Waypoint for Blowhole in San Quintin?

Have ridden to the Old Mill 4 times now...looking for some new things to check out on our ride. After we top off in Santa Thomas and get breakfast we head to the coast (via dirt) to Erendira..top off again...head past shipwreck to Pemex Camalu...then back down to the beach to Don n' Eddie's.

Is there a blow hole to checkout on my way or any things I am missing?

Have ridden to the Old Mill 4 times now...looking for some new things to check out on our ride. After we top off in Santa Thomas and get breakfast we head to the coast (via dirt) to Erendira..top off again...head past shipwreck to Pemex Camalu...then back down to the beach to Don n' Eddie's.

Is there a blow hole to checkout on my way or any things I am missing?

There's one South of SQ... large hole (not blow hole persay)... or are ya thinkin' of something else? Like, a "blow hole". ?

The blowhole south of Erendira can blow a good 25 ft spray if the tide is right.

I made the mistake of parking my Montero to close one time, it took 3 days to dry out and the inside was covered with sand.

We were throwing chunks of seaweed in and watching them fly. Pretty cool.

If you look around while there you may see the seal carcass with a fractured skull?

Here's the blowhole that BBM and others mention, south of Erendira. It's actually more impressive than it seems in the picture, but the tide has to be just right. As stated, it's about 100-150 yards south of a rocky gully that makes up something of a right-hand turn in the main road.

Blowhole.jpg

I don't know about this single-track...is this a joke? Since this road is so heavily traveled these days?

Also, if you want to spice up this Santo Tomas-to-San Quintin route, ride the rocky beaches (w/ the baseball size rocks) as much as possible. Also, don't go from the Santo Tomas gas station straight out to the coast. Go the 'longer' route from the freeway (prior to getting to Santo Tomas) out to the lighthouse and then head south. That can add 40 or more miles to the day.

I understand if this doesn't make much sense. I can probably dig up a .gpx if needed.

That blowhole is goofy....

Sometimes the surf is huge and it doesn't blow.

Other times the surf is small and it blows like crazy (DangerDave - insert joke here).

Tide is key.

Someplace, maybe an offroad video, I can't recall, but I've seen that thing on video shoot so crazy strong these guys threw a car tire in it and it shot way the heck high up! Good fun.

Here's a Google Earth image which pretty plainly shows the gully and where I remember the blowhole to be located. The gully is about six miles south of Erendira and easy to find on Google Earth.

Blowhole-1.jpg

Now, will someone IM me regarding this single-track? Just tell me if it's north or south of the gully and I'll find it easy enough.

Here's a Google Earth image which pretty plainly shows the gully and where I remember the blowhole to be located. The gully is about six miles south of Erendira and easy to find on Google Earth.

Blowhole-1.jpg

Now, will someone IM me regarding this single-track? Just tell me if it's north or south of the gully and I'll find it easy enough.

The single track won't show up on GE because the trail is too new!

Too funny!

This is not the single track I was busting Justin about but it is a great one!

On the 2008 Rip to the Tip my buddy Dave clipped his bars and fell into the ocean....he landed on a big rock about 6 feet down and luckily he wasn't hurt. He ended up in the water with the tide push happening at the same time. It took us about an hour to get his bike out and get going.

The little bike tow straps many of us had were a joke...now when we ride we have a tow strap the weaves for locking and is strong enough to lift bikes up a real cliff.

On the 2009 Baja Beach Bash we passed this section and the sand was over the rocks and it looked quite a bit less threatening, still gnarly though.

For some reason, this is what came to mind when I read about a "sick single track".

Juan, I'm actually surprised you got the Exxon Valdez through that little path. Wait, I just saw you wheelie that thing up a log... nevermind :ride: