Sign in to follow this  

J&E HC Piston and Web Cam

I've been running this combination for most of the summer now and have loved it since. With stock gearing I was pulling the front wheel up almost too much so I did the 520 chain conversion (Sidewinder) and went one tooth up on the front sprocket.

Piston3.jpg

This seems to be the ticket for a super moto setup.

I'm also running the oversized stainless header, FMF Q2 and one of Rob's prepared FCR with a twin air filter.

Mileage went from 55 to around 50 depending on how I ride. not a bad trade-off at all.

Gary

MX rob hows the new stuff on the dr doing have u dyno it yet the last time u

dyno what were some of the # i saw a older shot of your dr with

a fmf can on it do u still have that set up and ever think about cutten it down

along with a big header pipe combo along with your engine mods makes me wounder what it would run like thankx for any info.

Haven't got around to dynoing it yet with the new piston, cam and head work. I sold my Q2 to a forum member quite some time back. No, I never considered making the Q2 even louder by cutting it down. The maintenance free GSXR system has the right sound level for me. :busted:

The maintenance free GSXR system has the right sound level for me. :busted:

+ 1 on that rob, does it mean were just getting old :thumbsup:

Mezo.

Shady Dave do u have any shots of u bike thanks for info

Really, it's not much to look at. Kind of a sleeper.

One that's seen the ground 7 or 8 times.

I stripped off everything that seemed useless like

Handguards, rider pegs and all kinds of crap.

I have a box that weighs 34 lbs. (most of which is the stock pipe).

However since rejoining this forum, I think I am going to start to put things onto the bike like an alloy pan, frame sliders, better handlebars, larger exhaust headers and a better muffler (GSXR).

I make expansion chambers, so I was thinking of trying to make my own header from 0.042" 304 SS.

Start with a couple of U-bends and a piece of straight pipe from Mc Master Carr and weld away.

Anyway, Thanks for the wonderful forum.

Dave

thats great i was just trying to get the best performance out of my bike that i can i ran the gsxr can and for me it just did not pull as hard as the stock fmf can if any body is looking for a gsxr can i have 2 of them i will sell dayton dyno has a motorcycle dyno at a fair price i think i will pick one up then i can find out the real deal by the way old is a state of mind i am 57 kids

thats great i was just trying to get the best performance out of my bike that i can i ran the gsxr can and for me it just did not pull as hard as the stock fmf can if any body is looking for a gsxr can i have 2 of them i will sell dayton dyno has a motorcycle dyno at a fair price i think i will pick one up then i can find out the real deal by the way old is a state of mind i am 57 kids

Wow! Don't spend the money on a dyno just yet... you can just review the charts that have already been posted. :busted:

https://docs.google.com/a/mxrob.com/Doc?docid=0AQWvKsxuKZQbZGp3ZDQ0al8xOTFyaGpncjlmZA&hl=en

Getting old? I've been old for a long time. :busted::thumbsup:

You start getting old when you buy your first Goldwing.

You should be able to click on the link above. :busted:

Me too - getting a login prompt for "MXRob.com" at Googledocs... :thumbsup:

You start getting old when you buy your first Goldwing.

You mean Leadwing :busted:

Im getting the same password & stuff ?

Mezo.

I've run a few tanks of 87 octane fuel though the bike now. I have noticed that it will ping slightly if I'm really thumping it in stop and go traffic. So elevated engine temps in conjunction with high loads and low RPM will produce a bit of pinging with 87 octane fuel. In what I'd call "normal" riding situations where you are not trying to make your DR650 sound like a BSA Goldstar the 87 octane fuel works fine with the HC piston and Cam combination. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I have Dyno time scheduled for next Friday. :busted: The shop is pretty busy but since I won't be doing near the runs I did testing the multiple configurations of FCR's they are going to sneak me in. So I will test only the best performing pipe of the original test, the GSXR pipe, with the 39mm FCR-MX and then I will throw on the same big bore FCR-MX that I originally tested. I'm still convinced the big carb is going to lose more down low than it will ever gain up top, (like it did in the original tests) but we want to know for sure. :banana:

Looking forward to the resaults, what hp figures were you achieving the last time you dyno tested the DR guinea pig.

Are you running the 223 web cam or the new grind profile that Jeff at Pro cycles has come up with that lifts the useable power another 1000 rpm up the rev range giving the DR an even broader power spread.

After a few emails to Jeff enquiring all about the new grind, he has found no loss of bottom end or midrange, so it has all the benefits that the 223 delivers with a bonus enhanced top end.

Just my luck, after buying the 223 and being happy with it, I now have to buy the new grind knowing its a further improvement, AAHHHHH it never ends.

Eagerly waiting your dyno resaults

Looking forward to the resaults, what hp figures were you achieving the last time you dyno tested the DR guinea pig.

Are you running the 223 web cam or the new grind profile that Jeff at Pro cycles has come up with that lifts the useable power another 1000 rpm up the rev range giving the DR an even broader power spread.

After a few emails to Jeff enquiring all about the new grind, he has found no loss of bottom end or midrange, so it has all the benefits that the 223 delivers with a bonus enhanced top end.

Just my luck, after buying the 223 and being happy with it, I now have to buy the new grind knowing its a further improvement, AAHHHHH it never ends.

Eagerly waiting your dyno resaults

Let's see if I figured out the individual image thing on Google docs..... This is the original pipe comparison running the straight adapter 39mm FCR-MX.

File?id=djwd44j_192hk5dxtcc_b

Woo Hoo! :busted: That worked.

Yes, I'm running the 223 grind. It's the torque monster set-up. Jeff's new grind and 725 kit were just gleams in his eye when I bought the HC piston and cam from him. :banana: It's just taken me this long to finally get it installed. Of course now I'm going to have to try one of the new cam grinds. It would be a simple install (unless valve pockets in the J&E piston would need work) and then I could get the bike right back over to the Dyno shop..... and then there is always the 725 kit.... and I know he's working on a big valve head and.... :thumbsup: Yeah, it never ends if you have a weakness for tinkering.