I'm having trouble getting motorcycle insurance!!

I can't get insurance for my dirt bikes because my children are under the age of 10 (Nationwide). Progressive will insure them, but if my son races the policy for his bike will be voided. They said all bikes can ONLY be ridden off-road, no racing. Does anyone who races have insurance and where?

what about just theft insurance? Its more likely going to get stolen while camping than at the races. Or from your own garage.

Ditto on theft insurance. What sort of insurance are you trying to get that they won't give you? Collision? Damage? Liability? Health?

I know you're not talk health specifically but I've always wondered about that. We don't race and know very little about it. I figured that getting collision/damage insurance on a race bike would be difficult or costly. But I've always wondered if racing bike would affect your health insurance. Health insurance for professional racers must be outrageous. It's not like you can say you never race, or only race a little, if you're a pro racer :worthy:

Actually theft insurance is what i'm trying to get because my house got robbed along with many things, they took one of my bikes.Now that they know what I have i'm afraid they might come back for the rest of them.I have beefed up the security around my house but i would like to have that extra insurance!

No insurance company that i have talked to sells just theft insurance.So far i have talked to Nationwide,Geico and Progressive.

You shouldn't have any issue with progressive if theft is what concerns you.

It's impossible to get your bike stolen when you're racing anyway. :worthy: j/k

Actually theft insurance is what i'm trying to get..... No insurance company that i have talked to sells just theft insurance.So far i have talked to Nationwide,Geico and Progressive.

Are you sure you're asking them about home owners property insurance and not about vehicle insurance? You need to be talking to the insurance company that you have your home owners insurance with.

I to have had the same problem and my boys are over 16.All I wanted was theft and they said I have to get liability too.Then they asked me who rides the bikes and I told them.It was to exspensive.Next time I'm gonna tell them the are all my bikes.No buddy is riding them when they are stolen except the theif.If the Boys were to have an accident with someone else They just wouldn't be insured.With that being said.My bikes are chained up with the biggest chain and lock I could buy short of a anchor chain from a oil tanker,wether in the garage or in camp at night.:worthy:

Some health insurance people have, will not cover off road accidents. Be sure you know what you are covered for.Somtimes if possible and your not dieing ,it's best to get out of your riding gear and tell the doc you wrecked your mountain bike.:worthy:

Are you sure you're asking them about home owners property insurance and not about vehicle insurance? You need to be talking to the insurance company that you have your home owners insurance with.

Most generally home owners insurance will not cover the theft of motor vehicles.

Most generally home owners insurance will not cover the theft of motor vehicles.

Isn't that what insurance riders (not rider's insurance) are for?

What about if burned in the garage in case of fire?

Sure they will. That's what insurance riders are for.

It must vary in different states.

NYS requires liability insurance to operate on property other than owners. BUT, I have yet to find a company to insure my son (7yo) and his 65. I can get insurance on the bike, but not if he is riding it. :worthy:

It must vary in different states.

Ah, yes. You're probably right.

I have State Farm insurance, I have a 'rider policy' (the term 'rider' refers too an add on policy, not 'motorcycle rider') on my homeowners policy. It is a $100,000 liability policy for trails only, it will not cover any sort of racing. They did offer a theft- fire 'rider policy' also, but it was too much for me to justify.

I think I pay about $150 per year for 2 bikes. My daughter was 10 when I took the policy out, but I don't remember them even asking. It covers anyone riding the bikes.

Progressive in TX has never ask me about racing on our dirt bikes.

I did have coverage on the bikes for a couple of weeks thru Nationwide,but an underwriter decided to audit my policy. Apparently he Googled my sons name and discovered he races.Also my agent didnt realize there was an age stipulation for those who rode the bikes( no one under 10yrs).

My Nationwide agent did find insurance for me.Some company named Formost Insurance. This police covers everything, liability, compensation, even uninsured motorist for a decent price, about $34. a month (4 bikes covered). I'm going to look further into the company tomorrow, along w/State Farm. Thanks for the comments.

My Nationwide agent did find insurance for me.Some company named Formost Insurance.

I had to leave Foremost when my son turned 15 and got his moto learners permit. Foremost wouldnt insure someone that young on the street, Progressive (which I hate) would so I went there.

Foremost has the same "must be 10 years old to insure rule too'' Pm me your

telephone Number and we can discuss what I did.