XR650L wanting to start but not starting

Got a question about my XR650L. It has been a mother fu%#er to start. It is not the CDI because it is new. I also know that it shouldnt be the pulse generator, because I was eating through CDI's (3 of them to be exact) and I just replaced the pulse generator and it fixed my electrical issues. Theres nothing in the carb, fuel filter, fuel lines, or gas tank, because i thoroughly went through and cleaned all of them last night and still had no luck trying to get it going.

I thought it might be vapor lock, but since I went through the whole fuel system last night, and it still didnt start, then I have no clue. I am getting ready to head to my dads in a minute and see if I am getting spark or not, and it might just be a fouled plug, but I have a feeling its something more than that. I am leaning towards the coil being bad for some odd reason.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for reading! :worthy:

How old is the gas? If it isn't fresh, try new gas.

Got a question about my XR650L. It has been a mother fu%#er to start. It is not the CDI because it is new. I also know that it shouldnt be the pulse generator, because I was eating through CDI's (3 of them to be exact) and I just replaced the pulse generator and it fixed my electrical issues. Theres nothing in the carb, fuel filter, fuel lines, or gas tank, because i thoroughly went through and cleaned all of them last night and still had no luck trying to get it going.

I thought it might be vapor lock, but since I went through the whole fuel system last night, and it still didnt start, then I have no clue. I am getting ready to head to my dads in a minute and see if I am getting spark or not, and it might just be a fouled plug, but I have a feeling its something more than that. I am leaning towards the coil being bad for some odd reason.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for reading! :worthy:

see if you have spark, buy a new plug, there cheap. i had a bike that wouldn't start, (spark looked weak) went to a bike junk yard to buy a coil. they also worked on motorcycles. the mechanic, who i knew said "in 20 years i've never seen a bike coil go bad" he was right, it was my intake valves tuliping up into the head.

1. check for spark, if you got spark 2. remove air filter, spray starting fluid in, if she fires, you know it's a fuel problem. 3. check valve clearances, if one valve is not fully closing, it won't start. good luck

What about checking or adjusting valves, also check where your idle is, if its low in can be a pita to start, could try upping idle screw too.

I see you have a pretty highly modded engine too but anything changed maybe????? or this a new problem or one thats just kinda got worse over time

I messed with it again tonight at my dad's place. I checked and readjusted the valves to spec and pulled the sparkplug. It had no spark, so i took the plug wire and cap apart to make sure it was making contact. I screwed that sumbitch on there tight as i could on the rebuild and voila i had spark. I put it all back together, and it fired right up.

HOWEVER, i let it run for a few minutes and killed it, started it, killed it, started it...you know, just to make sure it was gonna keep working and all. Finally, i felt like it was ready for a test ride down around the lake. I put some jeans on and got the bike pointed outside with my helmet on my head. I started the bike, and then it died about 5 seconds later...

I finally said **** it for the night. I think it is the coil because after i messed with the plug wire, it had spark and actually ran. I think the coil is going out and needs to be replaced. what do you guys think? Thanks for the input!

did you forget to turn the fuel on maybe?? I hope LOL

did you forget to turn the fuel on maybe?? I hope LOL

nah, its on and you can see that the fuel filter is full, so thats not the issue :worthy:

Did you check the resistor in the plug cap. May have a high resistive joint from corrosion or dirt build up.

Did you check the resistor in the plug cap. May have a high resistive joint from corrosion or dirt build up.

BINGO! :worthy:

also if that resistor has been removed/bypassed/etc... it can and will cause a failure of the CDI...i wud look closely at everything from the plug back :lol:

...going through so many CDI's is not normal.

sum gud info here>>> http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/plugwiretech.html

:lol:

BINGO! :worthy:

also if that resistor has been removed/bypassed/etc... it can and will cause a failure of the CDI...i wud look closely at everything from the plug back :banana:

...going through so many CDI's is not normal.

sum gud info here>>> http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/plugwiretech.html

:banana:

I took the spark plug cap apart and cleaned everything. it wasnt at all dirty, but i blew it all off and put it all back together, and still nothing. a guy on advrider is sending me a spare coil from his old xr650l that he has. he told me that it sounds like my plug wire is broken inside the sheath and that it is barely making contact, and therefore is firing sparatically. we'll see if that helps when i get it and install it.

Clean the kill switch.

Clean the kill switch.

You should have that as part of your signature Captain. :worthy::banana:

did that too, but didnt happen. im still gonna wait for the coil to arrive to try it out again.

Don't know if this will help, but I had a similar problem and kept :worthy: . I finally figured out that my vent line on the gas cap was blocked. I had put on a short vent tube with cap but it was creating a vacuum. Like when you hold you finger over one end of a straw and pick up liquid from a cup. anyway i took it off and it allowed the fuel to flow and has ran fine ever since. While troubleshooting it started and stopped many times cause i kept taking the gas tank on and off and each time i put it back on and turned on the fuel, it would fill the bowl and allow it to run for a minute or two, then quit again. so check for some blockage in that vent.

Hatch