What's that noise???

I've been a honda CRF 450 rider for quite a while but recently bought an 08 RMZ 450. The ride is way different but I'll get used to that. One thing that bothers me is that the Suzuki makes a funny noise after I launch a jump. While I'm in the air with the throttle off there is a ching-ching-ching noise that is in cadence with the back wheel. Is this common on a Suzuki? I put the bike up on the stand and started it up, put it in gear and it makes the same noise when decellerating. Sounds like it's coming from the gear box.

BTW It's an 08 with an 09 motor.

Thanks

That's what I'm hoping. By your answer I'm assuming the noise is not normal?

It doesn't matter what gear I'm in, the noise is the same and always keeps cadence with the wheel. I think I'll take the chain off and see how it sounds on the stand.

Thanks

Mine does the same thing. When the chain is properly tightened, it doesn't do it, however. But once the crap chain stretches a little, even throughout the day, the noise starts up. It's a very tinny sound, like the case guard is loose and rattling, but it's not.

LOL it is the CHAIN... I just picked up a crated 08.5 and during break in I heard it too over the jumps and maining over the table top which gave me or hang time..!

I was worreid also as I had never heard that noise from my Yammy. I checked everything and adjusted the chain (+ lube) and it was fine after.

Not sure but I think the O ring chain stock is not the greatest and it gives in early.

UPDATE

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that noise. The chain is a race chain, not O ring. I did set the tension to spec, about 1.75" at mid swing arm.

I drained the oil, no shavings. then I took out the cylindrical strainer and fished around inside with a magnet. I got some shavings out but I don't know if it's enough to worry about.

the rear wheel is way out of balance, I feel it on the jumps. When it's on the stand the wheel makes the whole swing arm bounce, the noise goes with the bounce. Hope it's just the chain but it sounds like the gear box.

I think I'll ride it some more and check for more shavings or gear chunks at the strainer. The last thing I need is for it to lock up in mid air.

Again, thanks

My rear wheel was also waaaay out of balance. It's due to the wheel lock being so close to the valve stem. I moved the wheel lock so now it's 180 degrees from the valve stem. It's still a little out of balance, but waaaay better. Now I just wish I knew where to get those little black rim plugs to plug the old hole where the wheel lock used to be.