Speedo For XR400

I'm looking at putting a new speedo on my dual sport converted 99 XR400. I currently have a analog speedo from an older XR250 and am looking at getting a more modern digital backlit version. I am leaning towards the Trail Tech brand but don't know which of the 3 versions to choose from Endurance, Vector or Vapour. I've read that the versions with the tach don't work so well. Anyone have a opinions or experiences with these?

I have used the trailtech units and while they are excellent functionally, I have come to the opinion that they are not robust enough for trail riding. One decent knock and the display stops working. The LCD bits are connected to the circuit boards with some weird glue stuff and once they separate they are toast.

The trailtechs are expensive to replace and after three of the things I gave up.

Since then I went to a bicycle shop and bought a cheapo speedometer that works off a magnet on the front hub (same as the trailtechs). It was less than a quarter of the price and I have crashed a squillion times (I have no talent as a rider) and it still works just peachy.

My bike speedo does not have a backlight but there are backlit models available.

Interesting comments on the Trailtechs.

I use a Cateye Enduro bicycle speedo on my plated XR400. Works fine after many crashes.

I use a Trail tech Endurance (cheaper than the other 2 ) and it works fine, even after plenty of crashes.

I'm in the process of installing a Vapor now.

Has anyone ever taken the Vapor apart and hardened the board with silicone?

Is it true that the Vector and Vapour need to be hooked up to bikes power supply? Does that mean there is plug in connections or do you have to cut into the wire harness and solder in conections?

They don't "have to" be hooked to the bikes power supply. They have their own watch type battery in the unit. The backlighting is about half as bright and some of the functions only work on a 12v supply. Auto shut down time is 1 minute compared to 20 minutes when on 12v.

The power, tach, head temp, speed all have their own separate pigtail and connector coming out of the unit. The kit comes with all the related wiring for each. The only things you "tap" into are for power and tach.

When I ran the wire for my tach that's supposed to be wrapped around the spark plug wire 5 times, I left it too short, so didn't have enough to do that, and I wasn't going to redo it, so I hooked it up via one of the other connection options given. Added the wire into the connector from the stator to the coil. That's more of a stable, hard connection anyway. And ran the black ground side to the coil mounting tab on the frame right there.

I didn't use taps on any of it. I rather removed the stock bullet connectors and replaced with a new one, adding in the connection wires for the Vapor.

Is it true that the Vector and Vapour need to be hooked up to bikes power supply? Does that mean there is plug in connections or do you have to cut into the wire harness and solder in conections?

http://www.electrosport.com/dirt-bike/speedometers.php

You might want to take a look at the electrosport. I have been running mine (model ace-3200) for over a year with zero issues. This is also the stock speedo that honda uses on the 450x in the land down under. They use the stock od drive for a speed pick up. These can also be ordered by your local parts unlimited dealer.

I also use a Cateye "Astrale" cyclocomputer (bicycle computer) on my XR500R after the stock assembly got crushed in a crash. It was only $25, quick & easy setup and has worked flawlessly. I snipped off the cadence wire, no need for it.

I snipped off the cadence wire, no need for it.

What's a cadence wire?

What's a cadence wire?

measures the rpm's of the crank. How fast you are peddling. To be able to last a long time biking you maintain a high cadence, low effort spin. :worthy:

I purchased a Trail Tech Endurance with a aluminum guard. Not installed yet but will post my opinion on the unit after a few good rides.

Are you required to drill a hole in the XR400 rotor for installation of the magnet?

Can you install the magnet on the spokes for the Cateye and Trail tech Vapor speedometers?