Intimadators or Emulators?

It is time for a upgrade. The bike is just to soft for me.

What are the pros and cons of the two?

The bike is a '08 DR 650 set up in supermoto trim. Bike is going to be ridden about 90% street/ 10% logging roads and such. I weigh about 215 with gear.

Thought I read somewhere no spring change needed with the Intimidators.

Emulators would probably need a spring change also.

The rear is getting a DRZ rear shock swap.

Not really interested in changing forks due to having to change front wheel and stuff.

Thanks, Mike

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Intiminators. The thing I don't like about them is the rebound. Stock oil weight is 10w. The Intiminators use 5w. It has too little rebound for my liking now. The emulators have some adjustment to them. I guess the Intiminators don't. Poor instructions with the Intiminators as well. All they talk about is installing in a Harley. When I am feeling rich I will try the emulators and decide which I like best.

I have the Intiminators. The thing I don't like about them is the rebound. Stock oil weight is 10w. The Intiminators use 5w. It has too little rebound for my liking now. The emulators have some adjustment to them. I guess the Intiminators don't. Poor instructions with the Intiminators as well. All they talk about is installing in a Harley. When I am feeling rich I will try the emulators and decide which I like best.

Too little rebound or too little rebound damping?

Mix up some 7.5w oil.

The oil weight mainly affects the rebound according to Ricor.

What preload are you running?

I have 15mm of preload. I have a quart of 5w Amsoil leftover from the original install. I guess I need to find some 10w Amsoil to mix with it. That will be a pain I imagine to find locally.

• 4 weeks later...

I pulled out my Race Tech Emulators today and put in the Ricor Intiminators. First thing I noticed was that the Intiminators have quite a bit more compression damping. However, I only had 1.5 turns of preload on the emulators.

I put 5 wt oil in with the Intiminators, as recommended. By comparison to the RT emulators with 10 wt oil, the Intiminators cause a faster rebound (less rebound damping). Might have to mix in some 10 wt.

The short test ride I made today with the Intiminators was encouraging. The fork action is smooth on big hits. :worthy:

I still have a lot more testing to do before I make a final decision. A few minutes into my trial run, I had what we call a "Near Miss". A nut came off and the linkage bolt (at the frame connection) worked itself out. Fortunately I was going slow when it happened. I hit a very steep cut in an ag field by the house. Still managed to keep it upright but it could have been bad :banana: Lucky for me that this didn't happen on the road or at a higher speed.

Unfortunately, the big linkage arm is toast.

ShockFailure2.jpg

ShockFailure.jpg

I also installed the Intiminators in my 09 BMW F650GS Twin. That was a huge improvement !!

Intiminators have been a big hit with the SV650 crowd ever since Ricor released them a few months ago. I jumped on the bandwagon right away and ordered a set for my '07 SV650S.

At first, I was really impressed. Like the DR, the SV has budget suspension components and is often the first thing to be upgraded. There is little in the way of adjustability.

Before the Intiminators, I was running 15W fork oil and found the front to be harsh over small bumps in the road, yet nice and firm when riding agressively and pushing it hard in the corners. However, I still had the soft factory springs (fine for a 150 lb rider, but too soft for my 200 lbs carcass).

When I installed the Intiminators, I changed to 5W oil as recommended. Suddenly, the small bumps seemed a whole lot better when riding around town. At the same time, the firmness when pushing it in the corners on the back roads was still there, and seemed even better. The front seemed better planted when riding hard.

However, my high opinion dropped a little after riding on them for a few weeks. I was less impressed the longer I rode on them. The harshness over little bumps seemed to be back, just like when I was running 15W fork oil.

Anyway, I'm kinda torn on them now. They seemed great at first, and less great a few weeks later. I got them at 50% off ($150 instead of $300 during the "introductory offer") so it wasn't a huge investment. Ultimately, I don't think they'll be as good set of quality cartridge-style upside down forks, whether on a dirt bike, sport bike, cruiser, or whatever you ride.

Swapping the entire front end is a popular mod for the SV folks as well (a GSXR front end bolts right up to the SV frame with surprisingly little effort). Not sure if there is an equivalent front end swap for the DR??

I have 15mm of preload. I have a quart of 5w Amsoil leftover from the original install. I guess I need to find some 10w Amsoil to mix with it. That will be a pain I imagine to find locally.

Try with 5mm preload with the heavier springs.

However, my high opinion dropped a little after riding on them for a few weeks. I was less impressed the longer I rode on them. The harshness over little bumps seemed to be back, just like when I was running 15W fork oil.

Try going back to stock with 15w and see what the comparison is.

Ultimately, I don't think they'll be as good set of quality cartridge-style upside down forks, whether on a dirt bike, sport bike, cruiser, or whatever you ride.

No but they're not anywhere near the cost either.

I rode my Intiminatored DR and a KTM640A back to back and I was surprised how close the front ends were.

In fact the DR was better on rocky downhills under brakes than the KTM.

The rear shock however was crap compared :worthy:

Swapping the entire front end is a popular mod for the SV folks as well (a GSXR front end bolts right up to the SV frame with surprisingly little effort). Not sure if there is an equivalent front end swap for the DR??

DRZ400 front end is about the closest.

Try going back to stock with 15w and see what the comparison is..

I would, but I traded the SV for the DR. I thought I was going to miss the SV but the DR is way too much fun.

No but they're not anywhere near the cost either.

True. Most GSXR front end swaps for the SV will run $500-$1,000 so Intiminators are cheap by comparison. It's just unfortunate the Intiminators don't offer any sort of adjustability. That's the real drawback IMO.

trailrider, get some Golden Spectro 7.5 wt cartridge suspension fluid. Very good stuff.

I shouldn't knock the Intiminators since I only rode on them for a month. There was definitely a noticeable improvement at first. But that improvement seemed to wear off after a while... but maybe it was just me. Since I got them for 1/2 price it wasn't a waste. But had I paid the full price I might have been more upset.

I have yet to install mine because I am raising the old girl back to full height when I put in the Intiminators. Thump, get them sorted before tossing in the towel! Your post is giving me second thoughts.

They work and the effect doesn't wear out. I've had mine in and out of my KLR to prove to myself it wasn't just the change to 5w. Where it really shined for me was dirt roads that were washboard or stutter bumped, HUGE difference. Took em out and hit the same stuff with just the 5 w and was chattering my fillings out like stock susp. On pavement the difference wasn't so noticeable unless it rough, which you find yourself aiming at, and smiling. If your slab only you might skip them.

IF you push the bike hard off road I'd still do it, but would go with heavier springs installed with very little preload (sized for your weight or one softer). If the 5w can't control the heavier spring rebound , drain 1/2 out and refill with 10w (for a 7.5), and maybe up to 10 if need be.

I shouldn't knock the Intiminators since I only rode on them for a month. There was definitely a noticeable improvement at first. But that improvement seemed to wear off after a while... but maybe it was just me. Since I got them for 1/2 price it wasn't a waste. But had I paid the full price I might have been more upset.

Anyone had a clunking sound with the Intiminators?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enspoCGUrHE

I replaced the Race Tech emulators with the Intiminators. I have .45 kg springs, 17 mm preload, 5 wt Amsoil set per factory manual 164 mm.

I took the forks off and worked them independently. I can feel a sudden break in the compression when I push down on them quickly. They are smooth when I push down the same distance slowly.

I replaced the Race Tech emulators with the Intiminators. I have .45 kg springs, 17 mm preload, 5 wt Amsoil set per factory manual 164 mm.

I took the forks off and worked them independently. I can feel a sudden break in the compression when I push down on them quickly. They are smooth when I push down the same distance slowly.

Yes, they are noisy. Get used to it. Some people claim they don't make noise. I think they just have poor hearing. ?

Pull them out and slightly trim the teflon ring.

It can bind and when the spring overcomes the stiction it clunks back onto the top of the damper rod.