Sign in to follow this  

450/505 xc battery reliability

howdy all, i'm looking into buy a 450/505 XC for my next ride, however i am worried about the reliability of the electrical system on these bikes, where i ride (very hilly country, hill's, ST, gullies river crossing ect) i can't afford to have a bike that won't start, i've had the electrical systems fail on 3 of 3 KTM's i've owned so far, kill switch on an 07 250 EXC-F and 08 450 EXC-R, kill switch and starter motor on my 09 300, and the battery on all three have given in in less then 100 hours lucky for me all of these bikes have a back up kick start, hows the XC's electrical systems fair?

i'm looking for a do it all bike (which the 300 has been so far) but i wont to have a go at a more agressive 4 stroke, the 08 EXC-R was to soft, lacked top end (wasn't anywhere near flexable enough) and was way to heavy, i've been happy with my 300 so far but it doesn't fare so well for MX, i love it otherwise.

The first month I rode I did have a few issues with the battery going dead after trying to crank it. IN the last three months it has not failed me at all, so what did I do. First I got the jetting nailed down, then I got the idle set properly, then always made sure to use the hot start lever this made a big difference.

I shut it off every time we stop for more than 30 seconds and it hasn't left me stranded yet. In a couple endouros when it got hot and boiled over it was starting hard, once I had to let it sit for about 10 minutes then it started fine.

Finally if I am not riding for a couple weeks I always put it on a charger. But honestly my 250, current 450 and previous 450 did well, the 450 EXC never failed me and the battery was five years old.

Like anything you have to take care of it.

450 XCF here. Never once have I had a problem with starting. I used a battery tender once in a while with the stock battery, but now have a light weight lithium battery and it never needs a battery charger. I also have a 300 btw. The XCF can be a great do it all bike like the 300 is. I dont care much for the 300 on the

mx track though. that is what the 450 XCF is used for.

I'm having trouble with my 505 xcf battery going dead when trying to start. I've heard the 6 amp battery in the honda crf 450 x is better. Any advice? Does re-jetting help?

I'm having trouble with my 505 xcf battery going dead when trying to start. I've heard the 6 amp battery in the honda crf 450 x is better. Any advice? Does re-jetting help?

The battery that comes in the Honda (YTZ7S) is the same size, but has more cranking amps. It is a 6 amp, while the 505 battery is a 4 amp. It is a pound heavier, but has more juice. The specs can be looked up in any major catalog that sells Yuasa.

definitely get the yuasa upgrade. made a world of difference in my 450. jetting and valves are important too. used to have a few problems with the cold start but id just bump it and then never had a problem the rest of the day with using the estart. havent had a problem since swapping out batteries. also with the yuasa get the little plug that says if you have full battery power. easy peace of mind. havent been on the 505 but id get another xcf for sure. the no kick backup is sketchy and i felt the same way but even with the problems its been reliable and a hell of a bike.

I have the 2009 505 XC-F and haven't had one issue.

I also use a battery tender when it is sitting in the garage and it's all good when it's time to ride!

Check out turntech batteries. Half of the weight and never needs charging.

+1 :worthy: I have the small on in my Husaberg and it fires up no problem and does not need a battery tender.

I have a 2008 505xcf with 140+ hours, and have never had any issues.I also have a 570xcrw that I've never had to kickstart,even in winter with the snow-bike kit.