Sign in to follow this  

higway Ride

Anyone done alot of highway riding on the wr250r? Would a 5 hr ride be stupid on the interstate. I am thinking about this. let me know what you think. I may divert from interstate and use a 2 lane highway instead. Just not sure if i should try this.

i have done 700 miles on one weekend on highway. it just gets boring sometimes. also i was on the two lane road that follows a main highway. the seat is the biggest killer. having the small tank is cool because it is just enough time btw stops for a break IMO. make sure chain is lubed and tires are up to pressure and get on down the road man.

I've done several ~200 mile asphalt trips with mine. The only thing I would bring up is that she likes to go 65 and below. We have a few 75mph interstates here in Oklahoma and I try to avoid those. The smaller highways and backroads that are 65 and below are no problem whatsoever and I could ride them all day long.

Agree on all counts...

I do a 120Mi commute once or twice each week. In fact, just got in. :lol:

As far as speed I'll usually take the interstate and go 55-65, and just stay to the right. Days like today when I'm running behind, I'm pushing 65-70 and with stock gearing that works out ok, but you'll work a little harder. I just switched to a 46 tooth rear for the street and now pushing 65-70 (75+ stock) the vibration is real heavy through the bars. Note, I'm a lightweight and these are all guestimated speeds based on indicated speed.(plenty of time to do the math in my head on a boring commute...:lol: )

In addition to the seat, revs and maintenance I would also tell you to keep check on the wind. My daily driver used to be a BMW tourer, and I quickly remembered how a little headwind or crosswind makes a big difference on these little bikes.

If you're going to go 500 Mi at highway revs, especially if you find that you are closer to 70mph than 55mph, I would consider changing the oil when you get to your destination - Definitely when you get back. :worthy:

If I were going that far without being on an absolute schedule, I would do a little of both: interstate and two lane just to keep it interesting. Heck take a few fire roads while you're at it. It might also help to keep you more relaxed and focused for the ride... :lol:

Safe trip!

I've never gone that far because once the seat starts hurting me it feels like 5mins back on the bike and my butt hurts again

I don't really think the bike does that bad at around 70 75 starts to stretch it

Wind protection wise I got my screen back on today and have it set perfect. I did a ride this weekend where i was on the highway for a bit without it MISERABLE and the bike can't do 70 near as easy without the windscreen as it does with it.

What road(s) and what mods do you have? I live in Wichita Falls,Tx.

i have the q4 exhaust, fmf programmer, airbox open, stock gearing setup for this journey, stock wr250r tires (rear tire is worn). I had the michelin ac10 on the rear (brand new), with 12 tooth front sprocket and decided i better change back to stock gearing and tire for this long highway ride.

I am planning on riding from Houston going 1.5 hours west of San Antonio, TX

Last September I took my machine from Bend, OR down to Forestville, CA (Sonoma County). On the way down I pealed off of 97 and made my way towards Grants Pass and Route 1. I had planned on jumping onto the 101, but when Route 1 ran inland I stayed on it: the fog and the cold was brutal. On the return trip home I took a route through Calistoga, cleared that little mountian range, and hopped on I-5.....I will never do this trip again on this bike. You can spike this thing up to 90+, but if you keep it there too long it's likely to explode. 70 is an acceptable cruising speed. Try to ignore the fellahs flying by you on their dressed up BMWs.......can make a man jealous.

I had (and still have) the rs-2 Yoshimura pipe, FMF Power Programmer, Air box fully molested, stock gearing, and stock tires. I used a duffel bag and shouldered a back pack......don't shoulder the pack.

Wind protection wise I got my screen back on today and have it set perfect. I did a ride this weekend where i was on the highway for a bit without it MISERABLE and the bike can't do 70 near as easy without the windscreen as it does with it.

Turbo, if you think you'll do highway more often, I'd recommend you invest in a screen too. I've got a TCI screen and it does make a huge difference. I've made the same runs both with and without - and it's worth every penny.

The only thing i dislike about the screen is if I want to slab to some technical riding where then I wouldnt want it on the bike but thats the only time I would not want it

The only thing i dislike about the screen is if I want to slab to some technical riding where then I wouldnt want it on the bike but thats the only time I would not want it

Ditto. Good thing it's easy to remove. Get whacked in the face with it yet Jaynen? :lol: Nothing like rolling over a hill and seeing and Feeling windscreen... :worthy:

A mini screen bolted right to the headlight shell takes off "just enuf" from your chest/arms to make high speed slab, (even relative high speeds), better. See the KTM Super Duke "touring" or 690 SMR screen. About $50 & won't obstruct your crashing body in a tumble.

Ditto. Good thing it's easy to remove. Get whacked in the face with it yet Jaynen? :lol: Nothing like rolling over a hill and seeing and Feeling windscreen... :worthy:

I rode a 100+ mile dual sport ride with a lot of dirt roads with drain washes and rocks etc with the screen on and it was fine except one time I clonked it with my helmet because I was sitting when I should have been standing.

Levity has a laminar lip for an 07 and older KLR on his that looks like a trick setup for something you could leave on the bike but I don't know how much air it pushes compared to mine.

I flatten out on the tank when I want out of the wind or just getting sore-butt; only for a few miles though. 100 miles gets my junk feeling weird; like someone's cupping it; and not someone I like.

Anyone done alot of highway riding on the wr250r? Would a 5 hr ride be stupid on the interstate. I am thinking about this. let me know what you think. I may divert from interstate and use a 2 lane highway instead. Just not sure if i should try this.

The R2 certainly has the power and endurance to make the ride, the knobbies will start to burn off, I mean, they weren't designed for the HWY right?

But yeah, I don't see why it shouldn't make the ride.

I just got done with a 5 1/2 hour ride on my bike. I stuck to 2 lane backroads most of the way, had to hit the highway for the last 30-40 miles of a 300 mile trip. I planned my fuel stops every 100 miles, worked perfect cause my fuel light would come on and I would be at the gas station within .3 miles. The 5 1/2 hours was actual moving time according to the GPS and my bike is stock except for the exhaust tip, I opened it up to match the size of the hole in the end cap.

I drove from North Dakota to Washington and back, 3000 miles total. Keep an eye on your chain. I wrecked a front spocket, chain, and wore into the swingarm pretty bad. The bike will go 75mph all day long. No mods, all stock. That's GPS speed. I picked up a pillow to sit on for the last 700 miles and it helped quite a bit.

You dug into your swingarm?!! Chain must been some loose to do that!:worthy:

I rode mine 597 miles in 13 hours but had sweet cheeks to help out on the seat. Otherwise no way.

Ride Report