Sign in to follow this  

What is this and do I need it?

its to keep the top and bottom springs together when the wheel drops in a hole or something. You probably should get it fixed just to be on the safe side.

Ok, thanks.

I was thinking about taking some 14? maybe 16? gauge steel scrap that's about the right size, wrapping it around the leaf and welding it fast to itself (not the spring pack). Now that I know I should have it, I'll do that.

Both sides were pretty well rusted off only held on by friction. I noticed this when I flipped the axle from over the springs to under.

Hose clamp sounds like a good idea too.

get some flat stock metal and make your own clamp with bolts

I noticed the alignment hole too. I figured I'd just stick a shim in after it's in place to keep it from sliding anywhere.

Although now I'm thinking I can weld a nut on the inside of the strap, put the nut in the alignment hole and there's no way it's going anywhere.

I hope you can see what's not right here, the strap around the spring pack has snapped, so is it important? Do I need it? How should I replace it?

Photo: http://austinkrebs.com/trailer/IMAGE_00111.jpg (large)

OK, there is a clamp that keeps the leafs from sliding sideways. And I see you are missing the insulator (hole in leaf) which keeps them quiet and from slapping. Its not life threatening, but try to see if you can find one in the mean time, keep using the trailer. OSB decking??? :banana::worthy:

OK, there is a clamp that keeps the leafs from sliding sideways. And I see you are missing the insulator (hole in leaf) which keeps them quiet and from slapping. Its not life threatening, but try to see if you can find one in the mean time, keep using the trailer. OSB decking??? :banana::worthy:
What is the insulator? Got a photo? It's not noisy, but I'm curious.

Actually, the trailer came this way, it's a work in progress. Still, for $125 and so far, maybe $60 in additional steel, I can't complain.

However, I'm glad I checked this stuff when I did, one of the bolts had two threads holding the nut on. I've since torqued them all using an impact wrench.

May get paranoid and lock-tite them too.