Pros/Cons 09 KX450F(Help)

maybe he just wants to get some info on different bikes before he spends his fortune on a new toy.

anyways, i just got off a 07 crf450. bought the kx450 this week, going to ride tomorrow. ill let you know what i think then, but from what ive gathered breaking it in this week, it sits kind of high compaired to my honda. so if your short, might want to sit on one at the dealer first and see if you can touch, im 5'6" and i can barely touch on both tippy toes. the front tire seems fine to me so far, ill see once i get on loam, as i only rode on hard pack so far. seems that people like to make stupid excusses when they cant corner.

the suspension is really stiff. not a problem to me, as i get all my bikes suspension redone, as most other people do also. throttle response is unreal. kawi tuning software is also a nice treat. its alot slimmer than my honda which is really nice. its 09 man, any bike is going to be really good these days.

I had an 06, 07, and 09 KX450. All were great. The 09 is by far the best.

Zero work on it other than the normal filter changes, greasing, and wearing out tires. Don't run out of gas.

The others were awesome too. my 06 cracked a piston in 06, but once I put the updated piston in that was over.

The 07 is still killing it. Best bang for the buck ever. The 09 still only has 30 hours so we will see. The 07 has 200+ on the stock bottom end.

The 09 has perfect jetting all the time like I wished for on the other bikes.

I've rode and raced YZ450's, Cr450's, a couple of sick KTM's with factory suspension, and the RM450s(06 only) I prefer the KXF or CRF for my style. Both are bad ass machines and the rider will be the limiting factor, not the bike.

I rode a 09 CR450 on a track for a day, I liked how it handled and just about everything about it, but the motor on the KX - I'll never give that up! Its just too fun.

I'm 39 years old, I've been riding for 34 years. For the last 20 years, I've bought a new bike every year, heck, sometimes several new bikes per year. I have been a faithful Honda owner for many of these years.

When the new 09 CRF450 came out, I was so excited to finally get fuel injection, blah blah blah. I immediately went out and bought one. I rode that bike for 45 minutes, and hated it. I was so disappointed. The geometry was wrong, the suspension was wrong, the list of problems just stressed me out. Just go read the CRF thread, and you'll see what I mean.

I went on a mad search for a replacement, even considered going back to an 08 CRF450(arguably one of the best bikes ever built), but, in my kookyness, I wanted an 09 bike.

I have been on the 'Kawaski's are junk' bandwagon for many years. My last Kawasaki was 1984. If the bike wasn't red or blue it was junk.

Well, after reading all the hype on the 09 KX450F, I started researching a little more and more. I talked to some Pro riders that I know, they loved the bike. Looked at some of the privateers, many are on green. Here on TT, many Honda faithfuls were making the leap.

So, I bit the bullet, and bought a 2009 Kawasaki KX450F. Took it home, lost a few friends, stared at it in my garage, my wife and kids laughed at me, stayed up at night, wondering why I did this....

finally, took it to my local MX track....

Now listen, you know how you have your one riding partner that has always been a little faster then you? Every time you ride with him, you can hold him off, but if he gets around you, he slowly pulls away. Well, I've had 'that guy' for the last 10 years. He's a fast Vet Intermediate, and he almost rubs it in. Well, I unload my bike, he's there, laughing at my green machine, along with a few other buddies shaking their heads. Finally, I make it out on to the track, do a couple slow and smooth sighting laps, come in to adjust my levers, I'm anal 'bout that stuff. Go back at out, and hit it. I not only caught my arch nemesis, I passed him, then, I pulled away! Then, even more impressive, kept going, and did more laps, in a practice, then I've ever done. Came in, through my bike up on the stand, tried really hard to wipe off the sh*t eating grin off my face, waited for my buddy to come over, it got so bad, I actually started laughing out loud, almost in tears. He says to me, "All you had to do was buy a green bike, and now you're faster then me?" As we stood there, staring at my bike in awww, several other locals walk over and say, 'Dude, you're flyin' on that thing, you like it?" I just smiled and said " Yeah, it's alright"

The moral to my story, is, I was very skeptical before I bought the bike. Even after that day, I needed more proof that it was as good as it was that day. I took it on several trail rides with my trail ridin buddies, it did great. I took it back to the same MX track, still smoked my buddy, and honestly and humbly feel faster then ever.

The bike is so easy to ride. So easy to start. Oil changes are a snap, one sump, one filter, one measurement, under 5 minutes.

After a few rides I was in love. I fell for the advice of the TT crowd and broke down and bought some RG3 20 degree triple clamps. Threw on some Renthal FatBars, grips(just buy a new throttle tube), gold chain, and sprocket(stock gearing). I still have the stock front tire, it's not that bad, but I've got a 403 ready to go on it.

It is hands down the best bike I've ever owned. For the first time ever, I will probably not buy a new one(2010) this year.

It may not have the fit and finish of a Honda, but ya know what, who cares. If the bike works better, makes you faster, that's a trade off I'll take any day.

To all of you that keep chimin in to the KX450 forum and curious about the 09 KX450F, here is my advice. Go get a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, or a KTM. Leave these Kawi's to the die hard Kawasaki riders, :worthy: (that's sarcasm, for those of you who love to argue on forums) :banana:

Question for you guys. I'm a senior rider (off-road) used to ride the A class in the younger days, but senior B would be a fair assessment now. Been riding orange since 84. My dealer just closed the door and to be honest, I'm sick of orange. I did own a 02 KX 250 and it was a good bike. Anyway, I'm getting older but I still like to push myself pretty hard. I do like the Estart on the orange bikes but I've been looking at the Kawi and wondering if it's as easy to start as everyone says. I'm also sick of spending 1K to get the orange suspension to work correctly. So I'm thinking O-ring chain, big tank, revalve suspension, quieter S/A muff and I'm set to go. My biggest concern is the starting. Any other advise?

Thanks

Question for you guys. I'm a senior rider (off-road) used to ride the A class in the younger days, but senior B would be a fair assessment now. Been riding orange since 84. My dealer just closed the door and to be honest, I'm sick of orange. I did own a 02 KX 250 and it was a good bike. Anyway, I'm getting older but I still like to push myself pretty hard. I do like the Estart on the orange bikes but I've been looking at the Kawi and wondering if it's as easy to start as everyone says. I'm also sick of spending 1K to get the orange suspension to work correctly. So I'm thinking O-ring chain, big tank, revalve suspension, quieter S/A muff and I'm set to go. My biggest concern is the starting. Any other advise?

Thanks

Hey M-Crotts,

I am a "Orange Guy" too and I can tell you this. Yesterday morning I spent about a 1/2hr riding single track on a buddy's 08 KX450F and it was one of the 1st bikes I have ridden that was a MX bike that I didn't have to get use to. As soon as I took off it was magic:banana: The Bike kicked over everytime on the 1st kick. One thing I did find, was how great the bike lugged in 2nd gear. For what it's worth, I ride only off road not track and the bikes I've owned in the last few years have been 07 WR450F, 08 KTM 530 XCR-W(which was a great bike) and currently a 05 KTM 300 MXC. I'm saving my $$$ now to pick me an 08 "green maching":banana: (oh, I'll still keep my 3 hunny because it's too sweet of a bike to give up) As far as other things to do to the bike; replace the triples and make that baby turn sweet:thumbsup: Anyhow, just my .02:thumbsup:

Thanks RAZ227, I gotta see if I can bum a ride on one. I've got a 09 450 XC-W now, and it's a good bike. I just want to try some thing else. Where did you ride this 08?

I've got 3 kawi boys and another ktm guy I ride with every weekend. One guy has both an 08 and 09 450F and the other two have the 08's. My ktm buddy has the 08 ktm 450 XC, and the KX was a heck of a lot snappier.

The 09 is an excellent jumping machine. Feels light and flickable, but its stable too. The 09 may be a little more twitchy than the 06-08 chassis, but it corners a little better too. It seemed like the 06-08 needed that sag to be just right before the bike would settle into a turn, and the fork height also has to be just right, even small deviations would produce some ill manners. Once dialed though, I hate to say it, but it turns like a honda or suzuki. (which is a compliment). The 09 chassis turns better but I had to work a bit to get that solid feel down the straits. I actually took the FC suspension off my 07 and put it on my 09 and have been running it. Its perfect for me. But understand I ride softer dirt, loam and sand mostly and we just don't have hard pack here.

Sweet jumping machine though for sure. The motor makes you look at things that you probably shouldn't...it will go big all day.

That about explains it perfect!

Agree with everything you said

I'm 39 years old, I've been riding for 34 years. For the last 20 years, I've bought a new bike every year, heck, sometimes several new bikes per year. I have been a faithful Honda owner for many of these years.

When the new 09 CRF450 came out, I was so excited to finally get fuel injection, blah blah blah. I immediately went out and bought one. I rode that bike for 45 minutes, and hated it. I was so disappointed. The geometry was wrong, the suspension was wrong, the list of problems just stressed me out. Just go read the CRF thread, and you'll see what I mean.

I went on a mad search for a replacement, even considered going back to an 08 CRF450(arguably one of the best bikes ever built), but, in my kookyness, I wanted an 09 bike.

I have been on the 'Kawaski's are junk' bandwagon for many years. My last Kawasaki was 1984. If the bike wasn't red or blue it was junk.

Well, after reading all the hype on the 09 KX450F, I started researching a little more and more. I talked to some Pro riders that I know, they loved the bike. Looked at some of the privateers, many are on green. Here on TT, many Honda faithfuls were making the leap.

So, I bit the bullet, and bought a 2009 Kawasaki KX450F. Took it home, lost a few friends, stared at it in my garage, my wife and kids laughed at me, stayed up at night, wondering why I did this....

finally, took it to my local MX track....

Now listen, you know how you have your one riding partner that has always been a little faster then you? Every time you ride with him, you can hold him off, but if he gets around you, he slowly pulls away. Well, I've had 'that guy' for the last 10 years. He's a fast Vet Intermediate, and he almost rubs it in. Well, I unload my bike, he's there, laughing at my green machine, along with a few other buddies shaking their heads. Finally, I make it out on to the track, do a couple slow and smooth sighting laps, come in to adjust my levers, I'm anal 'bout that stuff. Go back at out, and hit it. I not only caught my arch nemesis, I passed him, then, I pulled away! Then, even more impressive, kept going, and did more laps, in a practice, then I've ever done. Came in, through my bike up on the stand, tried really hard to wipe off the sh*t eating grin off my face, waited for my buddy to come over, it got so bad, I actually started laughing out loud, almost in tears. He says to me, "All you had to do was buy a green bike, and now you're faster then me?" As we stood there, staring at my bike in awww, several other locals walk over and say, 'Dude, you're flyin' on that thing, you like it?" I just smiled and said " Yeah, it's alright"

The moral to my story, is, I was very skeptical before I bought the bike. Even after that day, I needed more proof that it was as good as it was that day. I took it on several trail rides with my trail ridin buddies, it did great. I took it back to the same MX track, still smoked my buddy, and honestly and humbly feel faster then ever.

The bike is so easy to ride. So easy to start. Oil changes are a snap, one sump, one filter, one measurement, under 5 minutes.

After a few rides I was in love. I fell for the advice of the TT crowd and broke down and bought some RG3 20 degree triple clamps. Threw on some Renthal FatBars, grips(just buy a new throttle tube), gold chain, and sprocket(stock gearing). I still have the stock front tire, it's not that bad, but I've got a 403 ready to go on it.

It is hands down the best bike I've ever owned. For the first time ever, I will probably not buy a new one(2010) this year.

It may not have the fit and finish of a Honda, but ya know what, who cares. If the bike works better, makes you faster, that's a trade off I'll take any day.

To all of you that keep chimin in to the KX450 forum and curious about the 09 KX450F, here is my advice. Go get a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, or a KTM. Leave these Kawi's to the die hard Kawasaki riders, :worthy: (that's sarcasm, for those of you who love to argue on forums) :banana: