Sign in to follow this  

Just Joined the ranks of DR owners!

As a long time XR and KLR owner I have been looking for a little lighter Dual Purpose bike. I just put a 94 DR350 in my garage today, it is a very cool compromise between the big thumpers and the powerless smaller singles. The bike is in pretty good overall good shape completely stock aside from the exhaust, jetting, and suspension. The bike looks as if it could have come off the showroom floor, everything is intact from the stock tank to the side plates, to all the decals. I got it for $1300 and it has just a little over 7000 miles on it. I was originally looking for another XL, preferably a 350 to 500cc bike, but you would not believe the crap some people are trying to pawn off for top dollar. I looked at an 81 XL 500 for $1200 that was so thrashed, I almost just turned away right then, but out of courtesey I decided to at least hear it run and take it for a test ride. First it would not start, it was a rust bucket, and when it did finally did start, it smoked like a chiminy. I then looked at an 86 XL600 tha was "In excellent Shape", well aside from the varnish in the tank and the $499 back fees owed on it it was complete and in many various stages of upgrades, all done badly and all just thourohly trashed. I passed on both, I got home and found this on CL looked at it and was blown away by how clean and complete it was. And it is electric start, no more kicking for me.:thumbsup:

This is my first Suzuki, but I have heard good things about the DR's, so I tested it out and it ran perfect. Enough power to ride on the HWY, and torquey enough to pull the front wheel off the ground in he first two gears. Just the compromise I have been looking for. Any advice or input from DR owners here would be appreciated, anything I need to look out for, or any quirks that are known with these bikes? I did notice that it is a bit hard to start without throttle, I think a check of the pilot jet may be in order. What is the recommended jetting setup for this bike with a stock carb and the SuperTrapp exhaust? I think it should fire right up without throttle, if jetted correctly, right? At least my other bikes do. Sorry for the long winded post, but I am always stoked when I bring a "new" bike home for my wife to complain about.:worthy:

Welcome. The DR350 is a good all purpose bike. It has enough power to do trails and highway, and a six speed to match almost any riding conditions.

Suspension is the weak point, most will install stiffer fork springs and do an oil change. The rear shock should be serviced (oil change and nitrogen re-charge) and if you can afford it, a re-valve.

Jetting: Stock pilot (37.5) should be fine. Main jet depends on what pipe you have and if the airbox is stock or has been opened up. Stock airbox w/ aftermarket pipe would need a 130-135 main jet. Go up to a 135-140 with an open airbox and aftermarket pipe.

Read through the DR350 posts here and over at Maximum Suzuki to get a good idea what the bike needs and how to fix it. Plenty of good info to keep you busy for a while.

welcome to the DR club. I've got a 650 but the 350s are sweet. I learned to ride on a yamaha xt350. The bike looks cherry, good find! Sometimes I cant believe the crap people try to sell on CL...but as you've shown us...the deals are out there.

Yeah, it a very nice bike and has been well taken of. I just got back from a short Hwy ride and was able to cruise at 65-70 without feeling like I was pushing the limits at all. It obviously revs higher than my bigger bikes, so my question is will it handle 65-70 at an extended period without being to much for it? RPM's looked to be around 6500-7000 at those speeds and that is not close to the redline. That is exactly what I am looking for a smaller bike that will be easier to put into the truck and take camping, explore the backroads and still be able to take the Fwy to get to a place 60 miles up the road. I used to have a Kawasaki KE175 that I rode al through high school and would take that thing off roading all day and then ride 50 miles back home, but it would just top out at 65 -70 max, and that was pushing it. But it would do it all day long and never give me a problem.

The Dr350 will do 65mph all day long. Change the oil frequently and don't worry about it. You can alter the stock gearing a bit if you find yourself doing longer highway rides. Six speed gearbox will still have a low enough first gear to get you through the tight stuff on the trails.

Thanks for the replies, I spent the day going through the bike and making some minor changes. I put on Pro-Taper ATV-Lo bars and new grips. The oil, filter and chain all look good and clean. I will change the oil and filter as soon as I get the manual I just ordered, tha way I will have all the specs and get it right the first time. I rode for about 3 hours today and really like the bike, it is quite torquey for a smaller bike and has good power. It is light and easy to manuver, but will still get up to speed real quick. I think the PO changed the gearing on the bike, I noticed in the box of goodies he gave to me there is a 14T counter sprocket, and I am assuming it is probably the stock gearing. The 15T is nice it allows me to cruise at 70MPH with no problems. I read online somewhere that the top speed for the 94 DR350 was 75, that must be incorrect, I got up to 85 today and still had more left. The bike feels best between 60-65 mph, so that is what I will try to maintain. I really like the low end power in the bike, it is not rip your arms out, but it is enough to get out of trouble and get the front end up in 1st and 2nd. I just could not get it off the ground in third, but I suspect withe the 14T i probably could. It is a very solid feeling bike and does not feel small or too light on the Fwy. I would not take a 400 mile trip on it, but I bet I could with no problem. It gives me the type of riding I am looking for the ability to ride to the trails, ride around for a while, and get me back home. The only gripe I really have is the small tank, but hey, that is an easy fix if I want to do so, so its really not a complaint. Besides I love the stock graphics and don't want to change them, so the stock tank will stay on.

What kind of MPG's are you guys getting? I'm hearing 65+ MPG, but I have not seen many conflicting numbers. I am not stock in jetting or exhaust so a I would mileage would suffer a bit.