Towing with my 92 4Runner. HELP!!

I have a 92 4Runner and 4 years ago I had Truck Outfitters set it up for towing with a 7 way outlet, but with only the simple 4 wires installed. It's worked fine up until a week ago when my signals no longer worked. My neighbor and I did some inspecting (he's an electrician) and we found the converted box that they installed was pooched. The converter is one of those units that runs up to my battery...my neighbor thinks it would be fine to just cut out the converter, and splice directly into the trucks wiring...is that okay to do? I've read some articles on the web saying yes, and others saying it's a very bad idea...anyone know the truth? I don't want to F-up my truck even though it's old. If I need a new converted, then it'll be a PITA as it'll have to be ordered in, and I'd like to use my trailer to go dirt biking. Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks.

I have a 92 4Runner and 4 years ago I had Truck Outfitters set it up for towing with a 7 way outlet, but with only the simple 4 wires installed. It's worked fine up until a week ago when my signals no longer worked. My neighbor and I did some inspecting (he's an electrician) and we found the converted box that they installed was pooched. The converter is one of those units that runs up to my battery...my neighbor thinks it would be fine to just cut out the converter, and splice directly into the trucks wiring...is that okay to do? I've read some articles on the web saying yes, and others saying it's a very bad idea...anyone know the truth? I don't want to F-up my truck even though it's old. If I need a new converted, then it'll be a PITA as it'll have to be ordered in, and I'd like to use my trailer to go dirt biking. Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks.

The converter is damaged because you have a shorted wire in your trailer (grounded) and just splicing into the truck wont work. You have only 2 red lamps on the trailer, and red and amber on the tow rig. That is the whole reason for the converter.

So that means I have to have a new converter installed, as well as new wiring on the trailer? I also placed new tail lights just prior to the investigation as I thought the old ones were pooched...the new lights have grounding wires coming out of them as well to attach to the trailer frame. What do I need to do here?

So that means I have to have a new converter installed, as well as new wiring on the trailer? I also placed new tail lights just prior to the investigation as I thought the old ones were pooched...the new lights have grounding wires coming out of them as well to attach to the trailer frame. What do I need to do here?

Yes, I dont know about the new wiring for the trailer, but that 4 wire flat ribbon stuff (white|brown|yellow|green) wire is available in bulk. I'd replace it, secure it well, then check all circuits and install a new tail lamp converter. Some of the higher priced converters might have some special fused protection to insulate it from a short in the trailer. Or you can find out how much current each circuit used normally, then add an inline fuse yourself to do that. You only need to insulate the turn and stop lamps. Running lamps dont use the converter per say.

Cool, thanks a bunch bud. Really appreciate the help. I made an appointment to have the converter replaced (for free from the place that originally installed it) and I'll rewire the trailer myself. Thanks again.