Sign in to follow this  

use clutch all the time?

i have a friend i ride with and he has a 03 cr250. i noticed when we are flying wide open he doesnt use his clutch to up shift. i was just wondering if that is ok to do or if its hard on your tranny. also do ppl do that when they down shift as well. i did it a couple time and it defiantly makes trail riding a little easier but i didnt wanna do it very often due to the fact that im afraid of hurting the bike.

good question...i would like to kno about the down shifting part

hey where in iowa are u located?

I kinda live by Mason City...like 20 mins away from I-35 by Clear Lake

sweet i live in dubuque. were do u usually ride? you like trail or mainly mx?

i guess it really dont matter but prolly more MX

nice... an indoor mx track just open up about a week ago in Farley,Ia (about 15 mins west of dubuque on hwy 20) its a pretty sweet track, also has an out door track. should make a trip down if u ever get the chance

hell ya...may have to hit ya up on that...would u join me?

yeah for sure.... i hit it up yesterday. 15 buck all day open up at 6am and runs till midnight well worth the cash. also starting in september they are starting a race series that travel around the upper u.s. i kno a couple ppl from colorado that got signed on with the promoter and they traveling with the series. you should come down on a friday night watch the races and hit the track up on satudays

any big jumps?

the indoor has 2 doubles and a gnarly triple took me a few hours to get the triple down. they are in the process of bulding fmx jumps out side and already have the foam pit put together

i clutch whenever i am not accelerating.

as in when your down shifting or just putting around?

as in when your down shifting or just putting around?

whenever im letting off the gas im engaging the clutch.

i shift up and down on my bike without using the clutch i only use it for pulling off or for getting the revs up, but when shifting without the clutch i close the throttle, no problems so far and its an 05

i shift up and down on my bike without using the clutch i only use it for pulling off or for getting the revs up, but when shifting without the clutch i close the throttle, no problems so far and its an 05

This ^

I will only use the clutch when starting from a complete stop otherwise its usually never touched. Whenever I shift I let off the gas and shift whether its up or down.

I've been doing this on my 94 CR250 for over 6 years and I just recently inspected the gears, they are flawless.

the cr series 'close ratio' bikes are designed to shift without use of the clutch.

u dont have to use the clutch if u keep it in the powerband but for down shifting i would but thats more of a habbit than anything