Sign in to follow this  

03 rm 250 v.s 00 cr250

give me the good and bad of both a 2000 cr250 and a 2003 rm250, my buddy may want to trade his rm for my cr...which would you rather have? based on ridability not newer models or older models...

Ok, if we are not going "older model vs. newer model", rather in a sense, "if both were brand new which is better".

In this case the Suzuki will be better in every way, it even beat out the '03 CR250 (in '03) in a number of MX shootouts (for what they are worth). And I assume that an '03 CR250 would beat an '00 CR250.

Beyond all of that, Honda was still trying to understand aluminum frames in 2000, back then the suspension was considered harsh because the frame was overly ridgid. Also, back then the 250's got more powerful every year so I would expect the RM to not only have more power but a wider powerband as well.

So really only keep the Honda if you want it, not because it may be faster. Granted, if it fits you like a glove then by all means "keep it!".

For me the RM is a way better package, it fits my style and rips when I need a bike to rip.

the 2000 and the 2001 cr250's were the best years for the cr 2smoker

i still ride a 2000 model every weekend. best bike i have ever owned.

the honda is a great indestructable bike compared to his suzuki, i have more aftermarket goodies to pep it up...i've always been on a honda so the ergonomics is what im used to BUT its time to get out there and explore more different bikes bc hinda isnt th only producer of mx bikes XD...i do love my honda and yes the fact that its newer is the reason i may trade just for more money back when i sell it, but i am curiosa to both handle versus one another and the diference in powers..i have noticed the zuki doesnt have as much snap mabe bc i have the afterm. reed valve system and the zuk does not, but the suki turnes on a dime and just feels more lighter and nimble to me which to tell you the truth kinda scares me XD. the handle bars shake out of control at higher speeds :/

another thing is suki doesnt seem to stay stable when pulling the throttle i mean as i pull my throttle back the bike gradually gets faster and the sound is fluent, the zuki on the other hands seems to spudder and stop go stop go kinda thing as if its "hickuping" if you hold the throttle steady or pull it slowly. any reason for this "newer updated model" doing this? mabe my reed valve system helping smooth it out or something?

Ok, if we are not going "older model vs. newer model", rather in a sense, "if both were brand new which is better".

In this case the Suzuki will be better in every way, it even beat out the '03 CR250 (in '03) in a number of MX shootouts (for what they are worth). And I assume that an '03 CR250 would beat an '00 CR250.

Beyond all of that, Honda was still trying to understand aluminum frames in 2000, back then the suspension was considered harsh because the frame was overly ridgid. Also, back then the 250's got more powerful every year so I would expect the RM to not only have more power but a wider powerband as well.

So really only keep the Honda if you want it, not because it may be faster. Granted, if it fits you like a glove then by all means "keep it!".

For me the RM is a way better package, it fits my style and rips when I need a bike to rip.

the 03 and up cr's from what i hear the engine is no comparisson to the 2000, the 2000 is much more reliable, and almost bulletproof(sarcasm).. and yes your right my bike has the stock suspension and is terrably rff and hard even adusting it as low as possible..its just a ruff hard hitting power and doesnt give any mercy to your arms(your shock absorbors on this bike) XD.on the other hand the suki is sooooooo soft and almost feels like im floating ontop the ground instead of digging and pulling and riding on golfballs! thats deff a plus on the suki.

well my buddie i ride with has a 00 cr250 and i have a 01 rm250 and a 03 rm250. Both my suzuks have way more lowend power and just more overall power everywhere. Suzuk will out corner the honda all day, they turn so much better its not even funny. much lighter feeling also somehow even though its not. And as far a a 00 cr250 being the best cr 2t ever made, as t300 said. not even close, ive rode a 05 and 06 cr250 and they were much much better bikes then the 00. Better frame better engine better suspension. I have to say i believe the 00 honda cr250 is the worst 2t i have ever rode 4 me. Ill take a 01 or newer suzuki rm250 or yamaha yz250 any day over a honda cr250.

o ya by the way if the suzuk has a spudder or hickuping as u say there is something wrong with it. it may just be a jetting problem or who knows just be carefull when trading for a bike u dont think runs right. Because the suzuk 250s i own and have ride n run very strong. i have rode every 2 stroke made almost from 00 and up. By far to me the suzukis and the yamahas r the best 2 stroke bikes made hands down:smirk:

one of my main dirt riding friends rides a 00 cr250

the 00 and 01 are known for having the best motor of cr250 2-strokes

having said that, him and I both prefer my 02 rm250 for its motor and suspension :worthy:

For mx I would go with the rm but for trails I'd stick with the cr. Two traits that stick out on the rm is cornering ability and a more explosive motor. Suspension on both are going to be simular in stock form but the cr is going to be much more adjustable in the revalve department. For trails it would be hard to beat honda's all around package of a good motor, handeling, and better stability at speeds. 00'-01' are good bikes and though they improved through 07' in frame and suspension they never got back the motor they once had (not for offroad). Your either going to tone the rm down for offroad or pep up the cr for mx.

I would go riding with your buddy and spend the day on the RM then on the CR. Which one do YOU feel more comfortable on(not just what you are used to)??? Also take into consideration how you and your friend take care of your bikes. My cousin and I rode together all the time when we were younger and his newer bike was not even close to the condition of my 5 year older YZ at the time. I also agree that the Suzuki should not feel like it is surging. Could be minor like jetting, could be more serious. What is your friends opinion on this condition? Does he even notice it? Think long and hard about it before you do anything. Also why does HE want to trade so bad??? Be carefull, it could put a strain on your friendship if you find out he is going riding and you are stuck with his old bike that is now broke down.:lol:

But if both are compairable in condition I would rather have the RM. I feel that it is a better bike as a whole. In my area it seems as though the RM would cost about the same as a 2000 CR...right around $1700-1900, which seems a little high for a 2000 bike. but i guess if someone out there is willing to pay it. Is there any way you can post photos on here for us to compare? Good luck and let us know what you decide.:worthy:

one of my main dirt riding friends rides a 00 cr250

the 00 and 01 are known for having the best motor of cr250 2-strokes

having said that, him and I both prefer my 02 rm250 for its motor and suspension :worthy:

thats what i hear from a lot of people, that 00 and 01 r the best years for the cr motor. i dont get it, ive been on 00 up to 06 and to me the 00 and 01 engines were the worst. i cant stand the weak lowend power. must just be me or iam just used to a much better running suzuki and yamaha.

thats what i hear from a lot of people, that 00 and 01 r the best years for the cr motor. i dont get it, ive been on 00 up to 06 and to me the 00 and 01 engines were the worst. i cant stand the weak lowend power. must just be me or iam just used to a much better running suzuki and yamaha.

+1 :worthy:

I would go riding with your buddy and spend the day on the RM then on the CR. Which one do YOU feel more comfortable on(not just what you are used to)??? Also take into consideration how you and your friend take care of your bikes. My cousin and I rode together all the time when we were younger and his newer bike was not even close to the condition of my 5 year older YZ at the time. I also agree that the Suzuki should not feel like it is surging. Could be minor like jetting, could be more serious. What is your friends opinion on this condition? Does he even notice it? Think long and hard about it before you do anything. Also why does HE want to trade so bad??? Be carefull, it could put a strain on your friendship if you find out he is going riding and you are stuck with his old bike that is now broke down.:worthy:

But if both are compairable in condition I would rather have the RM. I feel that it is a better bike as a whole. In my area it seems as though the RM would cost about the same as a 2000 CR...right around $1700-1900, which seems a little high for a 2000 bike. but i guess if someone out there is willing to pay it. Is there any way you can post photos on here for us to compare? Good luck and let us know what you decide.:thumbsup:

well i lost the usb for my camera working on that.. having transportation issues from a bad desicion, to get to the store to buy one.. but i will try if this forum is still active..i havent logged on for a while sorry about that guys, recently decided to go to college..so been very busy, but the bikes trade status is still being considered.. btw thanx all for input, your guys are very helpful.