Sign in to follow this  

07 vs 08

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade to a 250r. I have been a regular on the crf230f forum but now I am ready to move on. I can get a left over 2007 or 2008 new from honda, but was wondering besides the steering dampener and a few cosmetics, what is the difference between the 2 year models? Mainly in the performance & reliability departments. Is one better than the other?

I might hold out for the 2010 250r, only if it has EFI. but if not I can get the 2007 new in crate for $3200 and the 08 for 4k.

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade to a 250r. I have been a regular on the crf230f forum but now I am ready to move on. I can get a left over 2007 or 2008 new from honda, but was wondering besides the steering dampener and a few cosmetics, what is the difference between the 2 year models? Mainly in the performance & reliability departments. Is one better than the other?

I might hold out for the 2010 250r, only if it has EFI. but if not I can get the 2007 new in crate for $3200 and the 08 for 4k.

08 has a better cam, smaller exhaust valve stems (lighter valve train) and different porting.. the 07 according to some engine builders is a better head to port.. the biggest change is probably with the cam..

I'd buy another '07 for 3.2k in a heartbeat. You can get an '08 cam, TM carb mod and suspension for bit more than the cost of the '08.

The crankshafts in the 08 are different and don't hold up as good as the previous models. Ours went out at 83 hours and the oil was changed every 2 hours and new oil filter every 4 hours of riding. The filter was cleaned after every ride and the bike never sucked and dirt and was kept in showroom new condition. Had to replace the piston and valves at 50 hours but that is about normal. I was not very happy when the crank went out though and ruined my cyclinder. Just my .02 worth. I would go with the 07 or a new YAMAHA.

i agree to a point, i am seeing more new cranks going faster then the older ones.. same materials but the newer ones had a better center of gravity..

or you can buy a yamahog which is reliable.. but get used to see red bikes in front of you.. :worthy:

If you are going to rev the snot out of it and are concerned about total cost of ownership get hte 07. it you are going to rid it like a 450, lower rpm lugging usig the torque with smaller sprockets or something I'd get the 08.

If droping 2K a year on maintenence does not phase you regardless of how you ride get the 08.

Plan on putting a piston in ever 30 hours, a crank at 100, and complete head about 100 as well. Remember, maitneance is not the same as repair. You need to mainain and replace things on these bikes BEFORE they fail.

Some go 150 hours and then guys sell them without ever replacing anything. Of course this is why everyone knows many people who bought a used thumper only to have it fail shortly after.

Coming from a 230 this is going to expensve to properly maintain. Very. Again you can ignore all maintenance and hope for the best.

Good luck!

If you are going to rev the snot out of it and are concerned about total cost of ownership get hte 07. it you are going to rid it like a 450, lower rpm lugging usig the torque with smaller sprockets or something I'd get the 08.

If droping 2K a year on maintenence does not phase you regardless of how you ride get the 08.

Plan on putting a piston in ever 30 hours, a crank at 100, and complete head about 100 as well. Remember, maitneance is not the same as repair. You need to mainain and replace things on these bikes BEFORE they fail.

Some go 150 hours and then guys sell them without ever replacing anything. Of course this is why everyone knows many people who bought a used thumper only to have it fail shortly after.

Coming from a 230 this is going to expensve to properly maintain. Very. Again you can ignore all maintenance and hope for the best.

Good luck!

X2! Maintance is key! Take care of the bike and it will treat you right! A rebuild costs way less then an engine failure!

I beleve the 07 has 24mm clamps and the 08 has a 22mm offset or is that just on the 450??

The handeling of the 08 is also better due to the 22mm offset with the steering damper rather than 24mm offset of the 07. With less offset, the front end is more prone to shake at high speeds which is where the damper is "suppose to" stop that from happening. Not 100% true. Because the stock damper has little to no effect 10 degrees in either direction of center, it's just a tad better. The difference is in the rutted corners. The 08 is much better, but you have to do some modifying to the damper. The stock damper is really not that good after about 10 hours if you're lucky. I'd say get the 07. If you're just moving up from a 230, by the time you can really put this bike to it's capacity, you'll be looking at a FI model anyway. My kid has an 08 and he loves it. It does have more power than the 07 stock and I think the crankshafts are better in the older models also. That's speaking from experience 1st hand!