Sign in to follow this  

Chevy Silverado 5.3L Question

My father has an '09 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with the 5.3L engine. The first oil change was done at 500 miles and now at 2000 miles, it seems to have burned about an 1/8 of a quart of since the change. The oil is also almost black.

Wondering if this the norm during it's break in period or there could be an issue?

The manuals make no mention of this during break in.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I wouldn't be worried about it.

Oil turns dark pretty quick and the 1/8 quart that you are low could be a little burn off from the rings setting. Keep an eye on the next few oil changes but I bet you'll be fine.

Oil turns dark in hours in pretty much any engine, so thats normal...

1/8 quart in a brand new engine is pretty insignificant too... if it gets worse or keeps doing it after 10,000 miles or so you might have something to be concerned about, but not this early and this little.

Don't mean to hijack this thread however on the subject of oil changes...I heard on the radio this morning that changing oil every 5000 is actually better (than more frequently) DUE TO the additives now being put in todays oils. It actually affects the life span of the Cad-converters...we know how expensive they are!

GM considers 1 qt in 3000 miles normal oil consumption. I doubt there is are any problems..

+1 they wont do anything at chevy for 1/8th of a quart in 2000 kms . its normal .

i wouldnt worry about it. :thumbsup: 5.3l is a great motor. i have an 01 with 153k on it. runs great, no smoke.

• Like 1

Don't mean to hijack this thread however on the subject of oil changes...I heard on the radio this morning that changing oil every 5000 is actually better (than more frequently) DUE TO the additives now being put in todays oils. It actually affects the life span of the Cad-converters...we know how expensive they are!

How would oil affect a converter?? The only way oil should be getting into the converter is if the engine was burning it.. In that case you probably have more to worry about than the lifespan on the converter.. I would like to hear an explanation..

i wouldnt worry about it. :thumbsup: 5.3l is a great motor. i have an 01 with 153k on it. runs great, no smoke.

Mines has 296,xxx on it and it runs like new...it really does! When you gun it scoots right along like it did when it was new and it uses no oil. The trans is the original one also.

Mines has 296,xxx on it and it runs like new...it really does! When you gun it scoots right along like it did when it was new and it uses no oil. The trans is the original one also.

damn thats a lot of driving!! have you had to change things like the coil-paks or timing belt? im just curious because im trying to keep mine running strong and figure out what might need to be replaced down the line. i cant believe your tranny is still going, thats awesome!:thumbsup:

damn thats a lot of driving!! have you had to change things like the coil-paks or timing belt? im just curious because im trying to keep mine running strong and figure out what might need to be replaced down the line. i cant believe your tranny is still going, thats awesome!:thumbsup:

The only things I've done were a fuel pump at about 200K and an alternator at about 275K. That's it though!

Yea I can't believe the tranny has made it this long either!

My father has an '09 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with the 5.3L engine. The first oil change was done at 500 miles and now at 2000 miles, it seems to have burned about an 1/8 of a quart of since the change. The oil is also almost black.

Wondering if this the norm during it's break in period or there could be an issue?

That amount of oil sounds miniscule. But I recommend you make sure you don't baby it too much on break in. You don't want to be driving around in 4 cyl mode all the time and not have those rings seat. I'm not advocating beating on your truck, but make her bark a little, get those rings to seat.

That engine holds 6 qts. An 1/8th of a quart is insignificant. Heck there are some riders with honda CRFs that burn that much in three rides :worthy::ride::thumbsup:

After about 4000 miles oil consumption drops to zero or at least thats been my experience w/ my parent's '07 5.3 w/ afm. I've got it on a 6000 mile drain interval with pennsoil platinum and all is good. Mostly freeway miles is probably helping that. With that said I wish I could run rotella synth in it but according to the manual anything heavier than a 5w-30 with the AFM is a big no no.

What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

Yea I can't believe the tranny has made it this long either!

You must drive like a grandmother :thumbsup: The 4L60e's aren't known for long life behind an early LS series engine with a driver thats "enthusiastic" with the loud pedal. Thats why all the more recent ones with the electronic throttle control have such an invasive "torque management" program...to preserve the trasnsmission.

The 4l65E in my 04 Avalanche with the 5.3 only lasted 103,000 miles :thumbsup:

I probably towed too much over it's weight limit too often especially without an external tranny cooler.

Replaced it with a beefed up transmission with a big B&M cooler with an thermostatically controlled fan.

The 4l65E in my 04 Avalanche with the 5.3 only lasted 103,000 miles :thumbsup:

I probably towed too much over it's weight limit too often especially without an external tranny cooler.

Replaced it with a beefed up transmission with a big B&M cooler with an thermostatically controlled fan.

How much weight are you towing with it? I added an external B&M Cooler last year when I picked up my 18ft toy hauler (6K). Changed the filter and most of the fluid a couple months ago with 75K on the clock (2003) and the fluid was still looking good. Sucks that auto transmissions on the 1500 series trucks seem to be weak for the most part in all brands.

6,000-8,000 pounds up in the mountains. The fluid was clean and fairly fresh. I have a lift in my garage so I had recently changed the trans fluid (5-6 quarts of it) and the filter. The transmission wasn't slipping at all before it went, it just went *bang* one day on me.

You must drive like a grandmother :worthy: The 4L60e's aren't known for long life behind an early LS series engine with a driver thats "enthusiastic" with the loud pedal. Thats why all the more recent ones with the electronic throttle control have such an invasive "torque management" program...to preserve the trasnsmission.

:thumbsup:

Most of the miles are highway miles so I'm sure that contributes to the trans lasting so long but about 20K of those miles are towing a trailer that weighs at least 6K and sometimes trailers weighing up to 8K. I've just been really lucky with this one.