Sign in to follow this  

is my bike seized? please help

i have a kawi 250 2 stroke . i wiped out while riding. i tried to kick er over and kickstarted will not move. tried bomb starting it and wont fire.

im worried its seized . can anyone give me some advice.

thanx:

Sounds seized to me....bummer.Hopefully only the piston/ring and not the crank.Good luck.

i run 40 to 1 ratio fuel to oil. the bike runs great. problems started after wipe out. what makes u think its seized?

You say it doesn't fire on a bump start..... but does it turn over? or just drag the tire?

If you can't push down the kickstarter that is a very clear indication that you have an internal issue.Either it's your piston or your crank.I hope it's not the latter.Either way it's not the end of the world.Start by taking off the cylinder to see if the piston is seized.If you take the cylinder off and the crank will not rotate that means a bad rod bearing.Take your time and eliminate the easy stuff first.Get a service manual as well....great tool to have.Wish I could look at it myself for you but as you see I am in California.Good luck badburn.

thanx guys im going to get it today. still at my brothers camp ground.i will get post back with more details

I was with them this weekend... the rider started the bike cold, and was instantly redlining it wheeling up and down the road. then we went for a 20 minute ride, the bike ran fine the whole time. we shut it off several times and it started up fine each time. (so no cold seize?)

he then went to wheelie through a mud puddle, hit a hidden rock, bounced off the bike, (bike was running fine at this exact point still) throttle lock and in the super man position redlining the bike for 2 seconds max, layed the bike down and slid 10 feet. got back up to start the bike after about 5 minutes. and even with 200+ lbs on the kickstart it wouldnt even budge.

I think they were eventually able to kinda barely break it lose. the kickstart will now only move 2-3 inches :bonkhead:

Sounds like the piston to me...

Before it went did you happen to hear any weird sounds from the motor? Such as any piston slap? As soon as you pull the cylinder off you will be able to tell what happened. Hopefully your cylinder doesnt need to be replaced along with the crank. Even though it sounds pretty bad at the moment it will still be better than rebuilding a 4 stroke...

what's even more amazing, is that when this type of thing happens, people still try and force the kickstart to move or turn the engine over.. If a bike is locked up, your not going to do anything but cause more damage by trying to force anything... :thumbsup:

Sounds like the piston to me...

Before it went did you happen to hear any weird sounds from the motor? Such as any piston slap? As soon as you pull the cylinder off you will be able to tell what happened. Hopefully your cylinder doesnt need to be replaced along with the crank. Even though it sounds pretty bad at the moment it will still be better than rebuilding a 4 stroke...

im not 100% sure, I missed the accident by 2 seconds.

what's even more amazing, is that when this type of thing happens, people still try and force the kickstart to move or turn the engine over.. If a bike is locked up, your not going to do anything but cause more damage by trying to force anything... :thumbsup:

yes I know, I told them they shouldnt move it.. but they insisted on trying. hopefully its not too serious. well find out tonight or tomorrow :worthy:

Ha... Man that sucks. At least 2T's are a breeze to change the top ends on. Worst part is buying the parts.

• Like 1

took the engine apart today.

from what I heard, the piston skirt is pretty badly damaged, the cylinder has scratches in it. and there was metal bits in the bottom end, crank is fine though. I dont know all the details yet.

question though, can the stock cylinder on a 2001 kx250 be bored or does it need a new sleeve?

took the engine apart today.

from what I heard, the piston skirt is pretty badly damaged, the cylinder has scratches in it. and there was metal bits in the bottom end, crank is fine though. I dont know all the details yet.

question though, can the stock cylinder on a 2001 kx250 be bored or does it need a new sleeve?

It can be bored if the damage isn't to bad. Make sure you go to a reputable mech.

It can be bored if the damage isn't to bad. Make sure you go to a reputable mech.

Good advice.

it can be bored right now? it doesnt need a new sleeve like my crf 450 would? why exactly is that?

Good advice.

Thats actually horrible advice. The cylinder is plated therefore you cannot have it overbored. You can "hone" it to de-glaze the cylinder but not bore. You can either have it replated or have a sleeve put in it.

and there was metal bits in the bottom end, crank is fine though.

Uh, that makes no sense. So the guy split the case open and found metal bits in the bottom end? That would indicate that the bottom and top end both need to rebuilt. Unless you're just wording this wrong. But you can't see into the bottom end. You have to split the case to find out.

it can be bored right now? it doesn't need a new sleeve like my crf 450 would? why exactly is that?

It all depends on the damage to the cylinder. My last CR250 had to have a new cylinder ''welded'' but my CRF450r was able to be bored.

I like replace my piston & rings once a year in my 2smokers & 4strokes whether they need it or not, rather be safe then stranded :thumbs up:

Thats actually horrible advice. The cylinder is plated therefore you cannot have it overbored. You can "hone" it to de-glaze the cylinder but not bore. You can either have it replated or have a sleeve put in it.

I have had my cylinders bored, replated & honed. There is a reason that they make different sized pistons for cylinders. Also being that we cannot see the damage is why we suggest going to a reputable Mech. that will do it correctly and not screw him.

Uh, that makes no sense. So the guy split the case open and found metal bits in the bottom end? That would indicate that the bottom and top end both need to rebuilt. Unless you're just wording this wrong. But you can't see into the bottom end. You have to split the case to find out.

I agree, if he splitt the cases you just as well replace bearings and seals