Sign in to follow this  

Two-stroke revival

I think they will come back eventually

:worthy:

Eventually? Check out the MANY threads here in TT about people who have gone back to 2t's (like myself) and couldn't be happier.

I think Honda screwed up by abandoning the 2t. Now they have let KTM swallow the 2t market...and the YZ250 is still a great bike, too.

The article states that every brand is harbouring two stroke thoughts, except honda. Is this because Sochiro Honda did not like two strokes, or is it the almighty dollar talking? Remember, Sochiro didn't want his name on a two stroke motorcycle, so the first CR250 was dubbed Elsinore rather than Honda.

Today @ my track , there was only 1x 4t!!! Over 8x 2t bikes on the track!!

If I counted correctly 2 KTM 2t 125's (new ones) , my YZ , a 2008 RM 250 , brand new 2009 YZ 250 , YZ 85 , RM 125 and couple others. This was a weekday practice and mainly the racers come through and I only saw one RMZ 250. On a weekend there might be even more 2t's!! If you asked me, I wouldn't have realized there was a 4t "revolution" going on had I not known any better.

Remember, Sochiro didn't want his name on a two stroke motorcycle, so the first CR250 was dubbed Elsinore rather than Honda.

Really? That's a great story, if true. But I don't remember the bikes being called an Elsinore instead of Honda...I always remember saying Honda Elsinore together. I was young though and could be wrong.

Today @ my track , there was only 1x 4t!!! Over 8x 2t bikes on the track!!

If you asked me, I wouldn't have realized there was a 4t "revolution" going on had I not known any better.

It already happened and is definitely waning. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 4t. But the upsides of the 4ts just aren't enough to compensate for the downsides (maintenence, maint costs, weight, etc) for many. There will always be fans of both but it is truly amazing how many riders jumped on the 4t bandwagon in the late 90's/early 00's and have recently gone "back"...

As lifelong Honda guy (5 out of my 9 bikes), I am shocked by their seemingly anti 2t stance. Could this be the stubborn position that ultimately knocks them off of the dirtbike podium? I think the answer could come in 4-5 years.

The article states that every brand is harbouring two stroke thoughts, except honda. Is this because Sochiro Honda did not like two strokes, or is it the almighty dollar talking? Remember, Sochiro didn't want his name on a two stroke motorcycle, so the first CR250 was dubbed Elsinore rather than Honda.
Really? That's a great story, if true. But I don't remember the bikes being called an Elsinore instead of Honda...I always remember saying Honda Elsinore together. I was young though and could be wrong..

Let me start by saying that I'm only 15 and what I said above is only what I've been told; I might have misunderstood. I just asked my dad, who's 50, and he said that the Elsinores did have the wing emblem, but did not say honda on them. As to Sochiro Honda's partiality to two strokes, I read that he didn't like them here on TT.:worthy: Who knows whether that's correct or not? My dad has never heard that said. I should probably establish that this tale is true before I go retelling it. I do know that they pushed hard to bump the 4t disp. in the 250 class from 400cc to 450cc or 500cc.

As lifelong Honda guy (5 out of my 9 bikes), I am shocked by their seemingly anti 2t stance. Could this be the stubborn position that ultimately knocks them off of the dirtbike podium? I think the answer could come in 4-5 years.

that sounds really cool...

wonder if it'll make its way into cars too.... hasn't been a 2 stroke car in 30 years or so right?