Sign in to follow this  

96-2010 DR650 LED Conversion

Got the leds today! So far I like the blue the best.... I'll wait for it to get dark so I can really see what's going on. The blue seems easier on the eyes and the numbers seem to stand out better. It looks as thought the HP3 gives the best full instrument light. We'll see if it's too bright like the white HP3 was. I'll take some picture tonight and post them....:bonk:

Will be watching;

It is a shame there are not two bulbs in the speedo, it's hard to light the whole dial with the reflected light from one bulb in the back.

Looks like the CNC Billet Rack from FourStrokesOnly.com with optional turn signal mounting tabs. R&D USA

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but I gotta know... where did you get that Tail rack Rob???

It's a ProMoto Billet rack... very cool indeed. I have one on my wife's DR650 as well. Tie down options are limitless so it works great for my Chase Harper bags.... or pretty much anything else you can think of putting on it. I got them from Procycle. I bought the optional turn signal mounts... they also offer pannier guards that bolt on.... :smirk:

Not cheap but......

Here: http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24_80/products_id/190?osCsid=26450a39a7f0dda639b9d0b5e8c9ce6a

OK, so here are the pics. I didn't even include the Red HP3 because it was ridiculously offensive. :smirk: I like the blue HP3 the best. There is an issue with the HP3's though. The bulb is built out of a circuit board where the HP's are a glass bulb base. The circuit board is narrower than the glass base and only has one contact on each side. The glass based HP has double contacts on each side and fits snuggly in the instrument light socket. The HP3's are loose in the socket so some work on the contacts in the socket would need to be done to hold the bulb firmly in place. I think using a pick you could pull out on the copper contacts a bit on each side of the socket to narrow the space between them so the HP3 would fit tight.

Red HP:

RedHP.JPG

Blue HP:

BlueHP.JPG

Blue HP3:

BlueHP3.JPG

Looks good Rob

Thanks for the pictures.

I'm still leaning red, but for the cost I may have get several and try each for a while, then decide.

Still have to get my neutral and turn signal indicator different colors.

This is a picture of the difference between the HP and HP3 74 base. Obviously the HP3's circuit board base is a bit lacking in contact area compared to the HP.

HP_HP3Bases.JPG

OK, for those of you that are thinking of going with the brighter HP3 circuit board style led for the instrument light. I did do some messing with the instrument socket this afternoon.

As previously discussed the socket does have four contact bars that are made of either copper or a copper coated brass, etc. All I did was use a 90 degree o-ring pick to bend the four contacts inward toward the center of the socket slightly. This tightened up the circuit board based HP3 led so it fits nice a snug in the socket and makes good contact. The blue led rulez! :smirk:

Must have missed an earlier thread...........where did you pick these up?

:smirk: HP3 Blue

Quick question on the ELFR-1. I have one here and I am looking at the bike while standing behind it. To the right of the CDI box, is that the relay for the flashers? (it has an orange and blue wire from the wiring harness going into a connector)

If so, my connector is not plug and play. Maybe I am looking at the wrong part?

I just checked the wiring diagram and the relay I was looking at is the turn signal relay. I just need to find some connectors that will work.

Edited by NY T100

Quick question on the ELFR-1. I have one here and I am looking at the bike while standing behind it. To the right of the CDI box, is that the relay for the flashers? (it has an orange and blue wire from the wiring harness going into a connector)

If so, my connector is not plug and play. Maybe I am looking at the wrong part?

I just checked the wiring diagram and the relay I was looking at is the turn signal relay. I just need to find some connectors that will work.

If you have this relay it's connector will plug right into your stock flasher connector and the body will fit in the rubber holder. Try it... you'll like it. :smirk:

My ELFR-1 must have a wider connector because it does not fit. However, I removed the wiring ends from the plastic connector and they fit right onto my wiring harness. Anyone have a source for OEM wiring connectors?

I installed LED Crash Advantage Turn Signals from Procycle, LED relay, Diode kit, LED Tailight bulb and LED's in the instruments per Rob's instructions.... very cool and the best part it all works!:bonk:

I got a white hp and a blue hp3 for the speedo but the hp3 would stay lit for 3 seconds and then start blinking:excuseme: I shot off an email to CustomLED to see if it's faulty.

So the blue speedo will have to wait.

Pics look just like Rob's.

Thanks again Rob :excuseme:

I installed LED Crash Advantage Turn Signals from Procycle, LED relay, Diode kit, LED Tailight bulb and LED's in the instruments per Rob's instructions.... very cool and the best part it all works!:bonk:

I got a white hp and a blue hp3 for the speedo but the hp3 would stay lit for 3 seconds and then start blinking:excuseme: I shot off an email to CustomLED to see if it's faulty.

So the blue speedo will have to wait.

Pics look just like Rob's.

Thanks again Rob :excuseme:

Cool! Did you do the socket pin mod I posted for the HP3 bulb? That was required for my HP3 to work properly. No big deal... you are just tightening up the contact pins in the socket for the circuit board based HP3. If you did then maybe you do have a bad bulb. My blue HP3 is really nice.... What a difference compared to the wife's stock bulb instrument at night. Haven't got around to doing the conversion on hers yet. :smirk:

Cool! Did you do the socket pin mod I posted for the HP3 bulb? QUOTE]

I did mess with the socket pins until the bulb fit tight...I guess I could start a new trend with speedo strobe light shows....mmm different colors, different flash rates...sounds like a disaster to me :excuseme:

Rob,

I like all the conversions you have made and it has really insprired me to do this myself, however I have a quick question...If you convert to the led bulb in the indicator lights and put in the LED flasher, do you still need the load resistor in the turn signal indicator wiring line??

My ELFR-1 must have a wider connector because it does not fit. However, I removed the wiring ends from the plastic connector and they fit right onto my wiring harness. Anyone have a source for OEM wiring connectors?

Hmmm, I was concerned that I might be leading folks astray here so I did some checking. There is a part number difference between the 96 and 09 DR650's for the turn signal flasher.... but the connector looks identical in all years. The ELFR-1 does have a 3pin connector housing (wider) but it only has two pins and the stock Suzuki wiring harness connector plugs right into it. Here are some pictures from my wife's 05 DR650 which is identical to my 99 DR650. If anyone's connector looks different than what is below I retract my statement of plug-and-playness. :excuseme::bonk:

Unplugged:

ELFR-1_1.JPG

Plugged:

ELFR-1_2.JPG

Edited by mx_rob