Sign in to follow this  

82 xl 500 again

so ive done this top end 3-4 times now,,,,,,everytime i line it all up,,every thing is in place and tight,,,,,but it wont run for more than a few seconds,,,so i tear it down each time and at TDC the cam marks are straight up and down instead of level like they were when i put it together,,,,,,,

:worthy::lol: :lol: :lol::banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana::lol: :lol: :lol::p im about ready to use this bike as a bonfire,,,,but i really enjoy it and it rides awesome,,,some one please save my sanity and this bike

It should be straightforward. Head off..Piston at top of cylinder and the mark on the flywheel at the T..Put the head on and Cam in to it's correct orientation then put the Cam chain Sprocket onto the Cam chain without moving the bottom Flywheel from the T for TDC or the Cam from where it's supposed to be and it should be right. Take the Tappet cover off again and stick a chopstick down the Sparkplug hole so you know the Pistons at the top of the stroke and everythings in order..You must have something back the front somewhere..

The cam chain must be too loose and jumping teeth, are you sure you have the tensioner set up correctly. The only other possibility would be the cam chain crank gear turning on the crank but I think its splined which would make that impossible, of course if its pinned or keyed that would be the place to look.

The cam chain must be too loose and jumping teeth, are you sure you have the tensioner set up correctly. The only other possibility would be the cam chain crank gear turning on the crank but I think its splined which would make that impossible, of course if its pinned or keyed that would be the place to look.

YES I agree put in a cam chain.

It should be straightforward. Head off..Piston at top of cylinder and the mark on the flywheel at the T..Put the head on and Cam in to it's correct orientation then put the Cam chain Sprocket onto the Cam chain without moving the bottom Flywheel from the T for TDC or the Cam from where it's supposed to be and it should be right. Take the Tappet cover off again and stick a chopstick down the Sparkplug hole so you know the Pistons at the top of the stroke and everythings in order..You must have something back the front somewhere..

Horri, do you know how to retard the timing for a 1982 Honda XL 500R. I just had a top end rebuild done and engine knocks slightly going from 4th to 5th. I am using 91 octane and do not want to use octane boost if possible. Thank you.

Horri, do you know how to retard the timing for a 1982 Honda XL 500R. I just had a top end rebuild done and engine knocks slightly going from 4th to 5th. I am using 91 octane and do not want to use octane boost if possible. Thank you.

No I don't. I'm not that technically smart, just your average Joe Blow who knows a bit but not enough..Sounds like an odd condition. I can't really help to much as my 82 XL500 still has both head and base gasket blown so I don't really ride it that much even though it still runs fine. We have two types of gas down here,,Super which is 92 octane I believe and "Regular" which is 91 octane. Regulars for sort of older vehicles ,,Supers for like,,Well I dunno what it's for as everything I own runs on the plain old "Regular 91" octane stuff straight from the pump .Not sure what to say other than that..

From what I can gather from reading the posts here it sounds to me like the cam drive sprocket on the crank is slipping on it's splines. You need to pull the clutch cover to check it. It is blind splined so it goes on in one position. If this part has worn that far it would be the first I have ever heard of it. While you have that cover off check the chain guides and make sure they're in thier proper slots in the case. You can't adjust the timing on these it is fixed a one setting. I'm surprized you haven't bent a valve.

Hey just my 2 cents but check the heat range on your spark plug. I battled the pings for almost a year until this old timer gave me the same advice. tip of the plug should be dry and tannish. If you have little white spots that look like ash, you have the wrong plug. Luck to you.

I battled this dilemma too on a 82 XR250R .... turned out to be a bad CDI. Of course mine would not start at all, as soon as I replaced the CDI, it started right up. If teh cam chain is jumping enough to kill it (timing off) you most certinaly would of bent a valve by now, true they will run while off a tooth, but not for long. Several teeth though and your bending valves.

Hey this is good info on timing- I don't have a manual for my xl500r. I just got it and it seized on me. Now that I have the motor out I got the piston loose. Good thing though because I found a broke stud that holds the front balancer in place under the clutch cover.

I want to check the cylinder because it was smoking a lot before, and probably needs rings & valve seals.

Anyone privy to the valve adjustment height?