Truck Bed Coating as Frame Paint...

My frame is in need of some new paint and I've been tossing around just repainting the "wear" areas (sides above SA pivot) with truck bed liner. So I decided to test the paint on my caliper guard and master cylinder guard. Here are the results.

I used Duplicolor brand rattle can truck liner.

Caliper%20Guard%202.JPGCaliper%20Guard%203.JPG

Master_Guard%203.JPGMaster_Guard%202.JPG

I'm pretty happy with it! I'll see out it does in my first few crashes. Now, I just have to figure out how to mask of the frame with the stuff. I'm thinking I might as well do a motor-out frame clean up and repaint, then do the truck liner over the fresh frame paint.

I used the stuff on a XR250 that I cleaned up to sell on the frame where the boots rub. Well I took the bike out for a 40 mile shake down ride and when it was over I had wore through the stuff with my boot. It looks nice once coated but won't last.

I used the stuff on a XR250 that I cleaned up to sell on the frame where the boots rub. Well I took the bike out for a 40 mile shake down ride and when it was over I had wore through the stuff with my boot. It looks nice once coated but won't last.

I don't think there's any paint that will stand up to constant boot rubbing without wearing off after 10-20 hours of riding. I've tried a few different ones on my frame in those spots and they are completely destroyed mostly after 1 or 2 rides.

I think frame guards are the only option for keeping paint on the frame in those spots.

I like that too.

How thick did you put it on?

Does it have a rubbery feel, easy to scratch with a fingernail?

My kickstand is one part I constantly have problems keeping paint on.

I put on 3 coats. Once it dried overnight it was hard in the fingernail test but I didn't try to scratch it off. I did flex and bend the cardboard I had used as an over spray shield and the paint didn't crack even after bending it backwards on itself.

I see you tested this on aluminum parts rather than steel. From my experience, painting aluminum is different and trickier than painting steel and requires a different type of primer... but that's with paint. I've never used Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating before. Do you need to do anything to the surface prior to spraying it? Does it need to be primed, or sanded?

I see you tested this on aluminum parts rather than steel. From my experience, painting aluminum is different and trickier than painting steel and requires a different type of primer... but that's with paint. I've never used Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating before. Do you need to do anything to the surface prior to spraying it? Does it need to be primed, or sanded?

You make a good point as the frame is steel... hmmmm

I just followed the instructions on the can:

Prep by washing all dirt and oil from surface then rough up the surface with steel wool. Spray only between 68-98 degrees F.

So does it rub off? and is it resistant to heat in the case i want to do this for my Exhaust guard. Can it be applied on plastic parts such as the Chain guard?

Time will tell if it rubs off the parts I've done so far. It is not labeled as heat resistant. I got some 1200 degree BBQ paint for the exhaust guard.

Not sure about the plastic, I'll check the can.

I put that stuff on my wife ATV racks and floor boards. Let it cure for a few days and it's been on there for a year. So far it has only come off the tips of the foot pegs and a spot where I didn't get all the rust off. It has to cure for a few days I think for best results.

• 2 weeks later...

I sanded down the areas of my frame where my boot would rub and sprayed this stuff on there as well. I put about 10 coats or so according to the method that the back of the can suggests. I have about 120 hours of pretty harsh trail riding (extremely rocky terrain) and mine has stayed just fine. Looks pretty darn good. I did, however, have it flake on the aluminum frame guard. All of the steal parts have worked extremely well. I figure even if I get a season out of it before it flakes, I could touch it up every season for little or nothing. I still have some left of the original can, which was only about $10. Personally, I think it is a pretty decent resource if you are using it on steel. I will see about trying to post some pics of mine after the 120 hours. I deleted the befores. Sorry.

Well here are the short term results. After 3 days of curing the caliper guard looks the same but the brake cover started to flake after a 60 mile trail ride yesterday.

liberty%20June%202009%2031.JPG

Never mind your brake guard, what happened to your brake lever?

Hope you didn't spray that, or I'd say its not to be used on STEEL!!!

I sanded down the areas of my frame where my boot would rub and sprayed this stuff on there as well. I put about 10 coats or so according to the method that the back of the can suggests. I have about 120 hours of pretty harsh trail riding (extremely rocky terrain) and mine has stayed just fine. Looks pretty darn good. I did, however, have it flake on the aluminum frame guard. All of the steal parts have worked extremely well. I figure even if I get a season out of it before it flakes, I could touch it up every season for little or nothing. I still have some left of the original can, which was only about $10. Personally, I think it is a pretty decent resource if you are using it on steel. I will see about trying to post some pics of mine after the 120 hours. I deleted the befores. Sorry.

Cool! Good to hear that it may work just fine on steel. I'll try it when I get a chance. Winter?

Never mind your brake guard, what happened to your brake lever?

Hope you didn't spray that, or I'd say its not to be used on STEEL!!!

nice brake lever!

Yup, more info here: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8305847#post8305847