Sputtering

Cleaned the carb in my wifes 99 TTR-225 and now it idles fine but when you hit the gas its sputtering. would turning the fuel screw richer (counter clock right?) help this problem or do i have some kind of jetting problem?

Does anyone know the stock amount of turns out for the fuel screw on this bike, i dont have the manual for it.

any help would be appreciated

Have you let it warm up fully? My wife has a 2000 225 and it is very cold blooded for several minutes (5-10) and will sputter when you get on the gas until it's warmed up. Pull the choke out a little and see if it runs better then ride it around for a minute or two and then push in the choke and see if it is warmed up and running any better. Repeat if necessary.

yeah we are used to it being like that. This seems different though, its not stalling when hitting the gas when cold like what your talking about. Its sputtering at half/full throttle. I rode it up and down the road a few times, enough for it to usually warm up and be ok, and its still doing this.

Try using the choke a little when it is sputtering and if it clears up or gets better then it has a lean issue and needs to be richened up some where.

It's not too common but you could have water in your gas. Water settles to the bottom of your bowl and gets sucked into the carb under 1/2 throttle or more causing a similar sputter that you described.

I recently had a situation where I got water in my portable gas tank in Moab and kept introducing water back into our bikes even though I'd clean the carb, adjust FS, etc.

Try and pull your carb bowl off w/o spilling the gas. If you can, you'll clearly see the water separating in the bottom of the bowl.

If you do have water, you'll need to drain the bowl (obviously) and drain your tank completely (bone dry-upside down).

It's not too common but you could have water in your gas. Water settles to the bottom of your bowl and gets sucked into the carb under 1/2 throttle or more causing a similar sputter that you described.

I recently had a situation where I got water in my portable gas tank in Moab and kept introducing water back into our bikes even though I'd clean the carb, adjust FS, etc.

Try and pull your carb bowl off w/o spilling the gas. If you can, you'll clearly see the water separating in the bottom of the bowl.

If you do have water, you'll need to drain the bowl (obviously) and drain your tank completely (bone dry-upside down).

thanks for the reply but since i just cleaned the carb (including bowl) and put fresh gas in, i dont think it would have time to seperate.

thanks for the reply but since i just cleaned the carb (including bowl) and put fresh gas in, i dont think it would have time to seperate.

You're probably right but just so you know, if water is in your tank, it can continuously "contaminate" your gas because it hangs in the bottom creavices of your tank...it does have a lot to do with your tank design and petcock location. I cleaned/emptied my bowl several times but it wasn't until I dried out my tank completely that I fixed my problem.

Anyway, it's a long shot (first time its ever happened to me). Good luck.:worthy: