Think I Can Get A Job At The Local Dealer?

It's a full motocross dealer plus other stuff like street bikes and all. I'm fairly familiar with the product lines of gear and stuff (Apparal) and I guess the Parts and Accessories people just call up things on the computer and order parts and retrieve them from a room, maybe offer some advice on the parts. The most I've done on my bike as far as Service is all the basic stuff, replaced the topend, taken the forks apart, replaced some water seals, and fixing to take the shock apart. I'm no mechanic but I do have a bit of experience for basic tasks.

But like I said I'm only 17, have no mechanical schooling and would have to work part time in the afternoon. But I would work for minimum wage, if that makes a difference.

So am I thinking crazy or do I have a shot at it?

Here are the areas available for employment...

Sales

Administration/Office

Finance

Parts and Accessories

Service

Apparel

Well... I would go in and ask them. I am betting you would clean stuff up. I would love to have a job at my local dealer next summer... let me know how this plays out for you. If I cant get a job there I will see if my friends dad will let me work at his shop.

If your looking to be a mechanic at the shop I highly doubt you would stand a chance seeing how you have no schooling. Depending on the size of the shop would probably determine whether or not you would need something as an MMI degree to get you hired. If you wanted to work sales and have a common knowledge of whats sold you could have a better chance but that would all depend on your people skills and whether or not you can pitch. Although im pretty sure that's a commission only job, no sales no paycheck. Try and work in the parts department or something.

like someone said youd probly be put to work cleaning at first. then maybe some parts work ect. i dont think they would put you working on a bike w/o a degree for mechanics. have you taken any automotive classes at highschool? you might get to services bikes and other non-complicated task(not saying you cant do them)

id love to have a job at the local dealership here. but thatd be in a year or so

Go in and talk to him in person. I would ask about a general job, you don't have to be specific. They are going to start you at the bottom. Don't be turned off if you don't get hired right away. Go in and talk with him for a few minutes every once in awhile and they will probably find you a spot sometime.

don't know anything about my bike? you could work at my local dealership

(sorry, not much respect for them)

My grandfather owned a dealership in the seventies, had a guy that wanted to work for him

He told the guy no all the time, but he still came in every day after his other job and helped put bikes together, after a while, he was on the payroll

the format of the modern dealer has (of course) changed, and you would never be allowed to assemble a bike without being an employee, but it was the persistance that got him the job

if you go in often, and show passion for motorcycles and a desire to work around them, they should give you a job(eventually) providing you do everything else right(look respectable, good attitude, ect.)

stay persistant, my grandpa wouldn't even look at an application until the guy had been in three times asking if he had a chance to look at it,

by then, he knew the guy was serious

to get a job at my dealer: be the biggest douchebag you can be and act like you know everything even though the 15 year old kid you are talking to actually knows more than you. for instance, say a guy comes over and your looking at a-star tech 3s. he comes over and says how great and durable they are, and we all know, they are some of the easiest wearing boots ever. then he starts telling me about how his street boots have no wear and he races in them (i wonder why?) anyways.

I know that a lot of dealers are mostly family owned, and they dont much like hiring out of the family. At least thats how it is around here. ?

That how it is where i work. We one of the largest lawn and garden shops in our area. 8 employees all family except for myself. Unfortunately you get treated like family haha.

If you know what a petcock is, and why there is no chain on a particular Suzuki cruiser, you can get a job at Green Country Cycle as a part-time parts guy. They fired a guy that knew what he was doing because he didn't show up too many Saturdays, and hired a guy that "rode ATVs a lot with his family" and that's it. Had no clue what a shaft-driven bike was, much less what other parts were that people needed. It was the biggest face-palm ever when he asked me what a "pit-cock?" is. Unbelievable.

So, chances are if he can get a job, so can you. ?

I had a job at a motorcycle shop in high school, so part time. I started out as a stock boy, I did move up to accessories after about 6 months. The key is if someone asks for help with something help them and if they do not ask for help but look confused help them too. I always kept an ear open to listen to others to learn. It worked for me. Good luck

At 17, I hope your only considering a job in a dealership as a temp gig while attending college.
What do you mean??

...that it is a low paying, high turnover rate....not a lot of people make very good money in this field or it takes along time to "make it"...if you stick it out, it may work out for you. I hope you get the job...

...that it is a low paying, high turnover rate....not a lot of people make very good money in this field or it takes along time to "make it"...if you stick it out, it may work out for you. I hope you get the job...

I was gonna say the same thing when i graduated from high school

I wanted to be a motorcycle mechanic then i went and asked how much they make Top guy was 14 per hour The guys working there told me dont do it

So I moved on but as a student it would be fun