Sign in to follow this  

96-2010 DR650 LED Conversion

Rob,

Sorry if this has been answered in the thread, I couldn't find it. I ordered and installed everything in your first post with perfect results except I too have a green neutral and turn signal lens. I can fix that but the problem is this: I put the amber bulb in the turn signal spot just to see the results and it only worked when I lit the left turn signal. Since I know that LED's have a polarity, I switched the LED and then it only worked when I lit the right turn signal??

What's the deal?

BTW - as so many have already said, thanks for the time you spend sharing your mods with us.

Rob,

Sorry if this has been answered in the thread, I couldn't find it. I ordered and installed everything in your first post with perfect results except I too have a green neutral and turn signal lens. I can fix that but the problem is this: I put the amber bulb in the turn signal spot just to see the results and it only worked when I lit the left turn signal. Since I know that LED's have a polarity, I switched the LED and then it only worked when I lit the right turn signal??

What's the deal?

BTW - as so many have already said, thanks for the time you spend sharing your mods with us.

You need the diode kit they were talking about. You'll need to run the earth of the LED globe to earth, then a +ve wire from each turn signal to the single LED +ve with diodes in each line so all four signals don't light together

You need the diode kit they were talking about. You'll need to run the earth of the LED globe to earth, then a +ve wire from each turn signal to the single LED +ve with diodes in each line so all four signals don't light together

This is for the turn signal indicator light in the dash? Sounds like a lotta' work just to get a brighter light. I may skip this one. The other two in the dash work great as well as the one I put in the speedo.

Hmmm, I've changed all the bulbs to LED - except the headlight which is HID and the turn signals and turn signal indicator. And added VisionX LED driving lights. Also did the kit so I have LED red running and brake lights in the rear turn signal housings.

I've since put in a Vapor Speedo but I did like the blue LEDs in the original speedometer (until the speedo died).

The only reason I didn't change the turn signal indicator was the polarity issue. Guess I'll get the diode kit and do that. Still don't know for sure about the turn signals themselves....

i changed all my turn signals to led and installed a led flasher but now i need to know where and how to wire my signal beeper i made from the instructions on adv rider? it has to be in a spot where it wont bleed over from one side to the other. could i put the pos wire on the flasher out wire and the ground to the frame?

This is for the turn signal indicator light in the dash? Sounds like a lotta' work just to get a brighter light. I may skip this one. The other two in the dash work great as well as the one I put in the speedo.

Not really for a brighter light... for any light in the dash indicator socket you will have to use the diode kit.... otherwise with the standard bulb all of your led blinkers will fire at once due to current bleed over through the common indicator wiring. So you either get the diode kit or leave the turn signal indicator socket empty. If you do get the diode kit then your led in the indicator panel will work properly as well. :ride:

This is from MXROB's 1st. post on page 1.

I needed my single flasher indicator to work so I installed a Kuryakyn 4709 diode kit in the flasher indicator bulb circuit. I bought mine from Bikerhiway.com for $7. DennisKirk and many others stock these diode kits. I removed the headlight/number plate cowl and just followed the wires back from the indicator panel until it hit a plugged connector. On the main harness side of the connector I cut the light green w/gray dashes wire and the black w/gray dashes wire a ways back from the connector. (the wires actually change at the connector to black w/light green stripe and solid black on the instrument panel side of the connector. One of the clipped wires (doesn't matter which one) that lead to the instrument panel needs to be hooked to ground. I used the available black w/white stripe (ground) wire in the cowling connector group and hooked it to the black wire. The solid green wire that goes to the panel hooks to the blue wire on the diode kit. The other two red wires from the diode kit hook to the wiring harness side of the clipped green and black wires. Test your panel indicator.... if it doesn't light pull the bulb and spin it 180 degrees.

Read it until you understand it. It will help if you are looking at the bike wiring at the same time. Look at the wiring diagram in the MM if you have trouble.

1 each. diode (instructions came with the one I bought)

It took very little time to do it.

Thanks to ROB!