DID 520 VT Chain Master link question

I have the same chain on my bike. You will need a chain rivet tool to put the master link on. I took mine to my dealer and they put the master link on for $10. The tool is $90 from Rocky Mtn. By the way, the chain is excellent and worth every penny. I'm on my second season of offroad riding and it is holding up well.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?&navType=type&webTypeId=35&navTitle=Drive&webCatId=9&prodFamilyId=17143

DID makes a press-fit rivet chain tool, the KM500 & the KM501E for press fitting and riveting the master link for some of their chains. I run a DID ERV3 linkless chain on my MX bike, and the tool is required. Other companies make press-fit rivet chain tools, and they should work as well. They're generally not an inexpensive tool. The installation procedure is easy. Good luck!

Guys, unless you feel more comfortable using the specialty tools hence paying for them, all you need is a phillips head screwdriver and something to brace the chain (i.e. sledge hammer). Just put something "heavy and hard" (don't kid yourself ? ) behind the master link so that when you tap on the rivet side it will be solid to prevent the link from moving too much. Use the screwdriver and tap on the rivets to leave a cross indention and then turn the driver slightly to create a star pattern. This will essentially do the same thing as the special (expensive) tool. Sorry if this doesn't make sense but $90 is ridiculous and you may not have one at the time you bring your sweet new chain home and never dealt with the rivet style link. Oh, make sure you compress the face on the link far enough before you tap or compress the rivets. The spacing between the two sides of the master should be the same as the other links in the chain.

Yes but you can't rivet with that setup... without being creative. I removed the pin and found a ball from a bearing (about 4mm ball) then took an 1/8" piece of flat steel and drilled into it 2 dimples just large enough to let the peened side of the pins on the other side of the master link drop into. (if you don't use this you will just simply push the pins thru) Then just use the ball to flare the rivet side of the master link pins. Like I said necessity is the mother of all inventions.