Sign in to follow this  

quick clutch basket question

bought a new hinson clutch, my manual really doesnt list clearly how it goes together and tried a search with no luck..

problem is with the kick start gear on the back of the basket, when installed one direction it fits flush with the basket itself, when reversed and installed the other direction there is about a 1/4" gap between the gear and the basket.. maybe is someone knows for sure which way it goes or has there clutch cover off could tell me.. kinda suck to find out after i lock tight the allen screws that hold the gear plate on..

another question is with the cushions, is there a certain direction installed? thanks :worthy:

I doesn't matter which way the coushions go in. It's been a while since I installed a hinson basket. I don't think there should be a 1/4 gap between the basket and the gear. I can't remember for sure. I'll be pulling one apart this weekend, but I'm sure you want to be riding by then.

I doesn't matter which way the coushions go in. It's been a while since I installed a hinson basket. I don't think there should be a 1/4 gap between the basket and the gear. I can't remember for sure. I'll be pulling one apart this weekend, but I'm sure you want to be riding by then.

thanks charlie for the response, i wrote it down when i took it apart but lost the paper :worthy:

im still waiting on the lock washer, hub bearing and collar to come in so it depends on when they come in.. if you can let me know what you find out it will be appreciated. thanks:thumbsup:

It should go on flush with the back of the basket.

• Like 1

thanks charlie for the response, i wrote it down when i took it apart but lost the paper :worthy:

im still waiting on the lock washer, hub bearing and collar to come in so it depends on when they come in.. if you can let me know what you find out it will be appreciated. thanks:thumbsup:

No problem. My kids 08 looks like we might have a premature crankshaft failure. 35 hours on it, and guess what I found in the filter. Friday night, I'll pull it apart and let you know for sure on the basket.

No problem. My kids 08 looks like we might have a premature crankshaft failure. 35 hours on it, and guess what I found in the filter. Friday night, I'll pull it apart and let you know for sure on the basket.

something that looks like fools gold? thats a bummer to hear.. least you got to it fast!

I spoke to the guy that did the crank for me. I'm sure he won't leave me high and dry with a bad crank. 116.4 hours and it's time for a new top end anyway. I really didn't feel like doing the bottom end also, but what the hell...

I spoke to the guy that did the crank for me. I'm sure he won't leave me high and dry with a bad crank. 116.4 hours and it's time for a new top end anyway. I really didn't feel like doing the bottom end also, but what the hell...

thats pretty damn good life out of a top end thats raced..

crank is pretty simple to get to, just kind of time consuming, and $$$.. 35 hrs tho on a crank.. thats wierd, are you seeing more problems as well with the 08-09 crank compared to previous years?

The sad part about the top end is the left valve only moved .002 in a 116 hours. Never touched the others. That's why I truly believe that the boot to the air box is the culprate to premature valve wear. I don't think they seal it well enough out of the factory. Hate to admit that the stock crank made it farther than the pro-x rod and bearing. Seeing thrust washer bling in the filter leads me to believe that it failed. He said the bike felt real sluggish and he said he knew it was going. I though it was an excuse as to why he finished in 6th place. My bad. Took 2nd on the 450 though!

I'll PM you when I pull it apart and let you know what really happened. I have a half a notion to pull the crank apart to see what gave up.

The sad part about the top end is the left valve only moved .002 in a 116 hours. Never touched the others. That's why I truly believe that the boot to the air box is the culprate to premature valve wear. I don't think they seal it well enough out of the factory. Hate to admit that the stock crank made it farther than the pro-x rod and bearing. Seeing thrust washer bling in the filter leads me to believe that it failed. He said the bike felt real sluggish and he said he knew it was going. I though it was an excuse as to why he finished in 6th place. My bad. Took 2nd on the 450 though!

I'll PM you when I pull it apart and let you know what really happened. I have a half a notion to pull the crank apart to see what gave up.

yea please do, im trying to gather facts on the premature wear on the cranks, certian brands quicker then others.. ect.. get some pics up as well if you can.. thanks! :worthy:

Hey Charlie,

Is this the crank that you sent out to Vince at Mr. Crankshaft to fix? I live like 30 mins from his shop and had my crank rebuilt there too. But I've only put about 7 or 8 hours on mine until i broke my leg. So I hope she holds out longer than 35 hours.

Jody

Yeh, Vince did it. I've had a bunch of them done by him and he's always done a great job for me! I've sent people to him with the same positive results. I know this really has nothing to do with him. I'm just glad it was mine and not some poor guy that I did one for cursing me that his crank went and it was my fault. I will have Vince do this one again. If it goes bad in 35 hours, I'll re-evaluate the pro-x stuff, but I really think this was a fluke. My mind hasn't changed about Vince. Great guy!

Yeah, Vince is a real nice guy. When i took the crank to him he explained everything he was doing and before i knew it I had been talking to him for 2 hours. haha Crank looked brand new after he was done with it.