Sign in to follow this  

carrying gas in plastic soda bottle?

i have read people saying that they carry some gas in plastic empty soda bottles.

seeing how i have a stock tank on my bike i was thinking of doing this until i get a bigger tank.

the question i have is..doesn't the gas melt the plastic?

What you REALY want to use, because it's MUCH more durable is a 1 gallon antifreeze bottle. that is some thick plastic on those. Even BETTER and MORE thick, is buy one of those super bargain 1 gallon oil containers from wal-mart.

Gas doesn't do anything to the plastic and I've done this before but used a gatorade bottle due to the fact that they're a bit heavier plastic. I also wrapped the bottle in a few good layers of duct tape to give it a little more dent and puncture resistance.

I'd make sure to pour it into your tank as soon as it had room so it wasn't sitting in the plastic for a long time.

I Have Done It During A Cc Race Fill Up A Plastic Water Bottle , Making Sure The Bottle Is Completely Dry Of Water And Shoved It Behing My Front Number Plate. 2 Hour Race And It Never Moved Or Leaked ... Found Out Didnt Need The Extra Gas..

I've used water bottles and and gatorade bottles for a while now and I've yet to have a problem. I've never gone down and landed on my back while they were in the Camelbak but I assume they wouldn't hold up to that. I've never seen those MSR bottles that 06crf_er linked but they look perfect. I think I'll probably have to grab a couple as well.

But yeah I know what you mean, I run a stock 2-stroke tank and it definitely doesn't last as long as I wish it would.

I think I was going to save some Gatorade bottles for long rides. My bike is pretty fuel effecient so i can ride all day on one tank, its my buddies CRF250R that guzzels gas like a HumVee...

Use you head, None of us taxpayers want to foot the bill when you fall

on your ass and BBQ yourself.

Spend a few bucks and get the right container.

• Like 1

Check out the platypus containers. Bulletproof, and they roll up and weigh next to nothing after you dump the gas in. 👍:worthy:

thanks for the reply's guys. i was curios to see what everyone else is doing and how it was working out for them

i also like the MSR bottles 06crf_er posted.

i pay taxes too, so if i do go down i will get to see some of my money come back to me and not go to people on welfare and in prison. thanks for the concern though.

I use 1/2 gallon apple juice plastic containers. Think about it, most of your gas cans are almost the same kind of plastic. The gas does not eat them. I have stashed some in the woods before for about a month and they were just fine. Do not expose to direct sunlight however or you will have a gas bomb. No fun if not intentional.

definetly holds up i used to ride an 85 about two years ago and not the best milage out of that and now on a 250 its still not that great but anything i used held up just put it in when you get room in the tank

What you REALY want to use, because it's MUCH more durable is a 1 gallon antifreeze bottle. that is some thick plastic on those. Even BETTER and MORE thick, is buy one of those super bargain 1 gallon oil containers from wal-mart.

I find exactly the opposite. Soda bottles are pressure containers while antifreeze bottles are not. I've seen the antifreeze bottles leak on numerous occasions. Never had a problem with a soda bottle. It's not really the durability of the container as both soda and antifreeze bottles are decent. It's the seal. The antifreeze bottles just do not seal as well in large part because they are not designed to hold pressure.

Now neither is anything but a single use container. The bottles themselves do OK with gasoline. The seals do not. The seals swell or breakdown in the presence of gasoline. Not for long term use.

None of these are really good though. Something rated for fuel like those MSR bottles is much much better. Too bad most of them are too small to be really useful.

I find exactly the opposite. Soda bottles are pressure containers while antifreeze bottles are not. I've seen the antifreeze bottles leak on numerous occasions. Never had a problem with a soda bottle. It's not really the durability of the container as both soda and antifreeze bottles are decent. It's the seal. The antifreeze bottles just do not seal as well in large part because they are not designed to hold pressure.

Now neither is anything but a single use container. The bottles themselves do OK with gasoline. The seals do not. The seals swell or breakdown in the presence of gasoline. Not for long term use.

None of these are really good though. Something rated for fuel like those MSR bottles is much much better. Too bad most of them are too small to be really useful.

Yeah those MSR things look pretty small. I gotta figure something out myself as I want to do a ride and am not real sure I have the range on my two stroke.

You can throw the platypus containers full of gas against your garage wall. Last years without leaking. Won't leak or break. Super cheap. Rolls up and you're not carrying a big metal tank all day.

I carry a 1/2 gallon maier super jug. If you have a cross brace on your handlebars, you can mount it on there. If not, its size and shape make it easy to put in a back pack.

I also think the MSR bottles are a bit small. Here's what I use:

80924_l.jpg

http://www.rei.com/product/402058

Made by Nalgene, the water bottle folks, holds 1/2 gallon, and very compact for that capacity (9.5 x 5.75 x 3.25 inches). Fits easily in my CamelBak Blowfish, and probably any of the larger style packs. If you have a hard on for REI you can get it at other outdoor type stores, their website was just convenient for supplying a link, and gives plenty of details.

That looks like it will work really well. Polyethylene isn't affected much by gasoline. It's what our gas tanks are made of.