Oversize Brake on 2007 YZ450F

Since search is disabled right now...

I am looking at upgrading my front brake for more stopping power before a corner. I have stock pads and rotor right now. Plusses and minuses?

What do you all recommend?

Braking?

Galfer?

Driven?

Motomaster?

What about all the other times you use the front brake other than before a corner?

Anyway most of the top teams here use Braking and thats what I will be using very soon aswell. Some others might be as good I dont know, but I know the Braking discs/kits are proven.

I have used braking and galfer rotors and they are both very good. I haven't tried a 270mm rotor, but I currently have a 260mm rotor on my 450 and it does add a little more braking power, but it isn't night and day. It feels about the same as the braking power of my 07 YZ250F with the new caliper and master cylinder. You may want to try getting a Honda caliper and master cylinder off ebay first, as that will improve the braking and will be cheaper than an oversized kit.

I would try Honda pads first. They are cheap compared to the oversize rotor. They also work really well with galfer and braking rotors so its not a waste of money with either option.

I would try Honda pads first. They are cheap compared to the oversize rotor. They also work really well with galfer and braking rotors so its not a waste of money with either option.

The pads are a good idea but keep in mind when you purchase the Braking oversized kit it comes with a set of pads.

I use Braking's 270kit and Galfer SS braided brakeline ...it is a night and day difference in braking

I have used braking and galfer rotors and they are both very good. I haven't tried a 270mm rotor, but I currently have a 260mm rotor on my 450 and it does add a little more braking power, but it isn't night and day. It feels about the same as the braking power of my 07 YZ250F with the new caliper and master cylinder. You may want to try getting a Honda caliper and master cylinder off ebay first, as that will improve the braking and will be cheaper than an oversized kit.

Which years and makes fit? Are they pretty much universal?

out of your list i would go with braking.. I have their 270mm kit on my 07 and i love it..

The pads are a good idea but keep in mind when you purchase the Braking oversized kit it comes with a set of pads.

The Galfer rotor comes with pads as well, however, they are not near as good as stock Honda pads. The Galfer pads, even with an oversize rotor, were soft, weak and spongy. Braking pads were better, but nowhere as good as the oem Honda pads.

I think often times these braking issues are related to aftermarket pads.

I think often times these braking issues are related to aftermarket pads.

Pads are enormously important to the feel, effectiveness, and fade resistance of a disc brake. The right set of pads will make more difference than just about any other single factor.

So maybe I should just try a set of OEM Honda pads first? Anyone know which part # I will need??

I dont believe the Honda cr/crf pads work on the 2008 or 2009, but basically any of the are ok on the 07's. I bought a set from an 07 crf 450 and they fit perfectly. Truthfully, I think you can get them for cr's as far back as 98 and be ok.

Do any of you know if Honda pads (front), will fit on my stock 2004 Yz450F? If so, what is the model number?

thanks

Yes, they fit a wide range of YZ/YZF models, yours included. The pad for the '03-'07 CRF450 is a typical example.

hi guys the crf rmz yzf kxf are the same front brake pads from 2002 - 2008 this is for sure

hi guys the crf rmz yzf kxf are the same front brake pads from 2002 - 2008 this is for sure
They are all interchangeable, but they are definitely not all the same.

Any opinions on the difference in just swapping the stock front brake line for a stainless steel? I have tried the oversize rotors and yes they do help but as has been stated good pads are the most important thing as is a good rotor. Also being a off road rider I worry about the volnerability of a oversize. My sons ktm has a stainless brake hose with what looks like the same size rotor as my 08450. Much better feel then mine allthough mine is not bad.

I finally installed a Braking 260mm Oversize rotor with the supplied baking pads. It is a noticeable improvement over the stock system. I will try this setup over the next month or so and if needed, I can always go with the Honda OEM pads later if I need to.

how about the rear do the honda pads fit as well?

I have the Braking 270mm on my bike it has incredible feel and stopping power over stock but that is an '04