Sign in to follow this  

sxf 250 More power ! How to ?

Hi there, I own a SX-F 250 '08 bought from new. It's been a great bike but being the 1st small bore 4/t mx bike I've owned it doesn't give me much comparison. Its well known that this bike comes standard in a pretty high state of tune. It has good mid an plenty top end/over rev. Its the bottom end that is lacking. To try to remedy this I fitted an FMF megabomb/ Factory 4.1, JE high comp piston and am running it with a Twin Air super flow kit ( No back fire screen ). The pipe made a difference although not where I wanted. It improved mid range slightly and added most to the top end, where I didn't want it.The Twin air kit was worth it,bit expensive but did make a difference. As for the JE high comp piston it seems to have given more problems than its solved. I assumed that the added comp would boost low end without sacrificing top end as the piston itself was a good bit lighter. I'm nearly at the stage where the cylinder head needs refurbished ie. new valve seats,valves,springs,guides,retainers etc. My main query is whether I should rebuild my top end standard with maybe a 'Gas flow' or if it would be worth fitting different cams. I've heard plenty of talk on mixing cams from different year sxf's but this was in reguards to making max Hp. I want improved bottom, same or more mid and top end is ok as is. My only other option seemed to be to fit an '09 head. Having been told that it has better bottom/mid and is much snappier off the throttle. I,d also fit the '09 cdi.

what type of riding are you doing and how are your gearing the bike. You realy have to see what you realy want. Maybe you just need a biger engine.

+1 for Big Bore. Definitely the best choice for more grunt. If that´s not an option (you race MX2 / 250 cc class) then maybe HT Racing torque header and Boyesen Power Wing .

TR 300 kit. The difference is dramatic, I have it on my two 250s, sxf and xcf. Pipes are overrated and overpriced. There is no substitute for cubic inches.