Sign in to follow this  

Sierra Club Observation....

We ride all around the mountains in So. Calif. and the Sierras. This constantly takes us past trailheads used by the Sierra Club hiker/backpacker types. (I love to hike by the way, and can hike any Sierra Club weenie's ass into the ground!)

Of the vehices parked at hiking trailheads, one would expect to find mostly compact, fuel efficient, envoronmentally friendly vehicles that left wing enviro wackos can drive with pride. While there are some of these, my observation is that what I see are mostly full-size gas guzzler pickups!

What this suggest to me is that all this environmental BS is just a smoke screen. All these folks really want is all the best most scenic wilderness for their own personal private use, and to lock out access by everyone else they can possibly get rid of.

If they were out there being honest and saying that they are just selfish and they want it all for themselves and nobody else, the general public wouldn't buy into it. But, if they pretend that it is to save the wilderness from being destroyed, well everybody is onboard with their deception!

• Like 1

What this suggest to me is that all this environmental BS is just a smoke screen. All these folks really want is all the best most scenic wilderness for their own personal private use, and to lock out access by everyone else they can possibly get rid of.

Yes. There are a few who probably live how they preach but it seems far too many are simply practicing NIMBY'ism without any regard to how they live. Lack of insight is what it boils down to.

I work at coal mines. There was a green subaru with all these "save the planet" stickers on it. 2 guys with beards and pony tails and a lady were taking pictures and shaking there heads,overlooking a strip mine. I stopped and said "excuse me,this is private property-you need to leave".I went out the drive and came back. They left the property,but also left cigarrette butts on the ground. What amazes me,they drove a car powered by gasoline to look at a coal mine in disgust,yet they littered had no respect for other peoples property. I dont care if they want to fight for whatever they believe,but don't use products made from coal (steel,batteries,electric,you name it) then stare at the site it comes from in disgust. I love how people want to save trees-what do you wipe your butt with then?J/k

I build power plants and the same stuff happens. When they can actually live without electricity, maybe we would not be building so many new plants.

This happens all the time in all facets of life. 90% of the time it's not because the person is trying to be hostile, it's because they don't have the full story.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to save the planet, most of the time you just have to sit down and talk to the people and explain that most of our power comes from coal, and that reality gets in the way of the most noble ideas.

I do biofuel research which makes me deal with lots of people with good intentions but complete warped senses of reality. They ask me how I can do this and pollute so much. I ask them how they can justify not buying local.

Can't solve all the problems all the time but you can sometimes enlighten people to reality. Usually all it takes is a good attitude and none of this GREEN VS DIRTBIKER mentality you see all over the place.

I can hike any Sierra Club weenie's ass into the ground![/b]

so how does that work?

youre all intense about hiking and stuff or what? how do you hike competitively? avg km/h?

sounds kinda lame... like that malcolm in the middle episode with the competitive speed walking :worthy:

The sooner you all realize the kooks are NOT sane and don't use COMMON SENSE the better you can deal with them. To beat them you need to be extreme like they are.

-Erik

so how does that work?

youre all intense about hiking and stuff or what? how do you hike competitively? avg km/h?

sounds kinda lame... like that malcolm in the middle episode with the competitive speed walking :worthy:

I hike to stay in shape!

I would prefer to do a combination of trail running and weight training, but my knees can't stand running for long distances. Luckily, I have hills right behind my house (these would be "mountains" back east!) where I can train every day....and I concentrate on doing monster hillclimbs. Plus, I live at the foot of the San Bernardino Mountains, and the southern Sierras are just a couple hours drive....

It's all about ideology.

Facts, or reality do not come into play. Most of these people do these things because it makes them feel good. Better than those ignorant hillbillies that are not enlightened as they are. They will purchase 'carbon credits' to offset their 'carbon footprint' because to them it feels good, and it gives them street cred with their fellow eco-nazis. It doesn't matter if there carbon credit's are really doing anything. CO2 is not a pollutant, it is plant food. I am much more in favor of actually cleaning the air we breath, than trying to eliminate a natural, necessary gas. All the talk of C02 and global warming is frankly quite pathetic.

If these people are so concerned about the environment, why not focus on something that would actually improve the environment? Not something that cannot be controlled.....(any idea how much C02 is emitted from cows farting? or how about a volcano eruption?) Our C02 emissions are insignificant in comparison. Besides, water vapor is the biggest global warming gas in existence. Notice how much warmer it is in the winter when there is cloud cover overnight, it can be the differance between -10 c. and -25 c. And what are we going to do about those damn clouds?

Did I mention that the earth is actually getting cooler, due to less activity from the sun? (shock) :worthy: