Sign in to follow this  

Another hitch carrier question

I have read and read but still have some questions. First I have an 05' Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7L and a class 4 hitch. Do you think a hitch carrier will be fine for hauling a CRF 450x? I know the hitch will be able to take it but what about the suspension? I read alot of people talking about the weight in the back making the suspension compress too much. I have a trailer but would like to get an AMC-400 just to make transporting to the trails a little easier. I would hate to ruin or prematurely wear out my suspension on the Jeep by using one of these carriers. Any thoughts?

I have read and read but still have some questions. First I have an 05' Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7L and a class 4 hitch. Do you think a hitch carrier will be fine for hauling a CRF 450x? I know the hitch will be able to take it but what about the suspension? I read alot of people talking about the weight in the back making the suspension compress too much. I have a trailer but would like to get an AMC-400 just to make transporting to the trails a little easier. I would hate to ruin or prematurely wear out my suspension on the Jeep by using one of these carriers. Any thoughts?

I toted my DRZ on the back of a Jeep Cherokee 2 door from time to time, and while it wasn't the greatest feeling, I never had any suspension problems because of it.

so it should be fine?

I wouldn't be concerned about if you drive sensibly, and don't leave the bike dangling back there all week long....that may fatigue the suspension after a while, but hauling to and fro to go riding on the weekend, no biggie.

thanks, I just needed a little assurance. The drive is only 1 hour away all smooth highways the whole way and about 20 feet of grass once i get there.

Consider air shocks. I haul my 450x on a chevy mini-van with air leveling and notice nothing bad. Been hauling that way for two years.

tried the carrier out for the first time tonight with the 450x on it. It is rock solid, the Jeep suspension handled it great, drove around for about an hour and it far exceeded my expectations. To be honest, I was more comfortable with this thing compared to hauling the bike on my trailer.

Anyone use the bike carrier with a spare tire mounted on the back tailgate????