Broken Off Chain Guid

Wow, what can I do now.

I was riding on the Big Bear Trail Riders Big Bear Run last weekend on the hard course. After going through one of many rock gardens, noticed that my chain guide had been ripped off right where it attached at the swing arm.

Do any of you smart guy's know any good tricks on how to get it fixed ?

Also, will a 450R or a 250R or X swing arm fit the same on a 2005 450X ?

just find somebody to weld it back on for you.

i have had it happen to 2 of my 450x's, and my friend had it happen to his. once welded (correctly) it should not happen again.

BTW, 2 of the 3 had TM guides on when it happened.

You got lucky the guide did not try and roll around the sprocket. Just happened to me - exploded rear hub, bent sprocket, ruined swingarm, broken case saver threads on case.... broken heart - lol. Ebay sells complete swingarms, some with the guides too, for cheap. That is what I did.

ebay or have it welded. Any compotent tig welder can take care of you.

Here is the problem.

I don't have the bent up parts. It's all out on the trail somewhere.

To weld on something new, it will all have to line up etc, etc.

So a 450R is diferent then ?

Here is the problem.

I don't have the bent up parts. It's all out on the trail somewhere.

To weld on something new, it will all have to line up etc, etc.

So a 450R is diferent then ?

Maybe sweep picked them up? Did you ask Miguel or Jim of BBTR if they picked it up? Sure would be easier if you had the tabs that broke off. If that's a bust then if it was me I'd make some new ones using the new guide as a template. Get some flat stock and cut them out/file them into shape. Might take some work but you could even beef up the mount some, all it has to do is line up with the two holes in the guide. Pick up a TM chain guide and make a plate to match.

Already checked with Jim and Miguel. No one has seen any BRP chain guide with some scrap aluminum attached to it.

I think I have found a shop here in Corona though, Pit King. The owner seems very knowledgeable and he also rides a CRF450 so you know he's good !

just take a look at someone else's 450x, and take a pic etc etc, and have a bracket made up. Weld it on, buy a new guide. And your done.. Its pretty standard to snap off!

When I get it fixed it will be braced up pretty good.

It's a pain in the butt not to just buy and bolt on a new one !

After going through one of many rock gardens, noticed that my chain guide had been ripped off right where it attached at the swing arm.

Do any of you smart guy's know any good tricks on how to get it fixed ?

Bullet Proof Designs has designed a Swing Arm Guard to prevent this issue. Not soon enough to help Barrie1 but here it is. link

IMG_3689sga.JPG

Nice job. I will get one of those and maybe I can weld it to the swing arm and give it more strength.

Nice job. I will get one of those and maybe I can weld it to the swing arm and give it more strength.

The guard bolts to the swingarm so no need to weld.

Yeah, don't weld the entire thing to the swingarm. They wear out.

Just beef up the existing gussets and you'll be good. I also like the recommendation from JCR to smooth out the forward leading radius to better deflect rocks... makes good sense and JCR would know about making the 450x more durable.