can you tell me when the "new" motor was released ,,,,,99 or 2000

You guys are forgetting that the 06 had a flatter seat profile.They added 10mm right in the middle so the seat had less of a slope.

can you tell me when the "new" motor was released ,,,,,99 or 2000

The new motor was for the 99 model year. It would have been available mid-year in 98 which is why that info gets misquoted so often. Dirt Bike magazine did just that a few months back.

The new motor was for the 99 model year. It would have been available mid-year in 98 which is why that info gets misquoted so often. Dirt Bike magazine did just that a few months back.

thank you sir !

I am looking to buy one. I have found a 06($3k), 08 ($4k) and 09($5k) . The 06 is stock. The 08 has FC suspension and the 09 has FC suspension, FMF pipe, flywheel weight and a few more odds and ends. All are in about the same shape. Whats the better deal?

I am looking to buy one. I have found a 06($3k), 08 ($4k) and 09($5k) . The 06 is stock. The 08 has FC suspension and the 09 has FC suspension, FMF pipe, flywheel weight and a few more odds and ends. All are in about the same shape. Whats the better deal?

Get the best compromise.... if you're happy with wave rotors, suspension revalved-forks (FC that is), stock 4mm shorter forks, a bike that is barely 2-years old, and a bike that is more than 2-lbs lighter than the 2006 model then get the 2008 model :worthy:

For me, US$1,000 difference between the '06 and '08 is still acceptable, but the grand difference between the '08 and '09 is not funny at all.

Else, if you are after the shiny cylinder, and not particular about those itemized above, then settle for the '06 (a 4-year old bike by 2010, but doesn't matter at all basically the '06 thru '09 models are almost exactly the same bikes).

....Oh by the way, the 2009 has a "better", as Yamaha puts it, welded joints at the steering column of the frame to address cold-weld issues of the past models :lol:

Wasn't 2000 the first year of the TPS carb on the yz?

so the 99 motor is the same as the 09?

so the 99 motor is the same as the 09?

The configuration and even the looks are the same, but there had been porting changes in between years until 2003. the bore x stroke is the same all over since '99 til todate (longer stroke than the pre-99).

Hey wanderer,

How did they save the weight in making the transition from the 08 to the 09 model. I thought the 09 just scored BNG.

Bergermeister

G'day Berg, kindly see MXA '09 YZ250 article

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=BF09DBC6D53E42F98D09B16C18698E12

Says here at the section "what Yami did for the '09 model....?" ---- it's a good pound lighter than the '08

Thanks wanderer!

You certainly are the 'linkmaster' when it comes to all things blue. I've said it before, but I reckon you could be a weapon in Yamaha's marketting division. Afterall, you've got to believe in the product your selling :worthy:

Good to see you keeping the two stroke dream alive!

Like yourself, I am a certified 'TwoStrokeBloke'! :banana: