Sign in to follow this  

650r - High Flow side panel

Would I see much of a real world benefit from opening up my air filter panel? I'm thinking of getting a new set of black rear panels because the current ones aren't looking the best. I'm wondering if this is a worth while mod to do while I'm at it. I'd also be curious to know where the jetting changes the most when this is done.

specs:

uni filter

tm40

hotcam stage 1

fmf power bomb header/powercore4 exhaust

the easier the air can get in the better it will breath. with your mods i would do it,

Would I see much of a real world benefit from opening up my air filter panel? I'm thinking of getting a new set of black rear panels because the current ones aren't looking the best. I'm wondering if this is a worth while mod to do while I'm at it. I'd also be curious to know where the jetting changes the most when this is done.

specs:

uni filter

tm40

hotcam stage 1

fmf power bomb header/powercore4 exhaust

If your current panels are trash...you can always mod that one and Krylon Fusion it Black and then you have both options...new closed or old open.

there's also a highflow backfire screen or wutever the screen is behind the airfilter is called...my buddy has the highflow screen w/ bigger holes in it and seems to breath fine through the stock uncorked openings...this is on a basically stock uncorked R w/ a race exhaust.

:worthy:

there's also a highflow backfire screen or wutever the screen is behind the airfilter is called...my buddy has the highflow screen w/ bigger holes in it and seems to breath fine through the stock uncorked openings...this is on a basically stock uncorked R w/ a race exhaust.

My bike didn't come with a bike fire screen from the previous owner :lol:

I thought it did until I pulled out the filter to clean it one day.

Bike is street only though so I'm not sure if it's needed

what air filter you using then? UNI with the plate in it? I have the high flow back plate but my bike came with a TwinAir so its needed. From a before and after with the side panel mod i could tell when the filter was dirty where the airflow was coming thru. With stock uncut panel it was about half the airfilter towards the rear where the ports are stock, aftr side panel mod the whole filter would be dirty after a ride. That told me the path with stock uncut panel was kinda causing less flow, could i notice a difference after i cut the panel?? NO but i know the air flows in easier. My thoughts are it doesnt hurt so its kinda up to you if you dont mind the look of the cut panel, and with you mostly street im sure your filter stays pretty clean for a while, LOL im jealous!! HEHE i hate cleaning air filters, luckily this TA is nice n easy

I'll go ahead and try it

I'll take the advice and modify the current one since the ride panel seems worse off in condition and buy a new set so I can switch between them.

Do it.

It made a definite difference with my Edelbrock. With your TM40 you need the extra just as much if not more so than with the Edel. You have a cam too, something that can advantage of that extra breathing.

You might need to richen things up a tad when done.

i opted to just get a K&N filter instead of doing the side pannel mod.... i tired the foam filter with a cutout pannel off my friends xrr then with K&N without a cut out pannel seems about the same just an idea im throwing out there....

only bad part about the K+N is there the worst for offroad bikes, they are not a good "filter" but for street where not alot of dirt is not too bad.

Yea the K&N isnt the greatest for alot of dust, it lets alot of fine particles by i ran one for a few months and the air box was very dirty, although K&N says they work better the dirtier they get but idk sounds like a load of b/s if you ask me. If you do run the K&N make sure you REALLY REALLY glob grease around the outside of it to make it seal. One downside to the cut side panels (i found out the hard way) is it will suck water on deep crossings, so maybe a cut panel for easy street riding and a solid panel for the tough off road stuff would be the best of both worlds.

I already ordered the kit for the panel =]

Yea the K&N isnt the greatest for alot of dust, it lets alot of fine particles by i ran one for a few months and the air box was very dirty, although K&N says they work better the dirtier they get but idk sounds like a load of b/s if you ask me. If you do run the K&N make sure you REALLY REALLY glob grease around the outside of it to make it seal. One downside to the cut side panels (i found out the hard way) is it will suck water on deep crossings, so maybe a cut panel for easy street riding and a solid panel for the tough off road stuff would be the best of both worlds.

actually a lot of different types of filter media perform better (filter) w/ sum "loading" BUT the tradeoff is usally lower flow rates...

...and it raises the question of wut it's passing before it's "loaded" :lol:

One downside to the cut side panels (i found out the hard way) is it will suck water on deep crossings, so maybe a cut panel for easy street riding and a solid panel for the tough off road stuff would be the best of both worlds.

Just wrap some duct tape around something. Fork tube, tire iron, your pinkie, whatever. Then when you come up on a water crossing that deep break out the tape and cover the side vents. You'll be stopping to assess water that deep anyway so not really a big deal.

yes, and you should use grease on the edges of any air filter

and there is no dust when your up front:smirk: