powdercoat rims and hubs

well im gonna get rid of the ribs on my hubs for my kx250f so that its just a smooth hub like the stock ktm hubs or the aftermarket hubs, and it'll save some weight. most likely only like 8 ounces per wheel hah but no biggie. so i want to get the rims and hub powdercoated after i smooth the hubs out but have no idea how much it might cost me, any ideas?

well if they are there for a reason than why would the rims be taken out in 07? and they came off the line with ribless hubs

hmmmmmmm

Different alloy composition on the new hubs?

Different casting or manufacturing process on the newer hubs?

More reinforcement in the spoke area than prior hubs?

Different design that no longer requires the reenforcement ribs?

*Testing by Kawasaki prior to "07" hub showed the ribs were neccessary?

* Denotes Kawasaki probably knew what they were doing.

I just had my hubs and rims done for $20. The guy was doing some wheels off a drag car and threw mine in with them. First ones i've done so I can't comment on the durability. All I know is if it dosen't work all I have in the project is $40 and thats a little cheaper than Excels. I did call alot of places and was getting prices fro $60 to $250. Just make sure to get them sandblasted first and they don't cook them over 400 degrees. That was for gloss black on both. I wanted the hubs candy red and he told me that was a 3 step process and would cost up to $200 just to buy the powder and coat them so black all the way. Stay away from red because they will fade and turn a fusia color. Good luck I have no regrets doing it.

i was thinking about doing them myself and baking them in the oven, i wasnt sure what degree i should cook them at. so guess anything under 400 is fine, what time should they go in for?

I don't know how long they cooked them. Some of the do it yourself kits should have all the info. My wife would kill me if she came home and saw hubs in her oven. I did relace them on the dining room table though. By the way if you haven't laced them before hit wheel lacing in the search and use that guys method. Iv'e never done it before and his method worked perfect. The rear rim was so close that all I had to do was tighten the spokes. Actually it was a fun project to do because it was so rewarding . I will post pics but I have my wheels at the shop getting the tires put on. My friends shop has a tire machine and is less likely to scratch them. Can't wait!! Gonna do my sons kx 100 next.:worthy:

Powder coated rims will look like crap after just a few rides, due to the flexing and little rocks impacting it. Powder coated hubs look good though and they stay looking good.

i disagree about the rims, i prefer powder over anodized wheels anyday

its tough because excel powder coats their rims and they hold up fine, and pro wheel anodizes theirs and they also hold up fine. anodize will rub off before powdercoat though. im just gonna shine up my rims real clean and powdercoat my hubs most likely

Here are my wheels on my KX250F, they are ProWheels with powder coated hubs. Like others have said don't do the wheels, they will look like crap in no time but the hubs hold up well. Hubs shouldn't cost you no more than $30 a piece to do.

IMG_1608.jpg