Ride Report: 2009 Baja Beach Bash

this is my favorite pic of the baja beach bash. the final in the hill climb with Johnny Campbell getting the hole shot and Brian Cambell taking the outside line.

The riding was great and it was cool for a novice rider like myself to hang with so many baja vets. Thanks to Baja Bound Moto and all the others for putting it together.

knewton700149.jpg

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx99/knewton58/00149.jpg

I cant help but stare at all of the pics and wipe the drool off my chin. I cannot wait to get down there! I love riding with Jen and I hear Tim is "The Man." All 150 wimpyness pounds of him (his words:smirk:) I met Chilly at the VCMC race. "Hi" Chilly if your reading this. I was the girl sleeping in the back of my truck parked next to you. I was going to ask you if you knew the Morton's when you said where you were from.

You guys ROCK! IM BAJA BOUND FOR SURE!

My turn! Yes, a great time indeed! Lot's of duplicate pic's on my camera but here are some of my favorites.

We met early on Thursday to mark some trails with Tim, Chilly and the gang.

One of Tims super clean 450's at the staging area.

IMG_0584.jpg

Chilly closing a gate.

IMG_0590.jpg

My riding partner on the trail.

IMG_0593.jpg

Tim Morton at the Foot Down event. This was the best photo of my sequence. I think he rode the rear wheel up and out of this spot.

IMG_0738.jpg

A run in with some wire.

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Great time even for a rookie. Never felt pressure to ride over my head and was supported by a great group of riders.

Thanks again.

lou

Wow!! What an excellent time I had. Some very cool and sometimes challenging riding, awesome landscapes to view, great peolple and just an overall fun time. I would like to thank Tim and Jennifer Morton of Baja Bound Moto, Cameron Steele and his crew, Johnny Campbell and all of those involved in preparing this ride. This was only my third time riding in baja (the first being the San Felipe 250 and the second being the 500) so I wasn't sure what to expect. Everything went well for me (other than a slightly bent radiator). OK, a totally destroyed radiator. But with the help of Tim Morton and a replacement radiator it ended up being nothing more than a small hiccup in our ride. It was very fun riding with all of the Baja veterans as well as everyone in attendance. The circle jerk beach race, Chilly's challenge, the foot down competition and the hill climb all provided some serious fun and and were all definately very entertaining (but don't forget magic man behind the bar at Coyote Cal's). I have to give props to Jen Morton for her hill climbing abilities and as a result of her great run and my weak one, I got to wear a pink ribbon for the rest of the ride. I just wanted to say thanks for the great time to everyone and I am looking forward to doing it again. Everyones photos, videos and post on this forum have been very cool. Thanks again and see all of you on the next one.

Brian Sweaney

aka one of the "four stooges"

A few more things wrapping up a stellar few days in Baja.....

- Brian Sweany (team Bako, aka: 404x, aka: 4 Stooges) doing Chillys Challenge without dabbing – full Hero of the downhill I say (I guess we need to make gnarlier hills)

- Bruce Hendle (VP fuel honcho) narrowly avoiding serious injury crashing at bottom of Chilly Challenge

- Brian Mathews (Penhall Fab) getting SO lucky with his eyes closed too ballsy bomb down C.C. – IMO the entire group dodged a couple bullets on those two almost incidents

- Chicks making it down C.Challenge!

- Brian Cornelius (High Roller tie-downs) seriously roosting the crap out of Johnny Campbell during 2 sand race motos (who else here claims to have roosted JC? yeah, I thought so...)

- Mitch (mtzracing) doing his Solo ride – some of the most aged minds of Baja discussing Mitch…. Tim & Cameron not sure what to do next and Johnny C.s answer (I don’t think I should type it, damn funny though!)

- Jen Morton (HeadHooter) easily trials’ing that ridgeback leaving the beach (showing the guys how it’s done!)

- Beating Colton in both the Circle Jerk and the Hillclimb (come’on, he’s a real Pro and I’m old)

- Heartbreak for Marcus Brown almost clearing the hillclimb, SO close, 6th place, 5 guys cleared it

- Brian Campbell (team Bako, aka: 404x, aka: 4 Stooges) absolutely killing the Hill all 4 attempts – very deserving of King Of the Hill status

- Josh Wellington (Metal Mulisha) Prince of the Hill of novice group (higher than many Pros!)

- Jen Morton (BBM, HeadHooter) higher on the Hillclimb than many Pros, Queen of the Hill, and the Pros wearing pink ribbon after getting beat by a chick! (Sweany can go down hill and Chilly can trials ride but Jen whooped ‘em both, plus others!)

- I’m proud of myself for my “start” technique (they said “anything goes”) at the Hillclimb Final and almost got taken out (tackled) by Hendle as I passed him farther up the Hill

- Brian Sweany dogging me in a single-track then full-on wad hitting giant rock – nice radiator

- Supreme comedy hill climbing out of Red Rattler (I guess the hill is called Carnage or Carnegie Hill now)

- Funny how many people didn’t notice what we rode thru in Red Rattler canyon

- Dave Vincent (Baja43) and I upclose witnessing the Legend, Johnny Campbell, do legs extended headstand wrecking down Drop Of Faith (thanks Jim Tripp and Brian Cornelius for digging out that side-hill with shovels)

- Big Billy Cotton (really big, and TTer I think) as bar keep Saturday night doing the Michael Jackson tirbute

- The smiles on the kids and riders at Santa Marta – touching to say the least

- Everyones generosity donating to Luis Garcia (more on that in another post)

- Johnny Campbell uses mango lip gloss

- I held my own anger management class Sunday morning

- The WD40, dirt, and cheese on trucks fight

- Who wants to go camping? Terry (stb2wheels) and Donovan, you in?

- No Swine Flu

- No robberies

- No crooked cops

We love Baja!:worthy:

going through all video from bbb

the hill climb footage awesome

award footage great scotty while i slept thanks

great stuff from school visit cameron

we will put some clips on tracking international

next week. enough interest maybr dvds

goal will be 1 hr special on speed

george

fresh back from surfing down that way, saw lots of bike traffic through 4casas.

Juan, the owner of Acambaro and a good friend of mine was VERY stoked and appreciative of you guys using his restrant. He is a huge supporter of baja travelers and a great guy to support. The BB sign is going to be hung proudly for a while. As a side note he made me some personal miguelitro baja surfers rip stickers and he will be coming up to SD for a padres game(to celebrate his son's b-day) He is gonna be giving me a call to let me know when, it might be kinda last minute but i will post up as he would be stoked to have people come out.

Mike

this is killing me! I am going home and be pissed at my wife for not letting me go (what she called being smart?), ok I cant be pissed at her but Ill give her crap for it.

Anyway looks like a great time I am very envious! But I like seeing the pics and vid's :worthy:

Instead I rode a lousy local loop and did this, not even a good story to put to it.

588428662_RE6Sh-L.jpg

I hope you guys do this again someday, Ill be there

Hey, I saw this on KTM talk last night. Now its back to haunt me again.!!!!!