XR400 and Edelbrock

Im looking for some advice regarding Carbs for my 2005 XR400R

As allways it floods like hell when it gets dropped and occasionally its a pain to start.I recall reading a couple of posts over a year ago that the way to go is and Edelbrock pumper. Buying one in the UK is stup[id as they retail here for about $800 !!!! no thats not a mistake !!!

But i can get one shipped by a friend in Minnesota

Bike is in standard tune with standard exhaust I am possibly looking to fit after market pipe and a 440 big bore kit and stage 1 cam.

which carb should i buy that will be ok for a standard bike but will still allow me to make the modifications mentioned ???

PS

you guys are so lucky with your prices over there we get robbed all the time here in the UK:banghead:

My opinion, if you do the 440 kit you'll definately want a pumper carb, as the stock carb isn't up to the increased displacement.

I run the Mikuni TM 36-50 from XRs Only, but I've read the Edelbrock is a fine carb on the XR too. Both work fine with a stock bore bike also.

I would say, save your money on an exhaust and just do the Gordon mod to the stock exhaust. At least at first. The stock can is a good can, just needs a little modding and it will work very well with the 440, and still quieter than an aftermarket too.

I'd also skip the cam at first, as you can drop that in later yourself after the 440 kit has been done, if you feel you need to, but see what you think of the 440 by itself first.

The 440 is going to make more heat, so be prepared to address that. I have a thread or 2 on the subject around here somewhere. Do a search.

Thanks

whats the gordon mod ?

Look at the STICKY post at the top of this forum.

Edelbrock came today spent a couple of hours fitting it and as hoped it started 3rd kick

it would never do that with the Mikuni

it has been stood for 3 weeks unused the mikuni would have take 10 to 15 kicks.

just been out for a ride and Im impressed.

one small problem is that alltough the throttle snaps shut quickly the idle speed takes a while to drop

I think it may be a little rich

does anyone have a suggestion for me to try ?

Edelbrock came today spent a couple of hours fitting it and as hoped it started 3rd kick

it would never do that with the Mikuni

it has been stood for 3 weeks unused the mikuni would have take 10 to 15 kicks.

just been out for a ride and Im impressed.

one small problem is that alltough the throttle snaps shut quickly the idle speed takes a while to drop

I think it may be a little rich

does anyone have a suggestion for me to try ?

hanging idle you got going on, thats a lean pilot circuit issue

where can i find a edelbrock carb? are they cheaper the mikuni?

I got mine from an ebay user called ATVgalaxy it was the cheapest i could find with free US postage it did however take them about 10 days to post to my friend in MN

I then got a him to ship it to me in the UK

I got mine from an ebay user called ATVgalaxy it was the cheapest i could find with free US postage it did however take them about 10 days to post to my friend in MN

I then got a him to ship it to me in the UK

if you dont mind me asking, how much did you spend?

hanging idle you got going on, thats a lean pilot circuit issue

thanks going to have a look maybe tomorrow reading some other posts though some claim it is because of a rich mixture ????

it was $379 inc post to MN

the cost me another $40 to get it shipped USPS to me in the UK

Bargain as far as Im concerned they are $700 in the UK

it was $379 inc post to MN

the cost me another $40 to get it shipped USPS to me in the UK

Bargain as far as Im concerned they are $700 in the UK

thats cheap!! def. my next purchase.

just checked UK price and XRSTUFF want £445 sterling which at current rate is $755 !!!!

boy do we get ripped off !!!

You could get the Mikuni from XR's only for the same price. I'm currently trying to decide what to get myself.

2005????? Xr400.

thats right 2005

they hung around longer in europe than they did in the US

Ive been out and had another play with it and its still hanging

there are no air leakes

ive richened the mixture

the throttle snaps shut OK

when it hangs it will drop if i lower the idle with the idle screw

but then it stalls and wont idle at all

if i adjust the idle screw to a low tickover its fine till i blip the throttle then it hangs again

Im getting a headache can anyone help ?

Ive been out and had another play with it and its still hanging

there are no air leakes

ive richened the mixture

the throttle snaps shut OK

when it hangs it will drop if i lower the idle with the idle screw

but then it stalls and wont idle at all

if i adjust the idle screw to a low tickover its fine till i blip the throttle then it hangs again

Im getting a headache can anyone help ?

I remeber i got a hanging idle on my mikuni once, and i couldnt figure it out. Then one day i realized that i could stop the hanging idle when i physically use my fingers add more pressure to shut the slide. I didnt feel that there was any play but when i put pressure the idle went back down instantly. so i cleaned everything and lubed it and added 1-2mm more slack to the line and its gone now. So it was the slide getting stuck a little.

mrshells......there a few things that can contribute to the Edelbrock hanging idle. Sometimes the AP linkage binds and causes high idle speed, try disconnecting the linkage and see if this cures the problem. Check the throttle cable routing making sure there is no binding. Someone posted a while back that the set screw that holds the throttle wheel to the shaft was loose and causing erratic idle. Just some ideas.

I removed the return cable from mine due to this problem!

Fitted a return spring in its place. No more hanging idle !

The return spring is only small and sits in the same locating hole as the return cable and then hooks into the top of the cable clamp. Sorry about the fuzzy pic!

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp161/XR400Tractor/Photo0076.jpg[/img]"]Photo0076.jpg