Goodbye KTM 2-Smoke, Hello Smokin' Yamaha

As some of you might have heard, I sold my plated KTM 250 EX/C 2-Smoke last week. It was a great bike, a 2001, and I think I had it for a little over 3 1/2 years or so. I really liked that bike, it ran great, went wherever I pointed it (even though I pointed it the wrong way sometimes), and it was a real kick to have a legal plate on a 2-Stroke here in CA. The thing was I was due for a change of pace.

Well it has already been replaced ......... with a Smokin' 2006 YZ250. This bike seems to be in great shape, came with a bunch of extras, and is definitely gonna take a little getting used to. I rode it around the house a bit when I got it home, and it really wants to get up and go. It hits sooner than the KTM, and the close ratio tranny is a little different for me.

Here are a couple of "Version 1" photos, with the showroom plastic, and setup to look a bit more MX. I'll post some "Version 2" photos after I put on the big tank, plastic that has seen some trail time, skidplate, pipe guard, etc.

2006 YZ250 "Version 1" with showroom plastic, stock tank, etc

yz25001.jpg

yz25002.jpg

Sweet Yami:thumbsup:

You will miss that plate though huh?

Sweet lookin YZ! Yamaha 2 Stroke forum is full of good info on those bikes. Lots of guys in there really into mods and tweaking.

You sold a plated two stroke. Are you :worthy: insane? I could never do such a thing. Then again I've never sold a bike. I ride 'em into the ground.

Is the new bike all that much better? I thought that most development on the two strokes came to an end about 5 years ago.

Congrats on the new ride :worthy: Love the shark fin and it looks like it came ready for a stabilizer. Picked a good year too; not much changed from 06 to 09.

You may want to do something with that kick stand though, might be a little tough to use out on the trails. :lol:

I have a wr gearbox, trust me you will be happy.

Brap!!!!

Yes, I'm from the NW but I have your bike too. You will like it. :worthy:

I have a wr gearbox, trust me you will be happy.

I agree. Look into swapping out your gear box for a WR 426 set of gears. Excellent mod. Nice looking bike what did she set you back? Once you get used to the YZ your going to be real happy with it.

I rode it around the house a bit when I got it home, and it really wants to get up and go. It hits sooner than the KTM, and the close ratio tranny is a little different for me.\\

]

Congrats on the new scooter. You are going to love it. The whole 60mph top speed kind of sucks but it will do exactly what you want it to do on the trails.

Desert tank, 18"rim and trials tire.

sweet bike dude!

You sold a plated two stroke. Are you :worthy: insane? I could never do such a thing. Then again I've never sold a bike. I ride 'em into the ground.

Is the new bike all that much better? I thought that most development on the two strokes came to an end about 5 years ago.

Diddo thats exactly what crossed my mind when I saw the thread.Although the the YZ is a great 2smoker to rid yourself of a plated legal 2stroke does'nt make sense,personally I would of kept it around the stable.The yz is a damn good bike,I really liked it,although the one I tested was a 07.Oh well someone scored.I used to have a 00 300 exc and am still kicking myself that I sold it and it did'nt even have plates!Thats like gold to me in california.

Well, after having the plated smoker for almost 4 years I rarely had it on the street, just those occasions where the plate kept me legal when connecting trails. It wasn't the bike for real dual sport rides, I never bothered to put all the legal lighting and stuff on it, and the range wasn't what I would want if I was using it to "explore" alternate trail opportunities. The big plan is to get a "real" dual sport bike (KTM, Husky, or Beta 450) when things are a little brighter financially for me. :lol:

The YZ came with an 18" rear, 3.9 gallon Clarke tank, FMF Q sparky, multiple flywheel weights, suspension revalved for off-road and sprung for my weight, carbon fiber pipe guard and skidplate, full set + of extra plastic, and many other misc add-ons. Let's just say I got it for under $3000, so as far as I'm concerned I got a very good deal. :lol:

I'll post some more pics when I get the tank and plastic changed out and it's ready to hit the trails. :worthy:

hard to beat a two stroke woods bike, Steroidally MTB.. Nice. The yz is the best, other than the 300 with estart. Waiting till those are about 4-5 yrs old then my wife will see the need for having one.

The whole 60mph top speed kind of sucks but it will do exactly what you want it to do on the trails.

Kinda hard to go 60 in the woods IMO. :worthy:

If you need more speed then the WR4XX gearbox swap is your friend. Yes, it has the power to pull it.:lol:

Good for you Curt! Welcome to team blue!

Actually it's welcome BACK to team blue. I think I had the original blue Yamaha dirt bike, a 1976 IT400C, the only brand new bike I ever owned. That was the first year they made the IT, and back then all the other Yamahas were either yellow (YZ) or silver/white (TT). :worthy:

Nice bike! I love my YZ. I wish I coulda stripped all of the new parts off of the bike I delivered to CelticDude though:cry: WR transmission would be nice for the desert I think.

Congrats Oldedude:thumbsup:

Maybe some of the speed and technique from the previous owner will rub of onto you and make you just a little bit faster!:worthy: Or maybe the bike will automatically show you some of those SS Trails:banana:

Kraig

Seeing how good of a shape the bike is in, plus all the extras for under $3k, I'd say it was a steal. If I had seen a deal like that six months ago, I would have jumped all over it, but now I've got other financial goals and buying a bike is not even on my list. Congrats on the acquisition.