Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Fuel economy? I ran out of gas today.2003 Dr650

I ran out with 106 miles on the odometer. I just bought this bike and it is my first tankful of gas. I thought these dr650 were getting between 45-55 mpg depending on driving conditions. I haven't even hammered on this bike yet. It has 1100 miles on it now. This seems a little low on the mpg's or is it normal?

It sounds a little low. I can go further than that before I hit reserve. Is the bike stock?

That sounds low to me....

I have a 2004 DR650 (2,800 miles), and it constantly averages 49 to 50 miles per gallon.

I don't 'hammer' the bike, and probably 80% of it's mileage is cruising secondary roads at 55 to 65 MPH, and 20% riding on hard packed dirt/gravel roads.

2004-dr650-mra-05.jpg

You had to switch to reserve and drained it in 106 miles? That's pretty unusual, is there a chance the choke was partially on? I did that once with my XT350, running down the highway in boondock land with what should have been plenty of gas and it just bogged down and stopped. I couldn't believe the gas was that low that I had to switch to reserve until I noticed I forgot to shut off the choke completely. :worthy:

I've only had my '03 for a week, and I've run 3 tanks of gas so far... each time I managed barely 100 miles before flipping to reserve. Not much range if you ask me.

I'm already thinking about an aftermarket tank.

The bike is stock and the choke was off, I'm not really disappointed I just expected a little better. But the bike is fun as hell to drive, I can see myself hanging on to this one for quite some time. I switched to reserve at 106 miles to clarify. But I stopped to fill up a mile later, I don't like running on reserve if I can help it. Alot of crud ends up in the bottom of the tank, at least on my older 81 enduro it makes me nervous.

That does seem low ?

I did a bunch of the mods to mine and i like to get on it a bit and get more than that. Approx 45-50 mpg for me too.

I just couldn't live with the stock tank no matter how sexy it was. I bought the Aqualine Safari and now only have to fill up when I change tires. :worthy:

Alot depends on how full you consider the tank when you fill it up. I have a stock 03 and have to go to reserve between 115-125 which is 50-52 mpg. I weigh 300lb and carry 20lb pack.

try this and see what you get:

change the oil & put in a new filter

clean the air filter

adjust the valves

drop in a new spark plug

air up the tires to correct air pressure for your tires and weight

...also, what kind of tires are you riding on???

knobby or dirt oriented tires get well less the mileage than a good rolling dual/p or even a street oriented tire....also, believe what you will, but those expensive metzler or michelin d/p tires get better mpg than cheaper shinko or kenda or whatever.........and keep them aired up every week ...:banana:...we all do that, right???

put the bike on a stand:

make sure front & rear wheels are spinning freely

...the rear will have a slight drag due to the chain

try the brakes, then spin them again & check that the quickly spin freely

grab the wheels & check for freeplay by wiggling them on the axle as you check for the wheel bearing play

go out & fill the fuel tank....ALL THE WAY up to the top, let it sit for 20-30 seconds, then top off again as the fuel might settle....USE REGULAR

reset your odometer & go out for a ride, try a fairly open riding area (not much start & stopping) so you can see what your mileage might be on an easy highway ride

I suggest that you do an out & back to your original fuel up place so you can experience the terrain in both directions, also, make it a dry (no rain) road and not windy as wet roads, hills, and wind all decrease mpg

let us know how you did after a good tuneup & ride:thumbsup:

hope this helps!!

:worthy:

If the bike truly is in stock form I'd guess it is tire pressure. An 03' with 1100 miles? I guess it is stock if it has be "neglected" for so long. I agree with the full tune up, as it probably needs it after sitting for so long. I would try putting about 25 psi in the tires and lube the chain if it is dry and see if it changes. When my bike was stock (08) I think I got something like 120- 130 miles before reserve.

The guy I bought it from was the original owner, He said the 500 mile service was done at the dealer. It had 996 miles when I bought it. I did lube the chain before riding it and filled up the tires to correct pressure. I'm not to concerned anymore, It seems close to some of the other posts.

Check the Main Jet. Stock is 140. Sounds like someone may have changed it already if you're getting that mileage. If it doesn't run so hot your leg burns off regardless of clothing it's probably been changed. When I bought my dr650 it had the 140 main jet and literally ran so hot the pipe would glow at night and I couldn't believe it wasn't seizing up. I had never seen a stock bike run so hot, unbelievable they would seel it like this. Did the Air Box cutout on the top and put a 155 main jet(152.5 might be perfect) and it runs cool and has what feels like twice the power. I goto reserve at about 100-105 miles on a completely topped off tank. Also when you do the main jet you can use an angled 90 degree screwdriver to get the screws out, and then you might want to replace them with Allen Head bolts which makes it much easier in the future. It's fine line too getting the air/fuel mixture right because it won't run good at all if it's not. Hope this helps.

Lots of mileage posts for the DR. Do a search.

Anyway, your MPG is not completely out for a bike that is not totally broken in. After break in things loosen up and the mileage gets better.

Even so, with the stock configuration, if you're hard on the throttle don't expect more than 115 miles out of a tank.

Guys claim 50 to 60 mpg on here, but the best I ever saw in complete stock trim was 43 mpg. I'm pretty hard on the throttle on road, and off, so I think that accounts for the low mpg. Didn't really know I twisted so hard till I read the fuel economy posts?

In addition to my off-road stuff I use my DR as a commuter bike. It's just that I go full stop from stoplight to stoplight.

Guess I'm a bit of a hooligan, but full throttle, things happening quickly, makes me tick.

You want better range? Either back off the throttle, or get a bigger tank.

Enjoy.

Jason

JP4 your mileage and riding style sounds exactly like mine. I didn't buy the big DR to be a fuel miser. I bought it to have fun on. As stated in a previous post the fuel mileage should increase a little more once the bike is completely broken in. My mileage increased about 10% after I had about 2500 miles on it. I've always taken the 55-60 mpg figures with a grain of salt and figured those guys weren't having much fun on their bikes to achieve that kind of mileage. Sounds a little "OCD" to me, but again I ride my DR for enjoyment not for fuel economy.

I get 49-50 mpg yet have to switch to reserve @120 miles. I filled it up on the flat the last time I did that with 2.4 gallons. Each fill goes to the bottom of the neck. Could you have been short on topping it off?

I ride my DR for enjoyment not for fuel economy.
Same here.... but I would think that I should get more than 35 mpg from my DR350.... especially since there's usually only one wheel on the ground most of the time :worthy::banana:

I ride just like JP4 and some of the others, sounds like that is my issue. I mostly commute but it is fun to crank this thing up. Sounds like problem solved.

Stock bike i'm also getting a 100 miles before reserve and I ride "spirited" :worthy:

JP4 your mileage and riding style sounds exactly like mine. I didn't buy the big DR to be a fuel miser. I bought it to have fun on. As stated in a previous post the fuel mileage should increase a little more once the bike is completely broken in. My mileage increased about 10% after I had about 2500 miles on it. I've always taken the 55-60 mpg figures with a grain of salt and figured those guys weren't having much fun on their bikes to achieve that kind of mileage. Sounds a little "OCD" to me, but again I ride my DR for enjoyment not for fuel economy.
I ride just like JP4 and some of the others, sounds like that is my issue. I mostly commute but it is fun to crank this thing up. Sounds like problem solved.

And I thought I was alone in my riding style! Nice to hear that there's other hooligans out there.

DonWann,and Powerslave73. I'm sure that other guys have fun with the way they ride. Apparantly it just doesn't appeal to our sensiblities. To each his own I suppose.

I'm with DonWann when it comes to the DR as a commuter. I don't ride it to work because I like getting rained on and road grime in the face. I have a nice steel and glass ride (p/u truck). I ride the DR as a commuter for pure fun. Hence, I ride with enthusiasm.

Powerslave73. Drop on an IMS tank (see my garage for pics), and forget about range issues. Or, stay close to gas stations!

Happy road/trails.

Jason