Trading in the road bike for trail bike

Getting rid of my Triumph Tiger 955i. It's touted as a "dual sport" but at just over 500 lbs, it's not really fun in the dirt or sand. My viable options are a 400 or 450EXC, a TE450 or a CRF450X. I'd like light weight, E button, easy DIY maintenance, powerful and fast. Yeah, I want it all but who doesn't? I've had an XR75 and a RM125 about 25 years ago, so I'm familiar with off road riding. I'm 45, and an athletic 6'2, 230. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Well I have two Husky's an 08 CR 125 and an 09 TXC510 and love both of them. I have read many positive post on the TE450's. Maintenance is very easy on the Huskys. IMO they are rugged, reliable, and very easy to ride bikes. The TE 450 at 246 lbs is 1/2 the weight of your Tiger. The TE is street legal if thats what you are looking for, if not look at their TXC's. BTW there is a dealer in NJ who would most likely let you take on for a spin. He even has a track out back. Good luck in your quest.

You want a KTM-250 XC or XC-W with electric starting. At your size and ability I can see no other bike. Maybe the 300, but that maybe too fast (nothing personal) for someone just getting back into off-road riding. The same can be said for any 450 or bigger machine.

One thing, are you going to dual sport it?, or just ride the trails?

I would go with the 450exc because ktm makes amazing trail bikes and this one is street legal which is a plus. Or you could save some money and go with the crf450x which is also a really good bike, and you can always by a dual sport kit so you can ride on the road.

Getting rid of my Triumph Tiger 955i. It's touted as a "dual sport" but at just over 500 lbs, it's not really fun in the dirt or sand. My viable options are a 400 or 450EXC, a TE450 or a CRF450X. I'd like light weight, E button, easy DIY maintenance, powerful and fast. Yeah, I want it all but who doesn't? I've had an XR75 and a RM125 about 25 years ago, so I'm familiar with off road riding. I'm 45, and an athletic 6'2, 230. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

the big thing with modern bikes is, these are generally not achivable at once, compared with your last ride any dirt bike is going to feel light, but a KTM 450 EXC-R in street legal trim still comes in at 260+ pounds, in other words a very heavy dirtbike, also the easy DIY maintenance can be an issue for any modern 4 stroke for the less mechanicly inclined (which realisticly is most dirtbike riders), and these bikes are still not cut out as commutor bikes, a blast on the street once a month or so won't hrt them, but if your putting any kind of decent milage on them any moder 4 stroke is going to wear out quickly and reqiure almost weekly maintenance.

depending what type off off road riding you want to do, a DR-Z 400 might be a good choice, they are not the lightest bike there ever once was (coming in at 280ish pounds in street legal trim with all fluids, ready to ride) but they are reasonably capable off road, while still have long service intervals and good on road manners, not the best road bike ever, and not the best dirt bike either, but a good compromise, which is exactly what a duel sport is.