General tips to keep 250F cool and well maintained

So I've been looking heavily into picking up a 250F again for next season. Since I like to maintain my bikes and look out for them I've been very interested in having the bike run as cool as possible and as reliable as possible.

If you could add to my post or ideas, that would be awesome.

1 - distilled water and Redline Water Wetter for coolant.

2 - CV4 hoses

3 - Pro Circuit water pump/oil filter cover

4 - CV4 tank wrap

5 - twin air filter

As far as breaking a bike in, I've heard generally breaking it in with regular oil then switching to synthetic is the way to go. I thought about running Maxima since PC/Factory Kawi/Makita Suzuki run them and they work well?

One final thing I have to ask, how do traditional oil filters hold up compared to the stainless steel washable/reusable ones?

i dont know why you wana use distilled water... any type of engine ice or coolant will work tons better... and its a 250f. they heat up instantly and they will always be hot running bikes

you're not gunna get a 250f to run cold, But as far as oil filters just run the paper one and change it when you change you're oil it's only like 7 bucks for a new one and for oil i run moto 4xt tech full synthetic and love it. But yeah break it in with semi

Its a four stroke, no matter what it will always be hotter than a mofo. The best you can possibly do it to make it cooler is add all those things on your list, plus engine ice and a fender with the back part of it with holes so it alows more air flow to the rads when you turn. Not that it will make a difference, but you pretty much got it covered on your list. Investing in better rads will only do you good until you eat s:censored:t and screw them up. If you want to go that route get super strong rad guards. Just my .2...

Running cool is not the secret to reliability. Preventative smart maintenance is. Valvetrain replacement is part of the deal..if you ride hard and often plan on it yearly. I will be doing it yearly on my new 450 to avoid problems.

IMO the washable filters will never be able to filter particles as small as the paper ones. Replace them every oil change and run the paper. Cheap assurance.

PC was running distilled water and water wetter a few years back....heard it was really good.

The only other thing I thought would be Engine Ice.

Oh and a 1.5 rad cap.

And I know I'm not going to get them to run cold, but the colder the better, and the better it runs, the less it's gonna do bad things on me.

Running CV4 radiator hoses, a high pressure radiator cap and a tank wrap will not make the engine run any cooler. The tank wrap just keeps heat off of the fuel in the fuel tank. Distilled water does make a pretty good coolant, but if the bike gets cold you will be buying new radiators and possibly a new engine. Since you live in the north I wouldn't recommend it, I would use something with some freeze resistance (like engine ice).

Running CV4 radiator hoses, a high pressure radiator cap and a tank wrap will not make the engine run any cooler. The tank wrap just keeps heat off of the fuel in the fuel tank. Distilled water does make a pretty good coolant, but if the bike gets cold you will be buying new radiators and possibly a new engine. Since you live in the north I wouldn't recommend it, I would use something with some freeze resistance (like engine ice).

exactly... thats why i would recomend engine ice.. unless you plan on draining the whole system every year or are storing it in a well heated place

about the oil filters.. stainless steel oil filters will ALWAYS pick up everything big enough to harm your engine, and may sometimes let little things go that wont do anything anyways, but because paper filters are not as constant and predictable, due to the nature of the material, so they may pick up some smaller things, but they may also let some bigger things go. Plus, you save money buy getting a reusable one.

I thought that by making the bike run with better flow, and higher boiling point and stuff would make it run better and more reliable?

Regardless anyone have any more ideas?

I dunno wether a SS/paper filter is right. I've heard arguments for both sides.

i was thinkin of getting one of those pro circuit coolers but i am sketchy on if it will work or not, afterall it is 239 bucks or so. this engine ice stuff sounds great from what ppl on here are saying, i may give that a try

I picked up fluidyne radiators...oversized.

exactly... thats why i would recomend engine ice.. unless you plan on draining the whole system every year or are storing it in a well heated place

I just mix in a small amount of antifreeze to lower the freezing point.

My understanding is that distilled water is the best at heat transfer. I see bikes with Engine Ice boiling over pretty regularly when it gets muddy and slow. Distilled water, water wetter, and about 10% antifreeze have worked well for me in both 2 and 4 strokes. It's also cheaper.