Sign in to follow this  

MX for offroad training?

I've heard from a few places that a lot of the top woods riders train at mx tracks for various reasons - a few listed below.

- There's an MX track around nearly every corner, but not always trails.

- It's easier to focus on a specific skill at a track as opposed to the woods since the track repeats, you can dial in that skill much quicker.

- When you want to take a break, the truck (and cooler) is a short ride away.

- It's easier to gauge speed increases on a track vs. woods.

I'm sure there are a few more reasons I've heard that I'm forgetting. What doesn't map for me is that in the woods, the turns are usually (almost always) more tight and technical than a mx track.

I really want to hear others opinions on drilling/practicing at a track to help increase your speed in the woods.

Anyone?

I'm sure there are a few more reasons I've heard that I'm forgetting. What doesn't map for me is that in the woods, the turns are usually (almost always) more tight and technical than a mx track.

I'm sure the argument can go both ways, but I think the turns are actually more

technical on a track. Even if the turn is wide, there are usually several different

lines you can take. The inside line will be more technical and the outside line will

be a little easier but difficult in the sense that the fast guys will hold the throttle

wide open well before the apex of the turn.

Then again, in MX you really don't have rocks, roots, trees, and brush to deal with.

But yeah, I enjoy riding MX now and then. It is such an awesome workout. I

can really work on my sprints and endurance. Catching air and letting it hang

out is also a really fun aspect.

I'm sure the argument can go both ways, but I think the turns are actually more

technical on a track. Even if the turn is wide, there are usually several different

lines you can take. The inside line will be more technical and the outside line will

be a little easier but difficult in the sense that the fast guys will hold the throttle

wide open well before the apex of the turn.

Then again, in MX you really don't have rocks, roots, trees, and brush to deal with.

I noticed this past weekend on a local track that I had the tendancy to head straight for the apex, lean the bike and goose the throttle to get the rear to break traction and turn the bike. I tried railing the upper/outer edge - I had to work hard at getting my brain to let my hand hold the throttle open enough to stay in the line. Since I was really focusing on a couple of turns, I don't have any evidence as to which way was faster, but the first way felt more comfortable.

...jumps...that's a whole 'nother story...

I'm bringing a video camera next time so I can see what I'm doing right and wrong.

Cross train man!

Riding the track makes me better at the Hare's and the Scrambles improve my track efforts. I dont know shit but every Hare has some good MX jumps and the MX tracks I have played with have some technical sections.

The best of both worlds improves my riding, but then again I suck!

Cross train man!

Riding the track makes me better at the Hare's and the Scrambles improve my track efforts. I dont know shit but every Hare has some good MX jumps and the MX tracks I have played with have some technical sections.

The best of both worlds improves my riding, but then again I suck!

yep. +1^^^.

similar to snowboarding in that even serious freeriders will do laps throught the park and pipe to hone edge skills, speed for hits, landing in chop etc.

riding mx for trail skills does transfer and makes you a more well rounded rider.

I noticed this past weekend on a local track that I had the tendancy to head straight for the apex, lean the bike and goose the throttle to get the rear to break traction and turn the bike. I tried railing the upper/outer edge - I had to work hard at getting my brain to let my hand hold the throttle open enough to stay in the line. Since I was really focusing on a couple of turns, I don't have any evidence as to which way was faster, but the first way felt more comfortable.

I think you are referring to the term "squaring off" the corner?

I mostly ride trails, some woods but mostly desert. But sunday night at the track I was freakin on it. I hadn't been to a track in a while. But what has been said about training for woods on an mx track is true. On a track the turn may be 15 ft wide but your only taking one line. On any given turn you practice sliding the outside, picking a line through the soft middle, or the absolute need to look ahead while railing the rutted inside. I've really started to realize the importance of the track for practicing your cornering tecnique, as you can try the same thing over and over making changes to find what works. Its safer to do it at the track than on a trail IMO.

The trail will throw some much nastier much more unexpected stuff at you and lately i've realized the importance of learning the techniques in a more controlled, predictable environment that way when your on the trail theres less to think about when the unexpected is thrown at you. Plus, clearing 60ft+ jumps is unreal. There is a lot of phycological experience regarding commitment to be gained from that.

In my opinion i think it is a great thing to be a well rounded rider. I would race MX more often but i hate the long waits in between motos. You can learn a lot from the two different styles of riding.

A MX track is a great controlled environment to work on skills. Cornering, braking, accelerating, jumping, body position, ruts, whoops and rough ground. Not to mention conditioning.

It all transfers over to your offroad riding.

Try it, you will find it improves your offroad riding skills greatly :worthy:

I like to practice jumps for the cross country series I ride. About half the courses we ride in a year have MX sections or built up jumps over creeks and ponds. In my class of over 40 riders a thirty foot jump over a creek intimidates some of the riders so I get a place to make some space or gain on another ridr. Also the western half of the state has events with deep open whoop sections that I can only find similar terrain on mX track.

Once when doing a x-country race at Cooperland near Stilwater Oklahoma. I was on the last lap trying to catch guy just holding me off for fourth place. We dropped back onto the MX track in the run to the finish line. I was gaining on him every jump when I decided to just hang it out on two big tabletop jumps. Well to my suprise as I left the face of the first jump guy in front had decided instead of jumping he would roll the jump. I flew literally 20 feet over the top of the guy landed about fourty feett out in front of him and never looked back. Well as I pulled up to y truck the guy I had jumped pulled up. I was worried he would be pissed but he took his helmet off and said" man you flew right f***ing over me man that was awsome!"

I used to ride in the woods a lot, then got into mx a bunch. spent a summer going to mostly the track. Then i got bored of going in circles so i got back into woods riding. After riding a bunch of mx I would definatly stay i got faster riding in the woods. I think because riding the tracks I would naturally have to practice cornering and railing the straight aways I wouldnt necessarily hit as hard in the woods.

Overall Id say riding mx improved my skill level

I have a mx track here at home, it's kinda traily too. It's pretty tight for an mx track with the jumps(which I dont' jump). The corners aren't bermed, which makes them a little more difficult. It's either hard pack, or mud, which gets rutted, then turns hard. I have a circle part of it that dries out the earliest in spring I call the hamster wheel and I practice corners on it. Any work you put into practicing corners pays you back big time.

This summer I've been riding with my boys, and my goal is to NOT get passed/lapped by them. I was successful with my youngest son(15, KTM 200), he said he couldn't pass me cuz I was too mean(but really you just have to pass very aggressively because there's not a lot of straightaway room). We'll have fun this weekend riding with friends and the neighbor boys.

WHen I went to the track at Eddieville(mx and gp) last summer, that really helped a lot with speed. At first it was REALLY strange to have such a wide golf cart, no roots, no trees. It really helped me to ride on a STRAIGHT downhill with no blind turn at the bottom--I could just blast down the hill, ha actually be on the throttle in 4th(heh, something I had before been TERRIFIED of doing on a downhill :lol:) and feel the fun of going fast without the fear of having to make sudden turns and or dodge stuff to grab me, which REALLY helped on the trails later. So FEELING the speed WITHOUT DYING dulled some of the apprehension I have with going down hills fast(er).

One thing I tried to do was follow guys through the turns, keeping up with their speed--which I discovered a lot of people are really crappy at corners!!! Either slow or washing out. SO for sure, if you want to increase your race speed, work on corners, cuz not a lot of other people do! (well, at least the C's, B's) Going faster on the straight is easy, corners take more. Especially when it's bumpy.

Another thing for me was that it was really helpful having people blast by me, jumping next to me, getting used to that, loved it(I tried not to annoy anyone, I stuck to the right). Oh yeah and everyone going the SAME direction :worthy: was way cool!

But I love the trail best of all, something different every turn! More rocks too!