96-2010 DR650 LED Conversion

My 07 plugged right in too. The ELFR-1's female plug is wider but the bike's male just plugs in off to one side.

Quick question... I have an Acewell speedo which contains separate flashers for the left and right turn signals. When installing, I didn't add or change the turn signal wiring (AFAIK) but I was happy to find out when everything was hooked up that each turn signal had its own flasher in the speedo 'pod' and they worked correctly (left for left, right for right). Ok, maybe the question wasn't so quick...

SO - do I need the diode kit since I don't seem to have a "single flasher" in my dashboard anymore?

Quick question... I have an Acewell speedo which contains separate flashers for the left and right turn signals. When installing, I didn't add or change the turn signal wiring (AFAIK) but I was happy to find out when everything was hooked up that each turn signal had its own flasher in the speedo 'pod' and they worked correctly (left for left, right for right). Ok, maybe the question wasn't so quick...

SO - do I need the diode kit since I don't seem to have a "single flasher" in my dashboard anymore?

No, the shared single indicator is the reason you'd need the one way gate (diode). With individual dash indicators the left and right systems are isolated. :excuseme:

No, the shared single indicator is the reason you'd need the one way gate (diode). With individual dash indicators the left and right systems are isolated. :excuseme:

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks Rob. :bonk:

Just a follow up note, Custom LED sent me a new LED for the speedo to replace the faulty one.No questions asked. Great customer service and fast!

Just a little tweeking of the receiver pins and the speedo is blue!

Thanks again for the write up Rob:thumbsup:

Well this is interesting:

Acerbis presents the first DOT-certified headlight on the market featuring LED light bulbs. The LED lights provide a sleek look while providing brighter, safer lights at night, enhancing the rider’s visibility. Due to the low energy consumption of the LED’s, they may remain on while the bike is parked.

5280.jpg

5277.jpg

And on the DRZ forum....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769126&highlight=acerbis+vision

I'm a little stumped here. I have the front off for a handle bar change and I looked at the bulbs. The speed-o bulb is a slight bit larger the the inst. bulbs.

I take it the inst. bulbs are the 74's, what is the speed-o bulb #

My panel has two greens also, has anyone tried an amber under the green lens?

stumped skunk >"V"<

I'm a little stumped here. I have the front off for a handle bar change and I looked at the bulbs. The speed-o bulb is a slight bit larger the the inst. bulbs.

I take it the inst. bulbs are the 74's, what is the speed-o bulb #

My panel has two greens also, has anyone tried an amber under the green lens?

stumped skunk >"V"<

The instrument light is still a 74 socket... yeah the standard bulb is bigger in size . The 74 base leds plug right in though. Go for the HP or HP3's in the speedo. :excuseme:

I've got the 2 green lenses too, I put the amber under the turn indicator and it lights up amber very nicely.

I've got the 2 green lenses too, I put the amber under the turn indicator and it lights up amber very nicely.

I figured that might be the case but never tried that color combo before. Since leds are spectrum specific they produce a much stronger color than a white multi spectrum incandescent bulb. The led simply over-powers the ability of the green (or whatever color) lens to filter out the amber light wave lengths. Success with this may vary based on the led's power and the lens it is trying to show through.... but I know a red HP led makes the amber rear turn signal lens on my Gold Wing look just like a brake light. That is also the reason a white led washes out any colored lens (red becomes pink, etc).

Now all we need is for the development on led headlights/bulbs to hurry up. Then our measly 200w stators (DR650) won't be all the measly... we'll have plenty of extra power for those heated grips and vests and ????? :excuseme:

Edited by mx_rob
Rob,

I like all the conversions you have made and it has really insprired me to do this myself, however I have a quick question...If you convert to the led bulb in the indicator lights and put in the LED flasher, do you still need the load resistor in the turn signal indicator wiring line??

Wow caymanwent I totally missed this post. Sorry about that. :bonk: You don't need load resistor(s) if you use the led flasher... but you still need the diode for the single flasher indicator light.... either that or remove the flasher indicator bulb... without one or the other all of your turn signals will flash at once. :excuseme:

Wow caymanwent I totally missed this post. Sorry about that. :bonk: You don't need load resistor(s) if you use the led flasher... but you still need the diode for the single flasher indicator light.... either that or remove the flasher indicator bulb... without one or the other all of your turn signals will flash at once. :excuseme:

Thanks for the response, Rob...I wasn't put out by the delay in response...I know you have your hands full working on your bike(s) and writing all these responses...So, just so I am 100% clear...If I change my flasher indicator bulb to an LED, I still need the diode but if I don't use an indicator bulb then my flashers will work with only the flasher unit?? This might actually be an advantage as I am planning on installing an indicator buzzer to remind me when my flashers are on...sometimes I forget and have realised quite quickly how much of a liability having a flasher flashing can be when you are riding...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Indicator-Turn-Signal-Warning-Buzzer_W0QQitemZ180353488560QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item29fde7d6b0

Now all we need is for the development on led headlights/bulbs to hurry up. Then our measly 200w stators (DR650) won't be all the measly... we'll have plenty of extra power for those heated grips and vests and ????? :excuseme:

35W HID headlight.

LED blinkers/brakes/dash lights.

Wye wound stator...

What more could you need?

Thanks for the response, Rob...I wasn't put out by the delay in response...I know you have your hands full working on your bike(s) and writing all these responses...So, just so I am 100% clear...If I change my flasher indicator bulb to an LED, I still need the diode but if I don't use an indicator bulb then my flashers will work with only the flasher unit?? This might actually be an advantage as I am planning on installing an indicator buzzer to remind me when my flashers are on...sometimes I forget and have realised quite quickly how much of a liability having a flasher flashing can be when you are riding...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Indicator-Turn-Signal-Warning-Buzzer_W0QQitemZ180353488560QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item29fde7d6b0

That is correct.... still need the diode to isolate the left and right systems to prevent bleed over if you use the shared indicator bulb. In fact since the led is polarity sensitive it really goofs up the flashers without the diode. Make sure you ask the seller if this buzzer is led compatible (diode in the wiring) or you could end up with the same bleed over issue. :excuseme:

35W HID headlight.

LED blinkers/brakes/dash lights.

Wye wound stator...

What more could you need?

True dat! :excuseme:

Wow caymanwent I totally missed this post. Sorry about that. :cheers: You don't need load resistor(s) if you use the led flasher... but you still need the diode for the single flasher indicator light.... either that or remove the flasher indicator bulb... without one or the other all of your turn signals will flash at once. :banghead:

Rob,

when you get time

I have the led's & the turn sig's. I'll order the diode, where should I splice the diode in at (wire ID) location,,,maybe at the bottom of the 3 light dash pod?

help

I went to Metric Specialties in Burbank today. Came home with a big bag of SS. The down time on the shock upgrade is costing me $

Rob,

when you get time

I have the led's & the turn sig's. I'll order the diode, where should I splice the diode in at (wire ID) location,,,maybe at the bottom of the 3 light dash pod?

help

I went to Metric Specialties in Burbank today. Came home with a big bag of SS. The down time on the shock upgrade is costing me $

Review post #1 of this thread about mid-page. Where to splice and wire colors are all there. :banghead:

I went to the M/C show in Long Beach (CA) this a.m.

A lot of good deals to be had. I stopped by to say hi to Rocky at Bill Meyer Saddles. I picked up a nice quality HID lighting bulb, ballast, harness w/high & low beam $65.00 & a few other goodies. (Galfer brake lines front and rear $100) When I got home I started on the diode splice for the LEDS. The wires on mt 06' are light green & black The HID is plug and play, all the connections are snap plug w/silicone seals. I just cut the opening larger on the bulb boot behind the head light lens and slipped it on.

I have to say Ducati gals are:thumbsup:

I finished the LED turn signal installation, even a fat finger'd old man like me can do it. Just watch out for the pointy end of the soldering pencil.:banghead:

(Thanks ROB!)

Then came the Xe Blue HID light conversion kit. www.xeblue.com (the pic of the kit on the website shows the dual lamp set) They also have low beam only for $60

All you do is run two wires to the battery, unplug the H4, remove the old bulb, put in the new high/low switched shielded bulb, plug it in, & tuck in the wires. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/S2Wizard/IMG_1204.jpg

I did not use the Suzuki factory wireing sack/thing, I used a small sheet of 3mil fire shield tywraped & rubber bands.

I needed to get a little creative and tuck in the ballast and switching box. It fit nicely inside the lens mounts. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/S2Wizard/IMG_1206.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/S2Wizard/IMG_1205.jpg

The 650 headlight faring fits snug, but I have a few other things going on in there. I had to move the speed'o over for the dampener. A longer brake line is on the way.

For $65 I had $ left over to by Galfer pads

nice post but im still a bit new to wiring and i have 94dr350s and im wanting to change out my stock signals with some led ones.. and im wanting to change out my headlight to at mx1west.com

Manufacturer: Acerbis

Acerbis USA #: 214043-0001

the wattage of this is 50watts

what signals would you suggest using and what will i need to change out to get the front and back signals and the headlight to work? thanks