KTM 65 SX vs XC?

KTM's site is pretty useless, and the comparator didn't appear to show any differences - what is the difference between an SX and an XC?

Looking to buy a used one, what do we need to look out for?

I'm targeting an '03 and up. He'll race novice to start (I'm making this up, long time rider, I've never raced), he's coming off a CRF 50, no races, and is 9.

TIA!

Gear box different? One wide ratio and one close ratio? I would also assume power valve is tuned differently in stock for at least. I bet suspension valving is different. Just guessig but one being off road and one being MX.. All this is true for larger bikes. Gear box, suspension, engine tune even fork geometry.

Not sure any of that makes a difference for novice riders though.

never even seen the XC in person so cannot speak for those. No power valves until 09 models so no worries there.

things to look for: hard riders will break the rear hub. look for spiderweb cracks in the fins on the inside of the sprocket side. front motor mounts will crack if the motor mounts bolts get loose. Check the air box. They get dirty easy and many neglect it. starting in 04 they went to a dinky mountain bike rear brake caliper. 03 has better brakes by FAR. many will upgrade their 04 with 03 brakes.

Not many motor changes until 09. 09's have much more power but are prone to breaking the power valve. tons of power valve problems but once dialed in they scream. Much better bike than some of the other 65's in both stock suspension and more linear powerband.

try to find one that has a stock motor. too many hacks out there that screw up the powerband IMO.

• Helpful 1