Sign in to follow this  

Keihin FCR 39

Alright guys I can get one off a drz for my 09 drz sm for $280 Canadian including the cables but not the boot locally, this seems to be a good deal however the guy who is selling it rides a 08 drz sm and he said he just doesn't want to mess around with the carb again after doing his 3x3 and rejet. I didn't inform him of the gains I just went about the conversation but he sounded like he was aware of the swap and just didn't want to do it. Now do I trust what he says and perhaps he's just not all that mechanically inclined or is he lieing and there is something wrong with it. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow is there things I can look at to make sure all is well and I'm not getting taken. I will look and see if he looks like a bike guy (tools, other toys etc,) or maybe this is his first bike and he's telling the truth. Is there some ways I can make sure I'm looking at a solid buy?

or should I just wait and get the Mx version of FCR, what are the differences between the two?

make sure its the right carb(either a fcr off of a drze,yz/wr400/426 98-02.some ktm fcrs will work as well)make sure it has a removable belmouth(piece on the back of the carb that slides in the airboot)for the seller not wanting to swap carbs because he tired of rejeting sounds fishy.

where is the model number or serial number and where can i find it? and how can I tell which is which?

I call them Generation 1, 2 & 3

Gen 1 Kehein calls and FCR and that is what the carb in the pic is. On Jap bikes I beleive the last year was 2001, KTM got stuck with them thru 2002

Gen II came next, the obviouse difference is the accelrator pump linkage got hidden, Jap bakes had that in 2002, KTM had it in 03. This BTW is my favorite!

Also I beleive at that point Kehien was leaving it up to the manufactoror to make the rear air bell, the bell as show in the pic is the same on Gen I & Gen II

Gen III came about 05 for Jap products, 06 for KTM. It appears to me that Kehein whanted to simplify life and incorporated the rear air bell so all are the same after that? Some minor issues have been updated, the last year or so the AC pump linkage has gone inside a metal cover with a water proof seal is one change I have noted.

Pros & cons, the big one is in the 1998 (start of this carb??) thru about 2001? they had rubber pieces inside that are NOT happy with the alchol in modern gas. There is a very criticle piece I call the center seal that rots with modern gas. If the center seal has failed when you twist and the accelerator pump is suposed to squirt what you get is gas bypassing this seal and squirting into thee air passage that feeds the highspeed air sipon circut. I can decide if that makes it rich or lean at that moment but they do not run right! A while back I paid $800 for all of the center seals Kehein had in stock. That was 15 pieces and I am nearly out of those. So what is a used carb worth? Gen 1 abt $5, Gen II abt $150, Fresh and tuned to perfection, pricless

where is the model number or serial number and where can i find it? and how can I tell which is which?

This sounds very familiar to me!! I just saw his add for that carb on Kijiji yesterday and bought it for $250 but am now trying to identify what it is really off of. I should have done my research :thumbsup:

The carb has the number 5UL1 00QH01 stamped on it....when I google it is comes up with a Yamaha reference. He says the guy he bought it off had it installed on a drz400s in California, but I am scared if that is not true that the cables it came with will not work. It came with 178main Jet and a 40 pilot? I am still filtering through all of Burned's threads to figure out what to do!!

I am scared I just bought a $250 dollar paper weight!!

So now that I actully sit and look at this carb I know it is not off a DRZ400e model as it has a hot start. Where do I measure to see what size of fcr it is?

Here are some photo's any help would be appreciated.

14-08-09_1707.jpg

14-08-09_1704.jpg

14-08-09_1705.jpg

14-08-09_1706.jpg

14-08-09_1708.jpg

14-08-09_1713.jpg

14-08-09_1714.jpg

14-08-09_1715.jpg

Like I said before the code stamped on the carb itself is 5UL1 00QH01

are you from Saskatoon too? I figured it wasn't going to be the right one so I didn't bother to go look at it. The guys story was also to fishy. So i figured I would just get the TT one in the spring time.

Well I tried to take it back to the guy last night saying it was the wrong carb but of course he had spent the money already!! Looks like I have a paper weight!

Is there any point even trying to put it on the DRZ?? Or do I quit while I am ahead and order the TT package ;o)