Sign in to follow this  

how do i tell if my carb is restricted?

i heard that the carb could be restricted to 33BHP on my bike as it feels really slow and powerless...

this is what i read...

"On the exhaust side of the carb there is a plastic cover which protects the throttle linkage. Remove the screw retaining this and then unclip it from the carb (this is a bit fiddly). If you open / close the throttle a few times you will see the round linkage connect with a stop at full throttle. The restricted one is about 25-30mm long with a tapered end, the unrestricted one is about 10mm long with a flat end. If you need to change it then remove the carb as it's much easier, if you do this you can also open the throttle manually and look through the carb to ensure you get full throttle. "

now im not sure what im looking for?

here is a vid of my carb, can i see from this vid if its restricted??

am i looking in the right area?

i heard that the carb could be restricted to 33BHP on my bike as it feels really slow and powerless...

this is what i read...

"On the exhaust side of the carb there is a plastic cover which protects the throttle linkage. Remove the screw retaining this and then unclip it from the carb (this is a bit fiddly). If you open / close the throttle a few times you will see the round linkage connect with a stop at full throttle. The restricted one is about 25-30mm long with a tapered end, the unrestricted one is about 10mm long with a flat end. If you need to change it then remove the carb as it's much easier, if you do this you can also open the throttle manually and look through the carb to ensure you get full throttle. "

now im not sure what im looking for?

here is a vid of my carb, can i see from this vid if its restricted??

am i looking in the right area?

On the DRZ/s it’s this has been posted about.. it was not the carb that is restricted, it is the rubber manifold between the carb and the head. It will have a large rubber flap molded in that blocks a part of the manifold. Having never seen this bafoonery in person, you’ll have to wait for one of your fellow non US riders to add their $.02

On the DRZ/s it’s this has been posted about.. it was not the carb that is restricted, it is the rubber manifold between the carb and the head. It will have a large rubber flap molded in that blocks a part of the manifold. Having never seen this bafoonery in person, you’ll have to wait for one of your fellow non US riders to add their $.02

ive checked the rubber between carb and head, thats completely open.

i have no idea whats wrong with my bike then. my mate has the same bike, but its soo much more faster than mine my revs die off so quickly as well, here is a vid of the 2 bikes, you can head how fast the revs drop off on my bike compared to my friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUvplLgAAT4

The tops of the CV carb have a 'tube' that sticks down, preventing full slide lift.

Do a search here on de-restricting a UK bike, you'll the solutions

The Aussie bikes (NZ too?) have the "washer in the manifold" restrictor.

Do canadian bikes have any of these restrictions either?

the bug

Unless Canada has a tiered motorcycle endorsement/license, then the bikes shouldn't have a restrictor. At least in the UK, there is a license structure that limits bikes to 25KW or 33bhp for new riders; of course, I can't fathom how the restriction would prove to be of any impact to a stock DRZ. On the other hand, I believe a few of the other European nations have strict emissions requirements (chemical and sound) that have prompted the installation of such restrictors.

That vid is of an FCR carb, which is not standard fitment on a UK S bike, it won't be restricted.

The carb restriction over here is as William said, a different top on the CV carb (S model only) that prevents the slide fully opening.

Neil. :worthy::banana: :banana: