Obama's Solar Engery land grab.

This doesn't really have much to do with Obama. It's been in the pipeline for at least a year. They had all these project applications. They kind of put them all on hold to do a study system wide to find where they could go.

Yes it's guaranteed to effect riding areas. The maps don't appear to be available yet.

Most likely is referring to the blm land south of the plaster plant @plaster city and around the salton sea area. There has been some meeting with El Centro residents and local property owners. I really want to see the condition of those panels after a long weekend of wind. I know car windows don't fair too well. Superstition is next with a windfarm, yay.

Most likely is referring to the blm land south of the plaster plant @plaster city and around the salton sea area. There has been some meeting with El Centro residents and local property owners. I really want to see the condition of those panels after a long weekend of wind. I know car windows don't fair too well. Superstition is next with a windfarm, yay.

No, this was an analysis of all BLM land nationwide. Now the areas you mention are surely part of the plan, but that is two projects out of about 600.

The solar/wind lands inside of JV, actually inside of the Marine's study area have all been put on hold pending the work and a decision as to whether the Marine's take the land or not. There were at least five different projects affected by the Withdrawal of land by the BLM. Withdrawal in this case means that the land was taken out of circulation and set aside for the Marine's until such time as a decision is reached or the Marine's decide to do something different. Current uses stay the same, but any new proposals, such as alt energy, get put on hold.

There are far more projects being studied outside of JV. I had the BLM Barstow office put together a map of the affected areas about a year ago, and it is very depressing to look at. We would lose land everywhere in the desert. This includes most of Calico, sections of Superior, most of the access to the San Bernardino National Forest from the Apple Valley foothills, and many other areas scattered across the desert.

A the time that I had the map made, there was a moratorium on projects because the BLM Desert District was swamped with proposals. There were around 50 proposals at that time. Since then, the Fed BLM management has overturned the moratorium and new proposals have come into the offices. None of this looks good for San Bernardino County riding. Even Stoddard Wells would be affected, literally cut in half by one of the proposals.

It is not likely that all of these proposals will go through, but certainly some of them will. With wind projects, we have been repeatedly told that once they are build, we would still be able to access the areas, only having to stay away from the bases of the towers and outside of a staging area, that typically runs about 5 acres. With solar, we won't have any access, and there may be buffer fences built around the solar plants to protect the mirrors/panels from vandalism.

If any of the proposals in the current open areas go through, it could effectively spell the end of organized racing in these areas.

If anyone is interested in getting maps of these proposals, you can go to the local BLM office that is responsible for the area in question and pay them $20-30 to prepare a map for you. They are very helpful with these requests. You just need to be patient. It usually takes a couple of weeks to get the map ready.