Really loud THUNK

My bike is a '99 wr400 and has been running great. The last couple rides I've been hearing and feeling a really loud thunk. It sounds just like a large rock hitting my skid plate. As a matter of fact thats what I thought it was. What clued me in was that it only seems to happen on a hard landing or harsh bump. It's very random and has only happened a couple times but I want to catch the problem before it gets worse. On quick inspection the only thing I'm seeing is a slightly loose chain but not excessivly so. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

My bike is a '99 wr400 and has been running great. The last couple rides I've been hearing and feeling a really loud thunk. It sounds just like a large rock hitting my skid plate. As a matter of fact thats what I thought it was. What clued me in was that it only seems to happen on a hard landing or harsh bump. It's very random and has only happened a couple times but I want to catch the problem before it gets worse. On quick inspection the only thing I'm seeing is a slightly loose chain but not excessivly so. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

We are going to need more info to help, I think.

Put the bike up on a stand and inspect the steering head, forks, front and rear caliper retainers, swingarm and linkage, and the top bushing for the shock.

Maybe you have loose motor mounts?

I'll get it up on a stand and check everything suggested. I tend to think it's not coming from up front, I replaced the fork seals and steering head bearings at the begining of the season and everything seems to be operating fine on that end. I can actually feel the"thunk" telegraph through my feet when it does happen...linkage does sound like a likely suspect. I'll get back. thx