2Ply and Frostbite the ride.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great video clips! Thanks for taking the time to take and post for us to enjoy!

It is helpful to watch different levels of riders approach the same obstacle and study the differences. Its also great to watch over time and see how much Glynn has been learning- his attention to fundamentals and style is paying off big and you can see huge improvement over the early videos.

And Frostbite will surely return home as the best trials rider in Nunavut.

Way to go Frostbite!

Glad you enjoyed it! ?

And you can be sure that with this new level of "expert training"..wink wink.. There will be no one in the Nunavut Trials Club that can touch him... ? because there IS no one in the club except Frostbite. :D

But I'm hoping that the people who were impressed with his riding before, will be BLOWN AWAY with his riding soon! :worthy:

And as a side benefit, I'm anxious to see if his Yamaha Riding will see similar improvements. Most people have found that once they learn a move in Trials, they can go back and use at least some of it on their other bikes and do things they never thought possible.

Hello. Man, you guys must have some fun serious fun. I've got a couple questions. I'm interested in getting into trials riding, but I honestly have no clue where to start. I don't even have a bike yet. I like GasGas, but I'm just wondering what anyone would recommend for me to do to get started out. I live in the beautiful Bitterroot Valley, with "perfect" (what I would call perfect terrain for a beginner trials rider even with my lack of experience) trials terrain just 8 minutes to the east of me:ride: .

I would consider myself an intermediate off-road rider on my heavy (like 280 lb) Super Sherpa, and just toped off my 500th mile on it in just over 4-weeks, so I ride a lot. But I can't help just drool over the fallen massive fallen logs, huge rocks and incredibly eroded logging roads that I wouldn't even think of going over on my Super Sherpa, yet am strangely attracted to them ? .

So needless to say, I have a severe case of lack-of-mobility-on-my-Super-Sherpa-and-need-some-sort-of-a-trials-bike-itis. So 2ply, I need your expertise, any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hello. Man, you guys must have some fun serious fun. I've got a couple questions. I'm interested in getting into trials riding, but I honestly have no clue where to start. I don't even have a bike yet. I like GasGas, but I'm just wondering what anyone would recommend for me to do to get started out. I live in the beautiful Bitterroot Valley, with "perfect" (what I would call perfect terrain for a beginner trials rider even with my lack of experience) trials terrain just 8 minutes to the east of me:ride: .

I would consider myself an intermediate off-road rider on my heavy (like 280 lb) Super Sherpa, and just toped off my 500th mile on it in just over 4-weeks, so I ride a lot. But I can't help just drool over the fallen massive fallen logs, huge rocks and incredibly eroded logging roads that I wouldn't even think of going over on my Super Sherpa, yet am strangely attracted to them ? .

So needless to say, I have a severe case of lack-of-mobility-on-my-Super-Sherpa-and-need-some-sort-of-a-trials-bike-itis. So 2ply, I need your expertise, any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Beginner trials bikes are pretty much any bike made after 2000 except for the pro models.

Hi Super Sherpa, I'm a little busy now, but I see that you are about an hour or so away from a small Trials Group in Spokane, WA. On their web page is some email address of some of the officers. A really good plan would be to contact any one of them for some local information and when they are holding the next event and where. These people should have the best information possible for your area: where to get bikes, where to try out a bike or two and who in your area could be a possible riding partner and contact... Check here first and see what you can learn and then we can pick up from there..

http://inlandnorthwesttrialsassociation.sports.officelive.com/default.aspx

?

2Ply your trials class must have worn out Mr. Frosty. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say about the new found skills that he has. I'm sure he has used them to go over rocks up his way. While getting more traction on rocks, I still use the Double Blip. After seeing what is under the snow up there, I'm sure alot of the skills carry over. With some of the discriptions of the ways of life up there. It would be funny to see a trials bike with a rifle strapped on the handle bars, and saddle bags full of some kind of booze.

Well, I got an email from him on Tuesday. As i thought, he's been busy.. as the saying goes, he's been "as busy as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest"

And no, he hasn't had a chance to try any new skills back home yet.

I don't think he would mind me sharing his shopping story. He's trying to buy everything he will need over the Winter. Here is some of what he said:

The sealift shopping was intense. I rented a U-Haul truck and would pull into a store parking lot, fill a cart, roll it out to the truck, unload it into the box, lock it up, and then roll the cart back into the store for another load. This went on for a few days, and I got plenty of odd looks from cashiers because of the contents of the cart and the number of trips.

The heat didn't make things easy. It was in the mid 30's the entire time, and the aluminum box on the truck was like an oven. I bought large boxes and packed all of my purchases into them to make things more manageable for the shipping company, and safer for me, since they couldn't see what was in them, and maybe the workers there would not be tempted to borrow something. I was doing all of the repacking in the back of the truck, and at least 2ce a day I'd have to head for the hotel to take a shower and change. I was sweating worse than we were during our riding, and I couldn't go back in the stores looking like that, so it slowed down my progress a bit. I bought so much so fast, I'll need the receipts to confirm that everything I bought was actually shipped. I return to Iqaluit on September 8, and my crates should arrive a few days later, which will work out well.

On my last day of shopping, I sealed up the last 2 boxes, drove an hour to the shipper, dropped everything off, back to drop off the truck, took a taxi from UHaul straight to the airport, and just made the flight. My brother and his wife picked me up at the airport and I'm spending a few days here before heading off to the cabin on the beach.

Keep in mind that "mid 30s" is about 95 degrees!!!

My riding might suffer too for a few weeks. Too much dust east of the mountains, but the big interruption is coming from trying to finish fixing my Van and then an annual VW Buses reunion in NE Oregon the weekend after Labor day.

I have found a replacement pop-top, but it's in San Francisco. It's the only one I could find that was in good shape, but the owner has not decided if he can part with it yet. He will tell me Sunday. IF the answer is yes, then next Friday early, I'm driving to San Francisco with an empty motorcycle trailer. I'll help him gather the top and the hardware which is stored in 3 different places. The sad part is this gentleman has throat cancer and the top was for his Syncro Project which he is faced with abandoning but is unable to do any more work, so I don't feel comfortable sending a moving company to hassle him with finding and packing it all up.

If I get it, I'll be driving the 14 hours back home on Sunday, drop the van and top off at the body shop on August 31 and have them try to get it done by Sept 9 so that I can drive it and my 87 Syncro to Boise, Idaho for a double pop-top canvas install for both vans Friday the 11th and then back to Oregon that night for a 2 day VW Buses reuinion... WHEW!!

After that, I'm hoping there will have been some rain in the mountains and we'll have a great Fall season.. that's the best riding here anyway.

2Ply, good luck with your project. If I lived closer I would love to go on a road trip to help you out. I have driven to Fla. for bikeweek a couple of times, and riding that far is sometimes ruff. I think riding in your Synco would be fun. I would have to buy a couple of bandana's, and I'd make a tie-dyed shirt. I already have a army coat. I'm sure you have a great route planned out. You have all you electric stuff programed too. I see that you have a time table to stick to, so I guess your going the fastest, most direct. I hope you have fun and it all works out for you. I can't wait to hear about your trip, and see the photos. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm back but still scrambling to get all the loose ends together to complete repairs before Sept 10.... However, If I can find a little time before this coming weekend, I might have a little video present for Frostbite and the gang.. before Frostbite does his little visit to Santa Cruz.. :ride:

A taste below from Friday evening. This was from the "Ride of the Evening" that had all of the guys in the water cheering along with some on the cliff. There were bigger waves, but nothing as tight as this ride:

tube1.jpg

tube2.jpg

tube3.jpg

tube4.jpg

tube5.jpg

tube6.jpg

No, that was by Bruce Brown, the poster you have there was from "The Endless Bummer" by Ruse Clown... I think that's him there on the bucket.

And for a little name dropping, when I was 13, we moved to Seal Beach California and the place we rented was at the foot of 13th street. We rented the back unit of the house where Robert August lived. He's one of the star surfers in that OTHER movie, The Endless Summer. I used to see Robert and his Dad get up at the crack of dawn to go surfing and then use the outside shower in time to go to school. I was in the 8th grade and he was a freshman at Huntington Beach High, so we didn't talk that much.

My classmate and partner in crime at the Seal Beach Intermediate school (I think the name was J.H. McGaugh Intermediate) was later World Surfing Champion, Corky Carroll. I've since lost contact with him, but I think he became the Mayor of Huntington Beach and we traded emails a couple of years ago. When I switched to riding motorcycles, our paths didn't cross as often. Corky was a bad influence on me but that's what made the 8th grade fun... I found a little letter he wrote about some of the 8th grande antics:

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/local/sealbeach/article_1651349.php

However, there was a guy standing next to me at Santa Cruz with a new surf board that had a Robert August decal and that famous shadow image of the board on the head. So I guess Robert is till making boards. It was cool to see the old surfing spot again.

Heck, just for fun, I think I'll rattle Corky's chain again, now that I see his latest email address :ride:

nice,who is that surfer?

No idea... I just stopped to get some footage to tease Frostbite while waiting to pick up the new top for the Van. That was one of my favorite spots to surf. Called Steamer Lane. Very near the lighthouse.

Frostbite said he'll be there over the Labor Day weekend to see if he can learn to surf... :ride: It's a great place, but not really friendly to new surfers, but hats off to him for not being afraid to look like a dork.. After all, everyone starts out looking really stupid and the waves don't wait for you just because you are new. Plus, not a lot of patience among the locals if you get in their way... oh well.

No idea... I just stopped to get some footage to tease Frostbite while waiting to pick up the new top for the Van. That was one of my favorite spots to surf. Called Steamer Lane. Very near the lighthouse.

Frostbite said he'll be there over the Labor Day weekend to see if he can learn to surf... :ride: It's a great place, but not really friendly to new surfers, but hats off to him for not being afraid to look like a dork.. After all, everyone starts out looking really stupid and the waves don't wait for you just because you are new. Plus, not a lot of patience among the locals if you get in their way... oh well.

Yah - the surfers are a clicky bunch and dont like it when newbies invade "there" part of the ocean.

Good break off that point though.

Cool story 2ply - why do I get the feeling that it was durring this time you formed a lifelong connection with the VW mini bus....

Did you surf back then?

Yep, started when I was 13 and gave it up when I started riding Trials bikes at 28. And yes, people kept saying I had a Hippie bus, but Surfers were using them long before the Hippies. Not that we didn't party with them.. But.. :ride:

I was surfing and camping at a little known Northern California surf spot in 1964 when an old VW bus came down the dirt road and out popped two surfers (from Santa Cruz of all places) with their boards all neatly tucked up against the ceiling inside and all of their camping gear neatly stashed away. That did it, I needed to sell my VW Beetle and "get me one of them there "behicles" by golly!"

me too 13.miss it very much!

Surfing? Yes, it was a great feeling, but after awhile, over-crowding and long waits for a good swell without bad winds led to a lot of idle time and you know where THAT leads.. :ride:

So I figured riding the mountains on a dirt bike had to be more productive, less people (if you rode a Trials Bike) and the mountains were pretty much going to be there every week and the wind was not going to make them all choppy and mushy.

Plus, it really helped to cut down my drug expenses now that I could stay busy. ??